eabrophy

I-129F Questions on what constitudes "residency" when listing my residences for the past 5 years.

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Argentina
Timeline

Hi, 

I am a petitioner filing for a K-1 Visa. In Part 1, Question 9 of the I-129F form, it asks you to list your address history for the past 5 years.

I've done a lot of moving around in the past few years and not sure what actually merits a change in address that I should list on the application. I lived two years at an apartment in my home city, then moved back into my parents house for a month, then backpacked through Central America for 10 months, then moved back into my parents house for 8 months, and then moved to Argentina where I've been for the past year and a half. In that time, I have continued to list my parents house as my permanent residency for purposes of voting, receiving mail, paying taxes, etc. However, last year I did apply for the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion on my taxes and listed Argentina as my "de facto" residency.

I'm leaning towards listing the home city apartment, my parents house, and then the two main residencies I've had while living in Argentina (as these have been more permanent living situations vs. constantly traveling), but I don't want to accidentally leave anything off. 

This comes up  again on Question 50 where it asks you to list all US states and foreign countries where you have resided. I went to college in FL, but again, continued to have my permanent address and legal residency in Colorado, and while I've been here in Argentina for 2 years, I am not a legal resident of Argentina.

Any suggestions for how to fill this part out? Thank you in advance!

Timeline

Personally I listed all places (including college residence and study abroad programs) as separate entries and locales. If it was a short vacation of say 3 weeks or less or where I was moving constantly from place to place, I did not list it.

Of course that entailed a relatively complicated listing of places but it was thorough. The CO complimented us on our good documentation but I don't know if that portion of our application was in his mind when he said that.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Legal or not you need to list all the countries you've been living because I don't know for the K1 petitioner they will ask you to present the Police Certificate, but probably they will look in your passport that you've been in Argentina for a long time.

You can send a email to the Embassy en Buenos Aires, they answer super fast. (We are here too).

Good luck.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.