peacan

September 2019, bringing parents of a US citizen to the US

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

If you live in the US, file for I-130 here, I live in AZ so I filed for the lockbox facility in Phoenix, then it was transferred to Texas Service Center for further processing. Once I-130 approved, they will notify you to file for another form. One step at a time 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

@peacan thanks for your response. Which is the next form ? I693 ? Also would you mind sharing what documents you sent ? Based on USCIS website, they asked for USC naturalization certificate, USC birth certificate showing parents names, parents marriage certificate. Parents are not divorced previously as well as no name changes so dont need any of that proof. Is there more ?

Timeline

Payment, I paid by CC

I-130

My birth certificate with both parents’ names on it

Copy of my US passport 

I-864 will be filed later upon request when I-130 is approved. File separately for each parent, two smaller envelopes in one big USPS flat rate envelope. 

Timeline
24 minutes ago, peacan said:

Payment, I paid by CC

I-130

My birth certificate with both parents’ names on it

Copy of my US passport 

I-864 will be filed later upon request when I-130 is approved. File separately for each parent, two smaller envelopes in one big USPS flat rate envelope. 

Wow, that sounds so easy, as compared to the I130 when my spouse filed for me. Another question, do your parents have a visitor visa ? what happens to the visitor visa after filing I130 ? can they visit while I130 is pending ?

Timeline

Those are two different things it won’t affect the I-130. My parents have never been to the US. When yours are in the states you should be able to apply to adjust their status I believe it’s I-485. Check with Emma first to see if you can do so. Some people bring their parents to the states then adjust this could be considered as visa fraud. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, peacan said:

Those are two different things it won’t affect the I-130. My parents have never been to the US. When yours are in the states you should be able to apply to adjust their status I believe it’s I-485. Check with Emma first to see if you can do so. Some people bring their parents to the states then adjust this could be considered as visa fraud. 

Dont want to do that. So wont be applying while they are in states. However wanted to understand the visitor visa situation as visitor is a immigrant visa and by applying I130 the intent to immigrate is clear, so not sure. 

Timeline

You may apply anytime wherever they are. You may want to do so sooner than later to get them in line. It’s 6-9 moths to get approved as of right now. That’s national average, Texas and Vermont are faster while California sucks 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.