Edward Becnel

Use K1 Alien Registration Number for K2 on I-485?

7 posts in this topic

I am filling out the I-485 AOS for my new wife (the primary K-1 visa beneficiary) and her son (the K-2 visa beneficiary). The mother's alien registration number was hand-written by immigration at the port of entry on the visa page of the son's passport, so should I use this alien registration number for the son or should I leave this blank on the I-485? I have seen other related questions here on VisaJourney.com in which the answers mentioned that the A-number for the K-2 visa holder will be issued after the AOS is completed, so I am guessing that I should leave this blank. I am asking only because it is hand-written on the son's visa.

Edited by Edward Becnel

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
15 minutes ago, Edward Becnel said:

I am filling out the I-485 AOS for my new wife (the primary K-1 visa beneficiary) and her son (the K-2 visa beneficiary). The mother's alien registration number was hand-written by immigration at the port of entry on the visa page of the son's passport, so should I use this alien registration number for the son or should I leave this blank on the I-485? I have seen other related questions here on VisaJourney.com in which the answers mentioned that the A-number for the K-2 visa holder will be issued after the AOS is completed, so I am guessing that I should leave this blank. I am asking only because it is hand-written on the son's visa.

K2 does not yet have an A number 

YMMV

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

You should notice your K2 stepson's Alien # (A#) on his Form I-797 NOA1, Receipt for AOS filing.  Not a good idea to use your wife's A#, since it isn't his number. USCIS knows that the K2's A # shouldn't be on the initial I-485 application, they haven't issued one to him yet.

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Edited by Pitaya

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

9 minutes ago, Pitaya said:

You should notice your K2 stepson's Alien # (A#) on his Form I-797 NOA1, Receipt for AOS filing.  Not a good idea to use your wife's A#, since it isn't his number. USCIS knows that the K2's A # shouldn't be on the initial I-485 application, they haven't issued one to him yet.

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Thank you for the clarification. I will leave the A# blank on his AOS filing.

Timeline
14 minutes ago, Edward Becnel said:

Thank you for the clarification. I will leave the A# blank on his AOS filing.

Did you concurrently apply for EAD/AP for your wife and stepson? Concurrent filing for the spouse is an easy one to justify. However, one way for the stepson to get his SSN is to have a EAD. Likely quicker than waiting for his 2-yr conditional GC.

Just a thought from someone that has already been down that rabbit hole in our immigration journey....

:time:It helps everyone that uses the forum.

Edited by Pitaya

Just now, Pitaya said:

Did you concurrently apply for EAD/AP for your wife and stepson? Concurrent filing for the spouse is an easy one to justify. However, one way for the stepson to get his SSN is to have a EAD. Likely quicker than waiting for his 2-yr conditional GC.

Just a thought from someone that has already been down that rabbit hole in our immigration journey....

No, I haven't done that yet, but I will, thanks to your suggestion!

Timeline

If the AOS/EAD/AP are filed concurrently, the application fees for the EAD/AP are waived. When compared to the AOS, they are easy to fill out. Use the VJ filled out example forms for guidance.

Refer to the Special Instruction tab on this USCIS link for details: https://www.uscis.gov/i-485

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.