Jump to content

Affidavit of Support and Intended Address

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello all! I have a two part question. My husband (the beneficiary) and I (the sponsor) are still in the USCIS stage for my CR1 spousal visa but I'm starting to prepare our documents for the NVC stage. I currently make about 80,000 gross income as a full time employed RN. By the time our case gets moved to the NVC stage, I will have been working at my job for slightly over 1 year. Therefore, I would hopefully be able to send in my new W2 to the NVC by January 2020. However, before having this job, I was a student and made less than 10,000 each year, which can be seen on my tax return forms for the past two years. Therefore, I currently make well over the poverty line for this year (November 2018-present) However, I made well below the annual income needed for a household of two for the two previous years because I was a student at the time. I would be able to provide a letter from my employer stating that I am a full time employee in good standing, however I want to know if I should get a joint sponsor as well. I know providing the past 3 years of tax returns are optional but I will still have to write how much I made the two previous years on the I-864 document, which looks bad, in my opinion. Do you think if I just provide the W2 from this past year, along with a letter from my employer and recent pay stubs, it will be sufficient without having to get an RFE? Has anyone else been in this situation? 


Also, the second part to my question is that I currently live with my parents, so that I can save money until my husband gets here. However, by the time he gets here (God willing sometime early-mid next year) I will have already bought an apartment so that we can just move in together when he gets here. My question is, I believe that soon I will have to state where our intended address we will be staying is. I don't want to put my parent's house address because although I'm living there now, I don't intend to live there when my husband is here. But at the same time, I don't have an apartment of my own yet. Is is just easier if I get an apartment now so that I can provide this address as our intended address? Would it also be easier to be living on my own at this point so that if I did need a joint sponsor, I would only have to say that my current household members are 2 (my husband and I) as opposed to 4 (my husband and I along with both my parents)? 


I hope I didn't confuse anyone with  my questions, I just tend to overthink things too much and I'm confused what to do now at this point. Any answers/advise would be so greatly appreciated! Thank you!! 

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Kani2015 said:

however I want to know if I should get a joint sponsor as well.

No, with your income, there is absolutely no problem. I was making about the same amount a couple years ago as you are now and I used my income only when I sponsored my Mom and nobody said a thing. And my household size was 5 (me, wife, 2 kids and Mom). Current income is king. By the time you get to the interview, you’ll have one year of income to show. 


1 hour ago, Kani2015 said:

Is is just easier if I get an apartment now so that I can provide this address as our intended address?

I wouldn’t alter your plans of how/when to buy just because of that reason. Just fill out the address as it is when you fill you the NVC forms.  

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

hello !!!

From my own experience  . 


first part when your file goes the the NVC . just do everything pay the fees finish the formes . exapet dont upload your tax transcript . till you get them from the IRS . you will have whole 1 year to contact them . and dont tell them anything only when they ask for it in the interview .


second part of your question .

 just give them your parents address . and when he gets his visa in his hand . just change the address when you pay for his greencard and plus change it in USPS system because the address they will use it only to send him his greencard thats it . and good luck !!!


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...