megs1017

Fiance with Criminal Backgroud

3 posts in this topic

I've been with my fiance for the past 4.5 years. We've done long distance between New Jersey USA & Copenhagen Denmark. He's an Englishman with a CPR in Denmark. This past March he got into an altercation with a taxi driver. The driver's payment system wasn't working and he refused to give my fiance his credit card back. There was a back and forth struggle over the card (after fiance asked to be taken to an ATM for cash) and eventually my fiance wound up biting the cab drivers hand. It was a moment of frustration and insanity and one he's ashamed and embarrassed by. The cab driver called the police and my fiance waited patiently and didn't have anymore interaction with the cab driver. The police returned the card to my fiance but also took him into the station but released him about a few hours later. We didn't think anything else would come of it until about 2 weeks ago when he was given a court date. His court date was last Monday and he was found guilty and sentenced to 40 days in an open jail in Denmark. Now we need to decide whether to appeal the case, which the lawyer said the guilty verdict would likely not be reversed as Danish Taxi drivers are now treated like fireman or police in the city after a footballer attacked a taxi driver twice. We're currently trying to have our US immigration lawyer translate the charges into US law but everything feels very much up in the air. Do we appeal for a lesser sentence (or suspended sentence) which means he wouldn't do actual jail time or does that matter at all. Also does this incident sound like something that will deny his entry to the US? I am a USC living in NJ. Please any advice would help! I'm feeling pretty hopeless as we have waiting so long to be finally start our lives and be together. 

13 minutes ago, megs1017 said:

Also does this incident sound like something that will deny his entry to the US?

It is hard to tell without the knowing what exactly he was found guilty of and what that charge translates into US system (was it assault, public disturbance, ....) and was it considered a misdemeanor or felony?

13 minutes ago, megs1017 said:

40 days in an open jail

Now the real question, what is an open jail? It’s prison with the door open? OMG, that is such a European thing.

Edited by USS_Voyager

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Depends on what the maximum sentence was, not what he served.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.