Isoversa

Next step after blank 221g

39 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello guys! I have been reading here on this site for some time, but I would like to see if there are any others who are/were in the same same situation as mine. I am hoping if anyone is familiar with my situation who can shed some light. So I am a Filipina, formerly married, currently being petitioned for a K1 visa. After a few years in the US, my Filipino husband found someone else and got married for some years but eventually got divorced due to differences. He naturalized years after the divorce. Now it gets complicated since my ex-husband is also my current fiance, that is, he and I are getting back together and we have biological children that are in the US. We have submitted valid divorce decrees both for our divorce and his divorce with his 2nd wife.

So the interview, 4 months back, went alright. Only a few questions were asked, but I was surprised that the consular officer asked for "Recognition of foreign divorce" in the form of a 221g document, as what I have read before mentions that my divorce does not need to be recognized in the Philippine courts as we would not be marrying here again. So with the help of an immigration attorney, we were somehow able to address this, and after a week or so, they issued me another 221g, this time without the need for additional documentation, but only mentions that my case is currently in AP. It has been around 4 months since my interview. I know it can take months or even years for AP to be completed, but I would like to know if anyone has been in the same situation. I know AP tends to be a little faster in the Manila embassy but some of the things I'm thinking that are delaying it would be the remarriage. Do I need to be doing anything else now, since the 221g is blank, other than watchful waiting? Thank you in advance for your replies!

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
4 hours ago, Isoversa said:

Hello guys! I have been reading here on this site for some time, but I would like to see if there are any others who are/were in the same same situation as mine. I am hoping if anyone is familiar with my situation who can shed some light. So I am a Filipina, formerly married, currently being petitioned for a K1 visa. After a few years in the US, my Filipino husband found someone else and got married for some years but eventually got divorced due to differences. He naturalized years after the divorce. Now it gets complicated since my ex-husband is also my current fiance, that is, he and I are getting back together and we have biological children that are in the US. We have submitted valid divorce decrees both for our divorce and his divorce with his 2nd wife.

So the interview, 4 months back, went alright. Only a few questions were asked, but I was surprised that the consular officer asked for "Recognition of foreign divorce" in the form of a 221g document, as what I have read before mentions that my divorce does not need to be recognized in the Philippine courts as we would not be marrying here again. So with the help of an immigration attorney, we were somehow able to address this, and after a week or so, they issued me another 221g, this time without the need for additional documentation, but only mentions that my case is currently in AP. It has been around 4 months since my interview. I know it can take months or even years for AP to be completed, but I would like to know if anyone has been in the same situation. I know AP tends to be a little faster in the Manila embassy but some of the things I'm thinking that are delaying it would be the remarriage. Do I need to be doing anything else now, since the 221g is blank, other than watchful waiting? Thank you in advance for your replies!

Did you post this earlier also?  Otherwise you are the 2nd person that I know of where a CO has issued a 221g for "Recognition of foreign divorce" .. which like you stated .. Is not required if not marrying in the Philippines.

Do keep us posted on your AP status .. 

I think the CO that issued the 221g "recognition of foreign divorce" is new or an idiot .. maybe both.  And might of gotten their nose bent out of shape by the immigration attorney "educating him/her" ... thus the long AP.

Not sure what you can do except to keep in contact with the embassy ..

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
20 hours ago, Hank_ said:

Did you post this earlier also?  Otherwise you are the 2nd person that I know of where a CO has issued a 221g for "Recognition of foreign divorce" .. which like you stated .. Is not required if not marrying in the Philippines.

Do keep us posted on your AP status .. 

I think the CO that issued the 221g "recognition of foreign divorce" is new or an idiot .. maybe both.  And might of gotten their nose bent out of shape by the immigration attorney "educating him/her" ... thus the long AP.

Not sure what you can do except to keep in contact with the embassy ..

Other than posting it in the K1 subforum yesterday, I have not posted my case prior, so I guess there's at least one other person who got the same "issue".

Yes, I'll keep you posted on my status. It's currently going 2 months without any update on the "case last updated". It used to be updated for 1 - 2 weeks at a time around 4 months ago. I send an email to the embassy at least once a month but I always get the canned text reply. I do hope it might get resolved soon.

By the way do you have any idea what happens with the K1 if let's say one of my children petition me via a family-based petition while my case is still in AP?

Timeline

If that were to happen and your K-1 was still active and you wanted to switch, write them a letter stating to cancel your K-1, then pursue the family visa.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
21 hours ago, Hank_ said:

If that were to happen and your K-1 was still active and you wanted to switch, write them a letter stating to cancel your K-1, then pursue the family visa.

Thank you for the advice. I'm thinking of going that route in case the K1 is not approved, as the CR1 is not an option in our case.

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Just an update for my case, after several follow-ups with the embassy, I got an email today asking me to send in my passport. It didn't mention of any approval yet or that AP is finally done, but I'm inclined to think this might lead to the issuance of the awaited visa. I mean, hopefully. 

Now my problem is, since it took a long time in AP, I'm down to like, ~10 days before the expiry of my medical exam results. Assuming they will issue me a visa soon, I may or may not make it in time in 10 days, if we take into account how long it takes from receiving my passport, to me receiving it back. I believe the embassy is aware of my medical results expiring soon, but should I give them a heads up on this? Or should I just expect to get a new 221g for a new medical exam? 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Isoversa said:

Just an update for my case, after several follow-ups with the embassy, I got an email today asking me to send in my passport. It didn't mention of any approval yet or that AP is finally done, but I'm inclined to think this might lead to the issuance of the awaited visa. I mean, hopefully. 

Now my problem is, since it took a long time in AP, I'm down to like, ~10 days before the expiry of my medical exam results. Assuming they will issue me a visa soon, I may or may not make it in time in 10 days, if we take into account how long it takes from receiving my passport, to me receiving it back. I believe the embassy is aware of my medical results expiring soon, but should I give them a heads up on this? Or should I just expect to get a new 221g for a new medical exam? 

Plan on a new medical.  I would advise them of this 

YMMV

Timeline
3 hours ago, Isoversa said:

Being there is a short time frame left for the medical, thus visa validity, expect the embassy to be contacting you to find out if you can travel and clear POE quickly.  Otherwise expect to complete a new medical

Do you have CFO completed?

Edited by Hank_

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

3 hours ago, Hank_ said:

Hi Hank, can we complete a CFO while waiting on administrative processing to complete? 

Jun 10, 2019 First Interview at US Embassy Manila, 07:40 AM resulted to refusal pending:

1. I-601 Waiver for Inadmissibility
2. 221G Document on Advisory on Marriage (send with Passport)
Jun 19, 2019 Sent 221G Document on Advisory on Marriage (send with Passport)
Jun 20, 2019 Courier delivery of 221G Document on Advisory on Marriage and Passport
Jun 21, 2019 Sent I-601 Waiver package to USCIS Nebraska Service Center
Jun 23, 2019 Courier confirmed delivery of I-601 Waiver
Jun 24, 2019 USCIS receipt of I-601 Waiver
Jun 25, 2019 US Embassy Manila receipt of 221G Document on Advisory on Marriage and Passport
Jul 3, 2019 Filed for USCIS expedite processing of I-601 Waiver
Jul 15, 2019 USCIS denied request for expedite of I-601 Waiver
Jul 25, 2019 Filed for NEW request for USCIS expedite processing of I-601 Waiver
Aug 9, 2019 USCIS approval of I-601 Waiver of Inadmissibility
Aug 9, 2019 US Embassy Manila receipt of notification from USCIS of Approved I-601 Waiver
Aug 14, 2019 CEAC status is Administrative Processing
Aug 19, 31, 2019 CEAC "Case Last Updated Date" change but status is the same
Sep 3, 4, 6, 11, 2019 CEAC "Case Last Updated Date" change but status is the same
Sep 12, 2019 Reached out to Cong. Napolitano
Sep 13, 2019 CEAC "Case Last Updated Date" change but status is the same
Sep 14, 2019 Received letter dated Sep 10. Your visa application is refused for Administrative Processing. You will be informed when processing is complete.
Sep 16, 2019 CEAC "Case Last Updated Date" change but status is the same
Sep 17, 2019 Cong. Napolitano forwarded response by Embassy dated Sep 16, XXXXX case is pending the completion of administrative processing in order to verify her qualifications for this visa.

Sep 17 & 30, 2019 CEAC "Case Last Updated Date" change but status is the same

Oct 7 & 8, 2019 CEAC "Case Last Updated Date" change but status is the same

Oct 11,17, 22, 2019 CEAC "Case Last Updated Date" change but status is the same

Oct 29, 2019 CEAC "Case Last Updated Date" change but status is the same

Timeline
12 minutes ago, DAWme said:

Hi Hank, can we complete a CFO while waiting on administrative processing to complete? 

Can be completed at anytime 

YMMV

On 8/21/2019 at 9:05 PM, Isoversa said:

they issued me another 221g, this time without the need for additional documentation, but only mentions that my case is currently in AP. 

On 8/21/2019 at 9:05 PM, Isoversa said:

221g is blank,

IS THIS WHAT YOU MEAN WHEN YOU SAY BLANK 221G? I GOT JUST THIS MARKED AND NOTHING ELSE DOWN BELOW.

image.png.c74abdef6d5c42b2705e3f904803c1bd.png

Jun 10, 2019 First Interview at US Embassy Manila, 07:40 AM resulted to refusal pending:

Jun 20, 2019 Courier delivery of 221G Document on Advisory on Marriage and Passport
Jun 25, 2019 US Embassy Manila receipt of 221G Document on Advisory on Marriage and Passport
Jul 25, 2019 Filed for NEW request for USCIS expedite processing of I-601 Waiver
Aug 9, 2019 US Embassy Manila receipt of notification from USCIS of Approved I-601 Waiver
Sep 3, 4, 6, 11, 2019 CEAC "Case Last Updated Date" change but status is the same
Sep 14, 2019 Received letter dated Sep 10. Your visa application is refused for Administrative Processing. You will be informed when processing is complete.
Sep 17, 2019 Cong. Napolitano forwarded response by Embassy dated Sep 16, XXXXX case is pending the completion of administrative processing in order to verify her qualifications for this visa.

Timeline
7 hours ago, payxibka said:

Plan on a new medical.  I would advise them of this 

Alright, I have sent an email informing them of the situation just now.

4 hours ago, Hank_ said:

Being there is a short time frame left for the medical, thus visa validity, expect the embassy to be contacting you to find out if you can travel and clear POE quickly.  Otherwise expect to complete a new medical

Fortunately, I was able to have my CFO scheduled next week. I will just come back for the sticker when I get back my passport with visa. I hope they do contact me though although most likely I'll opt for a new medical since 10 days might be too short to get everything done.

10 minutes ago, DAWme said:

IS THIS WHAT YOU MEAN WHEN YOU SAY BLANK 221G? I GOT JUST THIS MARKED AND NOTHING ELSE DOWN BELOW.

image.png.c74abdef6d5c42b2705e3f904803c1bd.png

Yes. I meant a 221g with no other checkmarks or request for any other document.

1 hour ago, payxibka said:

Can be completed at anytime 

Even without my passport? My passport is with USEM.

Timeline
1 minute ago, DAWme said:

Even without my passport? My passport is with USEM.

That's what at anytime means.  Passport not required to attend seminar.   Once you receive your passport,  then you can go back to CFO or even get it at NAIA for the sticker 

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.