coloradaninperu

Decision Cannot be Made at this Time

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Hi All!

My husband finally was granted an interview, a year after applying, for naturalization. He interviewed in Baltimore on July 12. We were married in 2014 using a K-1 visa. He passed the civics and English test quickly and had a nice conversation with the employee interviewing him, but he was a little nervous and couldn't remember some exact travel dates, etc. He had all of the travel documents to show her (and never traveled for more than 21 days at a time), but she said she didn't need to see them. He also had all of our marriage info, tax returns, photos of our daughter and ultrasounds of our new baby, a copy of our mortgage, bank transcripts, school/work records, etc. etc. 

He received a "decision cannot be made at this time" letter, but the interviewer hinted that he should keep checking his mail for an oath notice. It's now been a month, and we haven't heard anything. The Baltimore office isn't taking infopass appointments, and the customer service line told us we have to wait 60 days before we can inquire with them. 

He has no criminal record, speeding tickets, etc. 

Did anyone experience something similar? How long did it take for the oath scheduling to come through? Thanks!!

1 hour ago, coloradaninperu said:

Did anyone experience something similar? How long did it take for the oath scheduling to come through? Thanks!!

Unfortunately you're not yet at oath scheduling -- he needs a decision on the N-400 first, then he'll be placed in line for the oath ceremony. By law, USCIS has up to 120 days after the interview to decide the N-400, and there is very little you can do until then. The reasons for the delay could be anything from the case officer going on leave to USCIS doing some further checks.

Sorry I don't have better news.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline
5 hours ago, afrocraft said:

Unfortunately you're not yet at oath scheduling -- he needs a decision on the N-400 first, then he'll be placed in line for the oath ceremony. By law, USCIS has up to 120 days after the interview to decide the N-400, and there is very little you can do until then. The reasons for the delay could be anything from the case officer going on leave to USCIS doing some further checks.

Sorry I don't have better news.

Yes, we know he hasn't been approved yet. I guess my question should've been phrased approval/scheduling of oath. 

There shouldn't be anything holding him back from approval, but of course it's always concerning! 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
22 hours ago, coloradaninperu said:

Hi All!

My husband finally was granted an interview, a year after applying, for naturalization. He interviewed in Baltimore on July 12. We were married in 2014 using a K-1 visa. He passed the civics and English test quickly and had a nice conversation with the employee interviewing him, but he was a little nervous and couldn't remember some exact travel dates, etc. He had all of the travel documents to show her (and never traveled for more than 21 days at a time), but she said she didn't need to see them. He also had all of our marriage info, tax returns, photos of our daughter and ultrasounds of our new baby, a copy of our mortgage, bank transcripts, school/work records, etc. etc. 

He received a "decision cannot be made at this time" letter, but the interviewer hinted that he should keep checking his mail for an oath notice. It's now been a month, and we haven't heard anything. The Baltimore office isn't taking infopass appointments, and the customer service line told us we have to wait 60 days before we can inquire with them. 

He has no criminal record, speeding tickets, etc. 

Could you find out the frequency of oath ceremony @ Baltimore?  May be no ceremony is scheduled yet?

8 hours ago, dilip said:

Could you find out the frequency of oath ceremony @ Baltimore?  May be no ceremony is scheduled yet?

Based on the timing of my ceremony and the ceremonies of other VJers who interviewed in Baltimore on the same day as I did, Baltimore field office holds ceremonies one or two days per week, and there may be one or two ceremonies on a given day.  They schedule 40-50 people per ceremony.  There are also two to three judicial ceremonies per month, held in the courts at Baltimore and Greenbelt, and one Baltimore filer had his ceremony in Frederick.  So, ceremonies are pretty frequent.

Eighteen years in the US and I still don't understand Velveeta, TV ads for prescription drugs, only getting 2 weeks paid vacation, or why anyone believes anything they see on Fox "News".

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.