EllyLilia

K-1 Divorce Decree Absolute vs. Judgment of Absolute Divorce

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Dear VJ members who have experience with filing for K-1 after a divorce, could you please share your experience - What document did you file? Did you have it certified in the courthouse?

My fiance (the Petitioner) got a copy of the JUDGMENT of Absolute Divorce on his mail about 2 weeks after the final hearing in the court. That judgment didn't have a seal such documents are supposed to have. Reading through the topics here I came to the conclusion that it's better to go to the courthouse and get the certified copy of the Divorce DECREE Absolute. My fiance agreed. But what he got now in the courthouse is a certified copy of the JUDGMENT of Absolute Divorce. So, NO Divorce DECREE Absolute. 

I am puzzled. Is the JUDGMENT of Absolute Divorce the same thing as the Divorce DECREE Absolute? Will it be enough if we file the certified copy of the JUDGMENT of Absolute Divorce with our petition?

It seems these documents may have different names in different states. The state where my fiance was divorced is Maryland.

Much thanks for your help!

Edited by EllyLilia

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Many states have state departments of vital records where you can obtain for a fee, a certified verification of a divorce, marriage or civil union. Many counties also provide similar services in other states. For example, here is the link for the State of Colorado for obtaining a certified verification document (1 page): https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/cdphe/verification-marriage-civil-union-dissolution-divorce. I submitted a copy of a certified divorce verification from Colorado in my K1 petition, and it was accepted. Can't tell your location since your timeline is vacant. You will have to do sone checking to see how such a document can be obtained. All of the states are a little different.

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Pitaya,

Thanks for looking into this. It seems to be not an easy question.

Actually, my fiance (the Petitioner) got already a certified copy of his divorce document from the court. But it is the JUDGMENT of Absolute Divorce , NOT the Divorce DECREE Absolute. As I described above.The state is Maryland.

So, I am curious if it will be OK to send the certified JUDGMENT of Absolute Divorce?

I read everywhere, including here, that USCIS need a Divorce DECREE Absolute.  I am not sure about a difference between these two documents, as well as names may differ from state to state.

Thanks.

Edited by EllyLilia

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.