ScooterJones

I am confused about Canadian police certificates...

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My beneficiary is from and currently lives in Toronto. Is this "Criminal Record Check (CRC)" from the Toronto police department acceptable for the K1 visa interview? https://www.torontopolice.on.ca/background-checks/online-application-form.php

This webpage specifically states that this record check is used for immigration and does mention that finger printing will be required if any matches are found. I'm assuming this is way too easy?... You can just order online and pick it up.

I am aware that state.gov specifically says the issuing authority should be the Canadian Royal Mounted Police per this page:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/Canada.html

The instructions from the Canadian Royal Mounted Police are not very informative. It just kind of says go to your local police service... and we all know they will likely have no idea what we are trying to do. (sigh) I'm getting this information from this page: http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/steps-getting-a-certified-criminal-record-check

Do you guys think if we go to some random police department in Toronto, ask for a Certified Criminal Record Check under the privacy act, and specify it should include RCMP National Repository entire holdings then they will get us in the right direction? I'm a little confused and any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I am also from Toronto. There are a number of RMCP-approved places to get this done.

I went to a place called Red Seal Notary on Yonge and Sheppard two weeks ago. It was walk-in, took 20 minutes to take my fingerprint and sent off the requisition to the RCMP. I received my police record check in the mail the following week. Cost approximately $60.

Oh, and to answer your question, that CRC is not adequate, it has to be a fingerprint-based, so you have to apply in person.

Edited by ADW & JOP

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
6 minutes ago, ADW & JOP said:

I am also from Toronto. There are a number of RMCP-approved places to get this done.

I went to a place called Red Seal Notary on Yonge and Sheppard two weeks ago. It was walk-in, took 20 minutes to take my fingerprint and sent off the requisition to the RCMP. I received my police record check in the mail the following week. Cost approximately $60.

Oh, and to answer your question, that CRC is not adequate, it has to be a fingerprint-based, so you have to apply in person.

That's super close to us. Thank you so much!!! We're going to do that!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

No problem.

Just let them know what it's for. I printed that travel.state.gov page just in case. He knew it was for an immigrant visa and processed it without any issues.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.