B-B

Emergency Advanced Parole (I-131) Help!!

4 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

In December 2018 I applied for my AP and AED together with my AOS. So far I have been waiting 228 days and I haven’t heard anything back. 

On July 24th my grandmother all the sudden passed away so I expedited my AP next day by calling USCIS. The lady filed for me during the phone call, days later I received an email asking me for evidence which I send in couple hours later. I haven’t heard anything back since I faxed in my stuff.

I decided to call 3 days later to get a status update on my expedited case. The lady told me that the NBC is looking at my case but she couldn’t give me any timeframe or whatsoever.

After I told the lady that I want to go home for a funeral she understood the time sensitivity of it and she told me about the Emergency Advanced Parole. She explained that this goes through your local office where you will have to get an appointment: “The local office will review the documents and by approval they will give you a re-entry stamp in your passport”. 

I was super interested in that so she filed on my behalf and a couple hours later I scheduled my appointment. The lady who called me to make the appointment just asked me a couple of questions about the emergency and what documentation I have to support my request. After exchanging information I got an email confirmation and the appointment was scheduled. The lady didn’t say anything about having to pay a fee or bringing passport photo’s. She only talked about me bringing evidence. 

The phone call and scheduling the appointment happened so fast that I wasn’t sure what to bring to the appointment. So I went on to the USCIS website to see and I found the following overview of what to bring. I got really confused with the ‘filling fee’ part. Since I filed for AP with my AOS for Free I wasn’t sure what that meant. I called the USCIS; the lady told me that she wasn’t sure either and she recommended me to bring my I-485 receipt, my I-131 documents and my checkbook just in case I need to pay a fee. I was surprised by her unknowingness and I couldn’t believe her answer. 

Long story short: my local office is 3.5 hours away and I don’t want to show up there and having to pay $570 (that amount was given to me by the USCIS lady over the phone). I feel super confused and I hope somebody who went through the same process can give me more information.

Please can somebody tell me if there is a fee for the emergency AP.

THANK YOU!!

4153EAA7-7923-442B-BA56-D9B53DB2E271.jpeg

Yes, there is a fee for the emergency advance parole. The immigration officer can request to expedite a pending advance parole rather than issuing an emergency one. 

Source: https://www.dhs.gov/ombudsman-update-advance-parole-tips

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
7 hours ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

Yes, there is a fee for the emergency advance parole. The immigration officer can request to expedite a pending advance parole rather than issuing an emergency one. 

Source: https://www.dhs.gov/ombudsman-update-advance-parole-tips

Okay so I do have the pay the regular 570 dollar fee if I want to do the emergency AP? 

Yeah I already expedited my AP but haven’t heard anything back + the lady told me that the processing times aren’t as quick anymore😭

1 hour ago, B-B said:

Okay so I do have the pay the regular 570 dollar fee if I want to do the emergency AP?

According to the USCIS and DHS sites, yes, you must pay the fee for an emergency advance parole.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.