Jump to content
MisterModo

I-130 Question - Affidavits by 3rd Parties

7 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

For our I-130, my wife and I will both include affidavits from our families swearing to the authenticity of our marriage etc.  My question is about whether these need to be originals, or whether scanned copies are okay?  Or what format these should be in exactly?

 

My wife and I both live in Taiwan, so getting these from my family is obviously much easier if they can scan and email them..  Or do they need to mail me a few copies with actual signatures? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MisterModo said:

For our I-130, my wife and I will both include affidavits from our families swearing to the authenticity of our marriage etc.  My question is about whether these need to be originals, or whether scanned copies are okay?  Or what format these should be in exactly?

 

My wife and I both live in Taiwan, so getting these from my family is obviously much easier if they can scan and email them..  Or do they need to mail me a few copies with actual signatures? 

All evidence submitted to the uscis is legible photocopies of original or certified copies unless an original is specifically requested 


YMMV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, payxibka said:

All evidence submitted to the uscis is legible photocopies of original or certified copies unless an original is specifically requested 

Okay thanks.  Just to be clear, the "sworn affidavits by 3rd parties to the bona fides of the marriage" don't need to be officially certified/notarized, right?  My understanding was they are personal sworn affidavits. 

 

Also, do you know if this particular document should be printed out and signed in ink?  Or is it enough to simply type up a letter?  (Of course, including name, address, DOB, place of birth)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MisterModo said:

Okay thanks.  Just to be clear, the "sworn affidavits by 3rd parties to the bona fides of the marriage" don't need to be officially certified/notarized, right?  My understanding was they are personal sworn affidavits. 

 

Also, do you know if this particular document should be printed out and signed in ink?  Or is it enough to simply type up a letter?  (Of course, including name, address, DOB, place of birth)

Personal affidavits are of little utilitarian value so I would concentrate on other more meaningful evidence.  Affidavits are usually a last ditch effort 


YMMV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, payxibka said:

Personal affidavits are of little utilitarian value so I would concentrate on other more meaningful evidence.  Affidavits are usually a last ditch effort 

We have loads of evidence, we've been married 2 years and together 5 years.  But the affidavits are part of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MisterModo said:

We have loads of evidence, we've been married 2 years and together 5 years.  But the affidavits are part of it.

My personal opinion is if you have other evidence,  don't bother.   Most petitions with the requisite primary evidence are approved.


YMMV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/24/2019 at 10:19 AM, MisterModo said:

Just to be clear, the "sworn affidavits by 3rd parties to the bona fides of the marriage" don't need to be officially certified/notarized,

Yes, they have to be notarized, if used.

https://www.uscis.gov/tools/glossary/affidavit

 

image.png.6d2965bce4680ce72d8abc5f6fc19af8.png


                    "What I am to be, I am now becoming"-  Benjamin Franklin     

   :idea:MSC (National Benefits Center) I-751 filers- Please add your data :idea:                          https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Id1duRRByZHJmhEzl9N25GqwzcnUyLCR4e4N9W6zGLg/edit#gid=0

 

Retired 20 year US Air Force Missileer (Retired E-8)

Retired Registered Nurse with practice in Labor/Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, Adult Psych

Retired IT Professional, Software Developer, Database Manager

 

Immigration Journey:

  • Texas Service Center after transfer from Nebraska
  • Consulate :Taipei, Taiwan
  • Marriage: 7/30/2015
  • I-130 NOA1 : 4/27/2016
  • I-130 Approved :9/8/2016
  • Case received at NVC: 10/11/2016                               
  • Case # and IIN#: 10/24/2016
  • AOS Fee Invoiced:10/24/2016  
  • AOS Fee Paid:10/25/2016
  • IV Fee Invoiced:10/24/2016  
  • IV Fee Paid:10/25/2016
  • DS-260 Completed: 10/28/16
  • Scan Date:11/9/2016
  • Supervisor review: 12/21/16 
  • Checklist: 1/13/17 
  • Case Complete: 4/10/17
  • Interview Date: 5/8/17 
  • Visa  "ISSUED": 5/10/17
  • Visa and Passport in hand/Flight to USA Booked!!!: 5/12/17  
  • POE Dallas DFW on June 22, 2017
  • SS Card received : 7/3/2017
  • 2-year Green Card received in mail: 7/15/17
  • I751 mailed to Dallas PO Box: 3/28/2019
  • I-797 extension letter  for ROC dated 4/2/2019  MSCxxxxxxxxxx received: 4/6/2019
  • Biometrics apt received for 4/25/2019: on 4/12/2019
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...