Jump to content

Parents' marriage certificate for form I-130

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)



I am filing form I-130 for my father ,it seems the requirement for petitioning for  father is to submit my  birth certificate and parents' marriage certificate , my parents are from India and they don't have their marriage certificate as in those days there were no records kept in India (birth , marriage  & death etc) , if you were in a similar situation , can you please let me know , what you used in-lieu of parents' marriage certificate ?


P.S My birth certificate has both my parents' name.Thanks.



Edited by maksl

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

My father's birth certificate wasn't available so we got it done by going to the government office in the area he was born in. A lawyer will be able to help. There might be documents that are needed to prove the birth in that area. My father gave his school leaving certificate and other proof and he got his birth certificate.


For marriage certificate, we used affidavit from relatives that were present for the wedding and submitted it. The closer the relative the better it is. 


Also look at the USCIS website for details for Indian citizen (reciprocity and civil document for India)



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

@majune06 Thanks for the reply , I am curious to know what you needed your father's birth certificate for ?


Also, can you please share the affidavit template to use in-lieu of a marriage certificate ?



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...