Chris86

Apply for a job, what legalities do I need to do or process first?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hey everyone!

I arrived here in the USA last May. Now I'm wanting to apply for a job, let's say I already have my Green Card, Drivers License, and Social Security Number.

Are there other legal things I need to do so I can apply for a job, maybe like getting a Tax Identification Number just like back in the Philippines? Do I need health insurances?

Also I'm planning to move out from the current place/home I'm staying at. Can I just inquire for a place to rent, will they look for any documents, etc?

Looking forward to your answers, thanks!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
11 minutes ago, Chris86 said:

Hey everyone!

I arrived here in the USA last May. Now I'm wanting to apply for a job, let's say I already have my Green Card, Drivers License, and Social Security Number.

Are there other legal things I need to do so I can apply for a job, maybe like getting a Tax Identification Number just like back in the Philippines? Do I need health insurances?

Also I'm planning to move out from the current place/home I'm staying at. Can I just inquire for a place to rent, will they look for any documents, etc?

Once you have your green card and social security number then you can apply for a job.  You don’t need a Tax identification number, that’s only for people who doesn’t have SSN and is about to file their tax return. 

11 minutes ago, Chris86 said:

Hey everyone!

There are no other Legal documents that you need in order to work here in the USA. The SSN is equivalent to the Tax id. You should have health insurance if you can afford it, which some employer's do offer health insurance. 

When you apply to live somewhere they will want to see that you can afford the rental or lease. Also they can and mostly like will run a background/credit check on you.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Pengunista said:

You don’t need a Tax identification number, that’s only for people who doesn’t have SSN and is about to file their tax return. 

Sounds I'm good to go then, thanks for the response!

1 minute ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

When you apply to live somewhere they will want to see that you can afford the rental or lease. Also they can and mostly like will run a background/credit check on you.

Let's say, currently I have money in my Philipine bank account, I also have earnings in PayPal, both which can cover my rent for a year or so. I haven't opened a bank account here in the US yet.

29 minutes ago, Chris86 said:

Sounds I'm good to go then, thanks for the response!

Let's say, currently I have money in my Philipine bank account, I also have earnings in PayPal, both which can cover my rent for a year or so. I haven't opened a bank account here in the US yet.

Then you need to open a bank account na here in the USA and transfer that money here. A landlord will won't to see that you can afford the rent of their property if you have no credit history. They may require you to put down more up front to justify them lending to you. How much do you think rent is usually in CA?

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

Then you need to open a bank account na here in the USA and transfer that money here. A landlord will won't to see that you can afford the rent of their property if you have no credit history. They may require you to put down more up front to justify them lending to you. How much do you think rent is usually in CA?

Thanks for the advice, will do that. Can you advice a good bank where I can open an account?

I know rent is not cheap specially here in CA so I was thinking of just looking for roommates instead to share rent, I just think it's cheaper. Though not really sure of the cons of having roommates, specially with different cultures etc..

4 minutes ago, Chris86 said:

Thanks for the advice, will do that. Can you advice a good bank where I can open an account?

I know rent is not cheap specially here in CA so I was thinking of just looking for roommates instead to share rent, I just think it's cheaper. Though not really sure of the cons of having roommates, specially with different cultures etc..

When my asawa moved to the USA we got a Wellsfargo account and haven't had any problems at all. You can have that account linked to a BDO account and have money transferred back and forth. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

When my asawa moved to the USA we got a Wellsfargo account and haven't had any problems at all. You can have that account linked to a BDO account and have money transferred back and forth. 

Thank you for the suggestion. I have UnionBank though, because it was the only one that supports PayPal when I was still working at home in the Philippines.

I'll research more with regards to your bank suggestion. Thank you for the time. Salamat ng marami kabayan, I appreciate it!

Credit Unions are the way to go.  They are always much more friendly than the big banks are.

Adjustment of Status Journey

Spoiler

Sent I-485: December 20, 2016

USCIS delivered: December 23, 2016

USCIS received: December 27, 2016

I-765 Notice Date: January 12, 2017

I-131 Notice Date: January 12, 2017

I-485 Notice Date: January 12, 2017

Biometrics Date: February 10, 2017

I-765 Approved: March 30, 2017 (93 days)

I-131 Approved: March 30, 2017 (93 days)

I-485 Approved: June 6, 2017 (161 days)

Removal of Conditions Journey

Spoiler

Sent I-751: May 6, 2019

USCIS delivered: May 9, 2019

USCIS received: May 9, 2019

I-751 Notice Date: May 14, 2019

I-751 received Date: May 17, 2019

Biometrics received Date: June 8, 2019

Biometrics Date: June 20, 2019

Transfer to PSC Date: February 20, 2020

RFI received Date: October 20, 2020

RFI submitted to USCIS Date: January 14, 2021

ADIT Stamp received: March 3, 2021

ADIT Stamp received: March 24, 2021

I-751/N-400 Combo Interview Scheduled: April 7, 2022

I-751 Approved: April 7, 2022 (1064 days)

Citizenship Journey

Spoiler

N-400 Submitted Online: March 05, 2021

USCIS received: March 05, 2021

N-400 Notice Date: March 05, 2021

I-751/N-400 Combo Interview Scheduled: April 7, 2022

N-400 Approved: April 7, 2022 (398 days)

Oath Ceremony: April 7, 2022 (398 days)

Certificate of Naturalization Issued: April 7, 2022 (398 days)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.