w1nsse

What happens before, during and after POE for IR1 and IR2?

2 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

From the Philippines here, petitioner husband is US Citizen (naturalized). Married since May 2007. Again, we're IR1 and IR2, we've already paid for our Form I-551. 

1. Daughter is 12 years old. I have read here once that we can apply for a passport as proof for her being a US citizen.

Anyone know what we need to do or prepare/pay, to be able to get her a US passport?

2. We'll be living in NC, but our plane is via JFK (POE). Our plane stops over at JFK for only 4 hours. We leave July 24, daughers visa expires July 28.

Questions:

a) What to expect when we arrive at the JFK airport?

b) Is there a line specific for IR1 and IR2? Would you happen to know the name if there's a signage for this :)

c) Other than preparing the packet to give to the Customs and Border Protection Officers (CBP), will they be asking for the Xray/CD?

Will they be needing us to submit anything so we can prepare ahead of time. 

d) If we check through our baggage (Cebu to Incheon Korea, Incheon to JFK <-we ride Asiana airline), but from JFK to Durham we ride JET BLUE,

we don't need to get our bags and check it in again right? NOTHING TO DO WITH VISA JOURNEY just asking if anyone might be able to help

because they've been through a similar situation. We booked our tickets through CheapOAir btw. 

e) Has anyone ever tried having their bags ransacked at the POE? Do they check it there, are they strict? Or not at all?

f) Is 4 hours stopover enough? Or is it possible we might need more time ^^

3. What else do we need to do when we're through POE and home free? :) SSS? Can I request for this while I'm still in the Philippines?

Any need to apply for anything? Change anything?

I hope all is well with everyone! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to moving to the US without anymore hitches.. 

Regards,

Winsse

"You begin saving the world by saving one man at a time; all else is grandiose romanticism or politics." — Charles Bukowski

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

Comments on JFK POE:

4 hr layover is enough.

At the immigration line, go to the visitors line (sign will be for US citizens/LPRs/Visitors...). 

They may or may not ask for CD. Once cleared from immigration, next comes baggage claim.

You need to collect your baggage at JFK and then check in again for another flight.

Depending on what’s in the baggage, it could be searched before you collect it or after you collect it at JFK. Once cleared thru JFK, no more custom/immigration or checking. JFK is well known for baggage items theft so put valuable items at your own risk.

have a nice journey.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.