Jump to content
SC97

Selected for DV 2020 - didn't realize till now (July 11)

6 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hey all,

 

So I got selected for the visa lottery but I never realized till now (I know. I should've been more attentive). Is it too late to submit an application now? If not, did my chances of getting a green card decrease dramatically? How long do I have left before submitting an application is considered to be "too late"? Thank you all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SC97 said:

Hey all,

 

So I got selected for the visa lottery but I never realized till now (I know. I should've been more attentive). Is it too late to submit an application now? If not, did my chances of getting a green card decrease dramatically? How long do I have left before submitting an application is considered to be "too late"? Thank you all. 

The DV 2020, right? I think you have plenty of time. There is not a deadline to submit the application, per se, but the law states that DV no visas for a certain FY year can be issued after that Fiscal year is over. So the last day the visa can be issued (which is the last step) is September 30th, 2020 for FY2020. That means you have to start the process as soon as you can to make sure you have an interview and visa can be issued before the last day of FY2020.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

The DV 2020, right? I think you have plenty of time. There is not a deadline to submit the application, per se, but the law states that DV no visas for a certain FY year can be issued after that Fiscal year is over. So the last day the visa can be issued (which is the last step) is September 30th, 2020 for FY2020. That means you have to start the process as soon as you can to make sure you have an interview and visa can be issued before the last day of FY2020.

Yes. DV 2020. I'm going to make an appointment with my attorney to see how to move forward with this. Do you know if I have to send a police record even though I'm in the U.S right now?  (I was never arrested and have been residing in the U.S. since 16, now 22). Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SC97 said:

Yes. DV 2020. I'm going to make an appointment with my attorney to see how to move forward with this. Do you know if I have to send a police record even though I'm in the U.S right now?  (I was never arrested and have been residing in the U.S. since 16, now 22). Thanks!

You only have to obtain police record in a foreign country if you live there after you turned 16. No police record for the US needed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

DV 2020 only begins in October.  Plenty of time,  no lawyer needed...very few do DV AOS (quite different from normal AOS and lawyers tend to screw up at least as much as they help) ...I’ll PM you the link for what you need for i485 application. 

Edited by SusieQQQ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We did adjustment of status from within the US (from a J visa).  We hired an attorney to do it because it was all a bit overwhelming.  But really it was easy!  There's a ton of information here, and the people are possibly more helpful than your average lawyer.


Boston field office, GC holder for 10 years.

Citizenship received in 2016, took ~5 months from application to passport.

 

04/04/16 Mailed N-400.

04/13/16 Check cashed

04/08/16 NOA (rc'vd letter 04/16/16)

05/05/16 Bio-metrics appointment

05/09/16 In-line for Interview

07/21/16 Interview, told to wait 2 weeks for oath letter.

8/18/16 Oath ceremony - I'm all done!

Passport applied for at post office 8/22/16, no expedite.

Passport received 9/10/16

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...