starwars82

Selected for DV 2020 - didn't realize till now (July 11)

6 posts in this topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

Hey all,

So I got selected for the visa lottery but I never realized till now (I know. I should've been more attentive). Is it too late to submit an application now? If not, did my chances of getting a green card decrease dramatically? How long do I have left before submitting an application is considered to be "too late"? Thank you all. 

1 hour ago, SC97 said:

Hey all,

So I got selected for the visa lottery but I never realized till now (I know. I should've been more attentive). Is it too late to submit an application now? If not, did my chances of getting a green card decrease dramatically? How long do I have left before submitting an application is considered to be "too late"? Thank you all. 

The DV 2020, right? I think you have plenty of time. There is not a deadline to submit the application, per se, but the law states that DV no visas for a certain FY year can be issued after that Fiscal year is over. So the last day the visa can be issued (which is the last step) is September 30th, 2020 for FY2020. That means you have to start the process as soon as you can to make sure you have an interview and visa can be issued before the last day of FY2020.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Hong Kong
Timeline
2 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

The DV 2020, right? I think you have plenty of time. There is not a deadline to submit the application, per se, but the law states that DV no visas for a certain FY year can be issued after that Fiscal year is over. So the last day the visa can be issued (which is the last step) is September 30th, 2020 for FY2020. That means you have to start the process as soon as you can to make sure you have an interview and visa can be issued before the last day of FY2020.

Yes. DV 2020. I'm going to make an appointment with my attorney to see how to move forward with this. Do you know if I have to send a police record even though I'm in the U.S right now?  (I was never arrested and have been residing in the U.S. since 16, now 22). Thanks!

2 minutes ago, SC97 said:

Yes. DV 2020. I'm going to make an appointment with my attorney to see how to move forward with this. Do you know if I have to send a police record even though I'm in the U.S right now?  (I was never arrested and have been residing in the U.S. since 16, now 22). Thanks!

You only have to obtain police record in a foreign country if you live there after you turned 16. No police record for the US needed. 

DV 2020 only begins in October.  Plenty of time,  no lawyer needed...very few do DV AOS (quite different from normal AOS and lawyers tend to screw up at least as much as they help) ...I’ll PM you the link for what you need for i485 application. 

Edited by SusieQQQ

• 2 weeks later...

We did adjustment of status from within the US (from a J visa).  We hired an attorney to do it because it was all a bit overwhelming.  But really it was easy!  There's a ton of information here, and the people are possibly more helpful than your average lawyer.

On J visas.  Spouse won DV lottery while in US.  Did AOS from the US.

Boston field office, GC holder for 10 years.

Citizenship received in 2016, took ~5 months from application to passport.

Spouse received citizenship in 2019

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.