shallot343

USC Visiting UKC spouse in UK-- any border issues?

6 posts in this topic

Hi All, 

I am headed over the visit my spouse in London next week; we have our I-130 petition filed (still waiting for NOA2...). I am the USC but I lived in the UK for a number of years on a Tier 2 Work Visa; when i went back to visit over Christmas I was temporarily sent to secondary while they double checked my documents; I assume this is because I had only left the country a few month prior and I didn't have a US re-entry stamp (I went through Dublin pre-clearance). I was eventually let in, but this time around I am a bit worried because now I ALSO have a UKC spouse, and I know it is a terrible idea to withhold that information from the border agents. 

These are the documents I am bringing to prove ties to the US:

• letter from HR stating I am employed here in the US; my salary and job title
  • copy of all of my pay stubs proving regular salary
  • flight itinerary showing return flight
  • copy of NOA1 proving petition was filed for UKC spouse

I don't have a lease because I am subletting.

Has anyone had any issues visiting their foreign spouse or fiance in the UK? Anything else I should bring to ensure I am let in without issue? I didn't bother applying for a visitor visa as a safety measure (i know this is sometimes an option for people from VWP countries that are worried about being admitted) 

thank you! 

Sounds like you have all the correct documents just in case. My fiance has visited me in the UK twice since we filed our paperwork - the first time he did mention he was visiting his fiance and that I had a pending US fiance visa, they said that sounded great and to have a nice time, and the most recent visit at the end of May, he said they've installed automatic gates at Heathrow for USCs so you don't even have to talk to an agent at all. I'm not sure if every single USC traveller is allowed to use these and get away with not having to speak to an agent, but he certainly didn't have any kind of special ticket or service to use them. He was travelling with two of our friends who also had the same experience, and one of them travels to some high-risk countries for work and family so I'm surprised she was allowed through! 

However I have not travelled to the US since filing just in case of being turned away. 

Edited by futurecoloradogrl

A new type of electronic system has been put into Heathrow as I understand it, so you may not actually talk to someone at all. No landing cards either. Still bringing the evidence that you have certainly sounds fine. Denials at the UK border have little consequence, except for the pain and hassle. Every subsequent entry is based upon it's own merits and is not held against you. In the old days, young US females sometimes had troubles visiting their bfs or fiancés. I'm familiar with that myself, but any other attempt was successful, when the UKC traveled with me. Surviving through UK secondary yourself, you know how to answer any of the questions tossed at you and seem prepared.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coming-to-the-uk/faster-travel-through-the-uk-border

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
13 hours ago, shallot343 said:

Hi All, 

I am headed over the visit my spouse in London next week; we have our I-130 petition filed (still waiting for NOA2...). I am the USC but I lived in the UK for a number of years on a Tier 2 Work Visa; when i went back to visit over Christmas I was temporarily sent to secondary while they double checked my documents; I assume this is because I had only left the country a few month prior and I didn't have a US re-entry stamp (I went through Dublin pre-clearance). I was eventually let in, but this time around I am a bit worried because now I ALSO have a UKC spouse, and I know it is a terrible idea to withhold that information from the border agents. 

These are the documents I am bringing to prove ties to the US:

• letter from HR stating I am employed here in the US; my salary and job title
  • copy of all of my pay stubs proving regular salary
  • flight itinerary showing return flight
  • copy of NOA1 proving petition was filed for UKC spouse

I don't have a lease because I am subletting.

Has anyone had any issues visiting their foreign spouse or fiance in the UK? Anything else I should bring to ensure I am let in without issue? I didn't bother applying for a visitor visa as a safety measure (i know this is sometimes an option for people from VWP countries that are worried about being admitted) 

thank you! 

I've had experience with this as well visiting my girlfriend (now fiancé) in the UK. First time visiting I was inexperienced and didn't think to bring any supporting documents with me. After a bit of questioning and interrogation by a very rude officer at the border, I was let in. Second time was an absolute breeze, guy asked me a couple questions, one of which was what I did for work (I'm self-employed). Told him what I did and how much I make per month and he just stamped my passport and said enjoy my trip.Third time I had forgotten my printed documents at home, but I figured me pulling up my bank balance on my iPhone app would be suffice that I could support myself. Just my luck, the app decided to be down for maintenance and I couldn't show him anything when he asked. I was told to sit down and wait while they called my girlfriend to verify that I could indeed take care of myself and I was indeed there just visiting her. Officer was super nice and polite the whole time, couldn't have asked for a better officer honestly. Fourth time (most recent, about 9 months ago) my fiancé was actually traveling with me. We had filed our form I-129f at this point and had proof that we filed. Thankfully I remembered to take my documents with me this time. I walked up and the officer took my passport and asked why I was here, said that I was traveling with my fiancé to spend the holidays with her and her family in the UK. When I called her my fiancé, he asked where we'd marry. I told him we filed for a K1 Fiancé Visa, after hearing that he just stamped my passport and welcomed me to the country without needing or wanting to see any of the documents I brought.

I think you'll be ok honestly. Bring your supporting documents with you, and also explain that you've filed a petition which would help support the fact that you're not there to stay.

Edited by TandMApproved

Thanks for your comments/assurances everyone -- I didn't know about the new e-gates at Heathrow! That will make everything so much easier; I don't think I have ever waited in a longer immigration line than when entering the UK via Heathrow so I hope I am able to use these-- those landing cards were a huge pain as well!

I will let you all know how it goes when I land Thursday morning!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone! 

Just for other users who might be searching for the same topic-- there are indeed e-gates at Heathrow now! US, Canadian, South African, and EU citizens are all able to use them. I didn't even have to talk to border officers-- just scanned my passport and went through! I imagine if something about you is flagged when scanning your passport they will pull you over to talk to a border agent but I didn't have any issues at all. a bit disappointed to not have received a passport stamp though! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.