Jump to content

I have temporary greencard but want to a divorce with my husband

4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi we have been married a little over 2years now but since I waited  my temporary greencard almost 20month I need another two years to get 10years greencard. But I do want to finish this relationship as soon as possible...

I found that my husband (US citizen) cheated on my while we were in marriage processing, He begged me a chance I decided to forgive him, which I should not have.... long story short , I have been very sad, but I wanted to try our relationship work! I never brought that up, I tried to forgive him but there is another issue that HE doesn’t have a sex with me, sometimes for one month, sometime 5months without intimacy... 

we have been together total 4 years, every time when I bring this up he said he has reasons, such as mental health problem, skin disease etc...... 

I even asked him if there is any issue so we can’t have a sex for a while plz tell me what’s going on, but he never come to me and talk... nothing has been improved, 

I’m not happy in this relationship ... thinking about him cheating on my but not having intimacy with me is killing me.

Will I need to get out of the country right after a divorce?  

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada

You can file the ROC with a divorce waiver and submit proof of a bonafide marriage (before the marriage broke down).

The ROC cannot be adjudicated, however, until the final divorce decree is submitted.


Edited by Going through

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here




Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, dbdbdb said:

Will I need to get out of the country right after a divorce? 

No, absolutely not. You file ROC to get your 10 year green card even after you divorce him. As long as you have proof that you entered the relationship in good faith, it will be fine. Marriages do fail, often fail, despite the best intentions. Have you tried marriage counseling? I would try that. Start collecting documented evidence of your relationship, your times together, your commingling of financials, assets, bank accounts, leases, ... also evidence of how the marriage started falling apart.


I’m sorry for what you’re facing. It’s rough.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China

I'm really sorry to hear your experiences. Intimacy is a core element of romantic relationship. It's definitely a reason strong enough to result in a divorce. However, have you two tried counseling? It could be either physical or mental issue on your husband's side, but need to be diagnosed by a physician/psychologist/social worker etc. It might be worth trying couple therapies with a social worker.


If you eventually decide to divorce and you wanted to proceed with 10-year card, prepare good evidence of bona fide marriage and file divorce waiver. There're lots of good suggestions here at VJ. Good luck!

Edited by cute_pretzel

ROC Timeline

01/02/2019: I-751 delivered to USCIS (Texas)

01/08/2019: check cashed & online status show "case received"

03/02/2019: 18-month extension letter received (LIN)

08/02/2019: biometrics letter received

08/23/2019: biometrics appointment

11/04/2019: approval letter received

11/05/2019: online status changed to "card in production"

11/07/2019: card received ✌️😊

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...