ayestaci

i-130 Petitioner Employment History

5 posts in this topic

Hey everyone!

Firstly, VisaJourney has been such an amazing resource so far to lurk on. But now I have a specific question and after searching the forums, I can't find an answer, so I'm asking directly!

We're filing for the CR-1 visa right now (yay) after getting married in May. One of the questions on the i-130 is the petitioner's employment history.

Not a problem... except that my husband works in film & TV. In the past few months alone, I can think of 3 shows he's worked on, so it's probably 10+ a year at points. It's a long employment history and as he has tax records, it's not a problem in terms of knowing where he's worked, but the dates. We know the year. His memory is uh questionable and some of the months may be off.

I guess my question is, how big of a problem is this likely to be if a lot of the dates, especially of much shorter stints, are wild estimations (but at least we know the year?). Has anyone else dealt with a frustratingly bitty job history and come out fine?

Edited by Cosmering

CR-1 VISA TIMELINE (LONDON EMBASSY)

26th May 2019 — Married 💕

12th July 2019 — I-130 sent

19th July 2019 — NOA1, assigned Potomac service center

17th March 2020 — NOA2!
21st March 2020 — NVC case number received, all fees paid
25th March 2020 — Fees accepted, DS-260 completed
26th March 2020 — All NVC documents submitted
19th May 2020 — DQ!
2nd June 2020 — Expedite requested (primarily medical reasons) 
5th June 2020 — Expedite approved by embassy
8th June 2020 — Case in transit NVC --> London

9th June 2020 — Call from London to schedule interview

16th June 2020 — Interview (221G, pending medical results, everything else fine)

17th June 2020 — Medical (mostly went well but something odd was showing on chest x-ray, cue stress)

22nd June 2020 — Medical confirmed all-clear and sent to embassy (P H E W)

2nd July 2020 — Visa status changed to issue, notification from courier

3rd July 2020 — Arrived at depot, informed I can't collect due to COVID-19 lockdown in Scotland. Had to get it rerouted (took a LOT of phonecalls)

4th July 2020 — Visa/passport received!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
12 hours ago, ayestaci said:

Hey everyone!

Firstly, VisaJourney has been such an amazing resource so far to lurk on. But now I have a specific question and after searching the forums, I can't find an answer, so I'm asking directly!

We're filing for the CR-1 visa right now (yay) after getting married in May. One of the questions on the i-130 is the petitioner's employment history.

Not a problem... except that my husband works in film & TV. In the past few months alone, I can think of 3 shows he's worked on, so it's probably 10+ a year at points. It's a long employment history and as he has tax records, it's not a problem in terms of knowing where he's worked, but the dates. We know the year. His memory is uh questionable and some of the months may be off.

I guess my question is, how big of a problem is this likely to be if a lot of the dates, especially of much shorter stints, are wild estimations (but at least we know the year?). Has anyone else dealt with a frustratingly bitty job history and come out fine?

I would just say self-employed film actor and not list all the specific job dates/places. You can use the additional information sheet to elaborate if you want. 

45 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

I would just say self-employed film actor and not list all the specific job dates/places. You can use the additional information sheet to elaborate if you want. 

He's not an actor, he works on the crew, so he's not self-employed — he does actually have employers, I believe, so I'm worried this might count as misleading! However, I can see if there's a way he can list at least all the TV/films as one job somehow and just elaborate on them in the extra information, might be an idea. Thanks!

17th March 2020 — NOA2!
19th May 2020 — DQ!

16th June 2020 — Interview (221G, pending medical results, everything else fine)

17th June 2020 — Medical (mostly went well but something odd was showing on chest x-ray, cue stress)

3rd July 2020 — Arrived at depot, informed I can't collect due to COVID-19 lockdown in Scotland. Had to get it rerouted (took a LOT of phonecalls)

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

If he is a Union Member earning W2 income, (Quite Certain he is.) just list the union and occupation, along with applicable dates of being in the Union.  If he gets 1099 forms for his work, then he IS self employed...

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

1 minute ago, pushbrk said:

If he is a Union Member earning W2 income, (Quite Certain he is.) just list the union and occupation, along with applicable dates of being in the Union.  If he gets 1099 forms for his work, then he IS self employed...

Great, thank you so much! He definitely is a Union member earning W2 income, so this is absolutely what we needed to know it was fine to do. 

17th March 2020 — NOA2!
19th May 2020 — DQ!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.