Jump to content

Crossing LAND border into Canada using Advance Parole

6 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello all, 


I've seen a couple of variations of this question but I haven't seen any solid answers so I want to double-check if anyone has *actual* experience with this issue. We would be traveling by vehicle, across the land border from Detroit / Windsor and the Canadian website only really gives  2 options, either you're already a lawful permanent American resident or you're living in some other country. 


If you've gone through this process before: 


1. Did you obtain a "tourist visa" to get into Canada prior to arriving at the border? If so, how? (When I go online it forces us into obtaining an ETA , which doesn't apply to this trip)

2. Did you state you are a "lawful permanent resident" in the US and provide the USCIS# on the EAD/AP combo card? or did you.....

3. State you don't live in the US and pretend you're still living in your country of origin simply to complete the application process? (This is the piece we keep getting stuck on as we aren't sure if we should proceed with this option) 


To recap, my questions are not about re-entry into the US, I am not worried about that piece. My questions are more around the "how does the Canadian government classify you while you're in the process of obtaining your green card and which visa application do you fill out" 





Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Nightshadow said:

My questions are more around the "how does the Canadian government classify you while you're in the process of obtaining your green card and which visa application do you fill out" 

Angga needs a Canadian visitor visa; also called "Temporary Resident Visa." The application can be submitted online: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/apply-visitor-visa/online-outside.html Then certain documents are mailed to either Los Angeles or New York City: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/contact-ircc/offices/international-visa-offices/los-angeles.html


Edited by HRQX

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok slightly different for us but as CR1, with endorsement stamp, we did the ETA and also later crossed by land with it.  The ETA is tied to the passport.   I would think that it would be same for AP.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Paul & Mary said:

I would think that it would be same for AP.

Very different. A CBP-endorsed IR-1/CR-1 is an I-551 document. Advance Parole is not an I-551 document.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Nightshadow said:

Yeah, we tried that route and it asks you some questions which ultimately lead you to the "Ah cool! Based on your answers, you need an ETA!". Only issue is we are traveling by land, not air, otherwise this would be absolutely perfect.  

Instead of applying online, she can apply by mail: https://www.vfsglobal.ca/Canada/USA/how_to_apply.html "Mail Your Application"

[With the PDF links below I encountered issues with Google Chrome. But no issues when I used Internet Explorer]

Application Instructions: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5876E.pdf See top of Page 4 "or are in the process of adjusting status to permanent residence" for acceptable proof of US immigration status.

Required Document Checklist: https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/pdf/kits/forms/imm5484e.pdf

Application Form: https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/pdf/kits/forms/imm5257e.pdf

Family Information Form: https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/pdf/kits/forms/imm5707e.pdf

Photo Requirements: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/temporary-resident-visa-application-photograph-specifications.html

Use of a Representative: https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/pdf/kits/forms/imm5476e.pdf (Optional)


Later, one of the final steps is to appear in-person either at Beverly Hills, CA or New York, NY to do biometrics.

Edited by HRQX

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...