pcubes99

Employer Insurance - to add?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
5 minutes ago, pcubes99 said:

Do you guys think it's worth adding my wife to my work insurance? I have 30 days after our wedding to add her to my coverage. Problem is, she won't be using it for a year so I would be paying extra $/month for her insurance. But adding her with provide more evidence of a marriage right?

I’m assuming your wife is currently abroad?

I would suggest adding her if you can manage the extra cost, so that she is covered when she gets here (Incase it’s not during open enrollment).  They may push for a SSN, even though it’s not technically (or legally) needed. 

And yes, it will be good proof for a bonafide marriage come RoC (if your marriage is less than 2 years at the time of her entrance).

Yes, she is overseas. She does have a SSN from when she was a student here 15+ years ago. I'll have to add her and her son (my step-son), which is going to be pricey for a whole year, but if it's worth doing as evidence for marriage, then I guess I'll do it. 

If we apply for her visa now, will adding her this X-mas be too late? That is the time where we have open enrollment so I can also add her then.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
2 minutes ago, pcubes99 said:

Yes, she is overseas. She does have a SSN from when she was a student here 15+ years ago. I'll have to add her and her son (my step-son), which is going to be pricey for a whole year, but if it's worth doing as evidence for marriage, then I guess I'll do it. 

If we apply for her visa now, will adding her this X-mas be too late? That is the time where we have open enrollment so I can also add her then.

Yeah, I gapped on the timeline there.  If you’re just starting the process, wait until open enrollment, if for no other reason than to save some $$.  

We’re all in the same boat of trying to do things in the most cost-effective way.  My i751 petition had some explanations for things we were missing (joint car insurance was not something we had for a long time bc we couldn’t find a company that would accept his driving record and my lack of US driving [even though I had an LOE from a Canadian insurer] for a reasonable rate).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.