Jump to content
Hemutian

Changing K1 beneficiary's Chinese address between P2 and P3

9 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

My fiancee and I both live in China. We received the P2 last week and are currently waiting for the P3.

I understand that the P3 will be mailed to the address that we listed as the Beneficiary's address (in Chinese) on the I-129F form.

My question is this: Is it possible during this window of time while we wait for the P3 to update (i.e. change) the Beneficiary's address?

When I filled out the I-129F form a few months ago, we did not have a permanent address in China, and so we listed my fiancee's parents' address instead.

However, her parents' address is not in a traditional house or apartment building, and I'm worried that the postal delivery people will have a hard time locating it.

Since then, my fiancee and I have moved into a new apartment in China, with a much more easily locatable address, and we would much prefer to have the P3 (and all future materials, such as the P4, and the visa itself) to be sent here rather than to the address we listed for her parents. Is this possible? If so, how exactly would I go about doing it?

Should I try to contact the US consulate in Guangzhou and request that they update the address on file for the beneficiary? Is there a way to do this online?

 

Also, when the P3 is delivered, does the delivery service contact the Beneficiary at the Beneficiary's phone number as provided on the I-129F form? If so, then can we direct the delivery service via phone call to deliver the P3 to our new address instead (it's literally 2 minutes away from the hard-to-locate parents' address)?

 

Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never underestimate the local Chinese delivery guy.  If they have any issue about the address, THEY WILL CALL.   So don't worry about 'hard to find'.

 

Should you update your address with the consulate?  YES.  

 

http://ustraveldocs.com/cn/cn-niv-deliveryaddressmodify.asp

 

Dude, you should know the consulates web site front to back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SmallTownPA said:

Never underestimate the local Chinese delivery guy.  If they have any issue about the address, THEY WILL CALL.   So don't worry about 'hard to find'.

 

Should you update your address with the consulate?  YES.  

 

http://ustraveldocs.com/cn/cn-niv-deliveryaddressmodify.asp

 

Dude, you should know the consulates web site front to back.

Thanks for the advice and pointing me to what I need on the consulate website.

However, correct me if I'm wrong, but having only just received the P2 from USCIS, it's  too early for me to request an address change from the consulate right now, since they haven't even received my application yet, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you have a DOS Casefile number, or only a USCIS Receipt number? Please explain "P2", you are talking a different nomenclature? Look at the K1 Visa Flowchart, and describe what step you are currently on: https://www.visajourney.com/content/k1flow/


Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

> Almost 2 years of our lives involved with the USCIS/DOS "shuffle" & worth every second of it ! <

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

_______________________

:idea: Read more, post less.... Google can be your friend ! :idea:

Prior apologies if I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Keep your timeline current: http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Pitaya (火龙果) said:

Do you have a DOS Casefile number, or only a USCIS Receipt number? Please explain "P2", you are talking a different nomenclature? Look at the K1 Visa Flowchart, and describe what step you are currently on: https://www.visajourney.com/content/k1flow/

For sure you need to inform USCIS of your change of address, the sooner the better.

 

https://www.uscis.gov/addresschange


Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

> Almost 2 years of our lives involved with the USCIS/DOS "shuffle" & worth every second of it ! <

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

_______________________

:idea: Read more, post less.... Google can be your friend ! :idea:

Prior apologies if I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Keep your timeline current: http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only place that you will deal with after NOA2 is the local consulate, so I would start at the consulate first, as they will be the next step in the process.  

 

USCIS is  pretty much out of the workflow once DOS get the petition, and DOS is pretty much out of it once its sent to the consulate.  Just update all the subsequent forms you fill out will with  your current address. 

 

I guess the 'book' answer (but not not the 'correct' one) is consulate, DOS, and USCIS.  But really just the consulate.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/8/2019 at 11:50 AM, Pitaya (火龙果) said:

Do you have a DOS Casefile number, or only a USCIS Receipt number? Please explain "P2", you are talking a different nomenclature? Look at the K1 Visa Flowchart, and describe what step you are currently on: https://www.visajourney.com/content/k1flow/

I'm sorry, I assumed that everyone in the China regional forum was familiar with the "P1", "P2", "P3", "P4" nomenclature as that's the nomenclature all the Chinese benefactors seem to use (at least, my fiancee and all the other Chinese spouses in her WeChat group).

 

The "P2" I referred to is the NOA2. So far, that's the farthest along the timeline we've got to. No DOS Casefile number yet. That happens once application is received and processed by the NVC, right? Should be getting it within the next week or so. Or do we not get the DOS Casefile number until it's received and processed by the Consulate in Guangzhou?

 

I see your other reply below says I should change my address with the USCIS as soon as possible. But I was under the impression that now that I have received the NOA2, the USCIS is now out of the picture, and from now one we're only dealing with DOS?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, SmallTownPA said:

The only place that you will deal with after NOA2 is the local consulate, so I would start at the consulate first, as they will be the next step in the process.  

 

USCIS is  pretty much out of the workflow once DOS get the petition, and DOS is pretty much out of it once its sent to the consulate.  Just update all the subsequent forms you fill out will with  your current address. 

 

I guess the 'book' answer (but not not the 'correct' one) is consulate, DOS, and USCIS.  But really just the consulate.

 

 

Thanks for the clarification.

Just to make sure, I should I wait until I have a DOS casefile number before attempting to change our address with the DOS/Consulate, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Hemutian said:

I'm sorry, I assumed that everyone in the China regional forum was familiar with the "P1", "P2", "P3", "P4" nomenclature as that's the nomenclature all the Chinese benefactors seem to use (at least, my fiancee and all the other Chinese spouses in her WeChat group).

 

The "P2" I referred to is the NOA2. So far, that's the farthest along the timeline we've got to. No DOS Casefile number yet. That happens once application is received and processed by the NVC, right? Should be getting it within the next week or so. Or do we not get the DOS Casefile number until it's received and processed by the Consulate in Guangzhou?

 

I see your other reply below says I should change my address with the USCIS as soon as possible. But I was under the impression that now that I have received the NOA2, the USCIS is now out of the picture, and from now one we're only dealing with DOS?

There are several methods of nomenclature, I just wanted to make sure that, literally, we are talking on the same page. BTW, the "P" style is not in general use in VJ at the USCIS level, generally the DOS only uses the "P" style.

 

Just follow the VJ Flowchart for the usual sequence of events in your K1 visa journey.

 

Yes, you are now dealing with DOS, and USCIS is just temporarily out of the picture. For example, when your beneficiary comes to the US, she will be carrying an envelope of documents that she will surrender to the CBP officer at her POE. That package of documents eventually ends up at your USCIS service center. It is important to keep USCIS appraised of any address changes.

 

Obviously at your stage of the process, yes, I would suggest that both NVC and DOS need to be appraised of your change of address. Follow this DOS link for more information: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/national-visa-center/immigrant-visas-processing-general-faqs.html So there won't be any delay in your beneficiary receiving the numerous P packets of information. A DOS casefile number would likely simplify NVC finding your file.  However, I do recall getting a letter sent to me from NVC informing me that they had received our file from USCIS, and that after processing, it was going to be sent to the Guangzhou consulate (GUZ) and it gave the name and street address of the GUZ. I thought it was pretty cool in that was like a "Rosetta Stone" for me. On the page, it contained our USCIS receipt number and our DOS Casefile number, a nice cross reference.  I don't know if that letter is still sent out or not, but I found it quite useful.

 

Good luck on your immigration journey.


Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

> Almost 2 years of our lives involved with the USCIS/DOS "shuffle" & worth every second of it ! <

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

_______________________

:idea: Read more, post less.... Google can be your friend ! :idea:

Prior apologies if I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Keep your timeline current: http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...