allanr

CR-1 Visa, good 6 months from interview or medical exam date?

6 posts in this topic

I was originally under the assumption that a CR-1 Visa was good for 6 months from the Interview date, so I booked a medical exam date and scheduled the interview based on this.  I was then told by a knowledgeable poster here that it is 6 months from the medical exam date, which means that my visa would not still be valid for my early January move to the USA date.  I've searched and noticed a couple of other posters here have said the same thing.  I am about the throw away my wife's plane tickets for her medical exam, and buy new ones for a few weeks later based on this.  Just for fun however, I googled this, and read on 3 different websites that the 6 month visa window starts on the interview date.

I don't necessarily believe this, and I'm fairly certain the posters here are correct, but before I shell out another $100 for a ticket, if someone here can post with 100% certainty that the CR-1 window starts with the medical exam date, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by allanr

Immigration Entry visa is valid for 6 months after the medical exam date.  So for example you have a medical exam 3 months before your visa is approved, the visa will only be valid for 3 months.

Edited by givionte

DCF CR1 filing in Guangzhou, China:

Married - 2018-09-25

I-30 submitted at Guangzhou office - 2019-06-17
I-130 approved - 2019-06-18
DS-260 Confirmation Handed to CITIC to be Delivered - 2019-11-12-2019

DS-260 Approved, received email to schedule appointment - 2019-11-20-2019

Visa Interview in Guangzhou (Approved!) 😁 2019-12-16-2019

Immigration Visa Issued 2019-12-17-2019

1 minute ago, givionte said:

Immigration Entry visa is valid for 6 months after the medical exam date.

Thank you Givionte...That is what SLC had told me earlier.

it's amazing the amount of disinformation on other Visa websites...I'll push out the medical exam.

It's valid for up to 6 months from the date of issue, but constrained by the medical examination.

There are limited circumstances where the medical exam can even be valid for less than 6 months.

Golden rule is do not purchase any tickets or make plans you are not willing to change until the visa is in hand. Anything can happen.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

No problem, I'm in a similar situation in that I wanted to get my petition directly filed before the office closed, but also we weren't planning to move until after Chinese New Years, so we're kicking the med exam and interview down the road a bit to time it just right.

DCF CR1 filing in Guangzhou, China:

Married - 2018-09-25

I-30 submitted at Guangzhou office - 2019-06-17
I-130 approved - 2019-06-18
DS-260 Confirmation Handed to CITIC to be Delivered - 2019-11-12-2019

DS-260 Approved, received email to schedule appointment - 2019-11-20-2019

Visa Interview in Guangzhou (Approved!) 😁 2019-12-16-2019

Immigration Visa Issued 2019-12-17-2019

1 hour ago, givionte said:

No problem, I'm in a similar situation in that I wanted to get my petition directly filed before the office closed, but also we weren't planning to move until after Chinese New Years, so we're kicking the med exam and interview down the road a bit to time it just right.

I bought another set of tickets for a couple of weeks later.  I've now booked two extra flights to manila than i would have needed to if i'd done everything perfectly, but I now have a schedule I can work with.

The problem is one I never anticipated.  the USCIS and the Visa service were too efficient.  I actually could have went from the I-130 form submittal date to my interview date in less than 3 months. I never expected that based on everything I'd read.  As it is, it will be done in under 4 months.   I suspect timeframes will change now that the Manila USCIS office will be closing..effective July 5th.  They are no longer taking Visa applications.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.