neiks

My phone call to Montreal.

16 posts in this topic

I notice that my interview letter was addressed to my maiden name. We had filed everything in my married name (which is hyphenated maiden and married) I wanted to make sure that there was no mistake and that it would be ok to get through security if my maiden name is on the interview letter but my id will be in my married name. I realized that my passport is expiring in Nov so I have to re-apply ASAP to get it for the interview. I figured I should apply for my new passport in my married name.

So I dedided to call Montreal to double check. What a ordeal from the lady on the other end. I explained that my interview letter came in my maiden name and that we had filed my papers with my married name. The lady said that it goes by the name on the passport. I then explained my passport will be expiring before the 6 months and I will be applying for a new one which will be in my married name and not my maiden name. Her response was a snarky

"Madame, please do not confuse me on the telephone." Sorry, Am I suppose to confuse you in person???? I tried again to explain that, when we applied that my passport was in my maiden name but it is due to expire in 5 months and I'm re-applying for a new one in my married name. She then told me I will have to apply for a name change. I told her that we filed everything in my married name already. No, it didn't matter I would have to file a name change. I then said, what am I suppose to do if I'm only getting my new passport a few days before my interview and won't have time to send it in. Her snarky reply was "well you are going to have to tell us right away or let us know as soon as you get here". #######?????

Hopefully, I'm let through security with an interview letter in my maiden name and a passport in my married name. I'm relying on the hyphenation helping my out and I also requested that I get my old passport back so I will take it too - just in case.

The other few times I have phoned Montreal I have got a pleasant lady. This lady was not pleasant. She had a pretty thick accent so if anyone else gets her -BEWARE!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Sounds like you got the infamous nasty phone lady. I managed to not have to talk to her the two times I called, but Jerry had pleasure :wacko: of dealing with her one time he called. We need to track what days she answers the phones so you all don't have to deal with her!

fortunately, the rest of the staff I dealt with at Montreal were great. I would do as you stated here and take both passports and all your documents on your interview day.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Yeah, I would say to walk with your old passport too - and a keep a copy of your birth certificate handy.

Good luck!

Mo

timeline.gif

Full timeline can be seen in my profile

PAST - From K-1 to Citizenship (a love story)
K-1: Aug 12, 2006 to Jan 17, 2007 - mailed I-129F
AOS: Feb 26, 2007 - Jul 26, 2007
REMOVING CONDITIONS: May 4, 2009 - Oct 3, 2009
CITIZENSHIP: Nov 27, 2012 - May 9, 2013

Note: I immigrated from Canada, not T&T - the timeline is reflective of this.

PRESENT - IR-5 Story (reuniting a family)
I-130 for Parents - 2013
Aug ?? - mailed I-130 packages for both mother and father
Sept 10 - NOA1 date
Sept 16 - NOA1s received

Feb 25 - got emails saying that the cases had been transferred to another office for processing

Feb 26 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred to my local office for processing

Feb 28 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred and are being processed

Mar 17 - got email, attached to one case number only, saying that my A number was changed relating to the I-130 filing

Mar 18 - got emails saying that the petitions are approved smile.png

Visit my website Dancing Light Stained Glass Studio to view my work.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
The lady said that it goes by the name on the passport.

Thats funny cos MTL sent my P3 letter which included the middle name used on my birth certificate. I have not used my middle name for a long time and that name does not appear on my last 3 passports.

Wonder how MTL would go about explaining that one :)

AOS

Filled : 2007-09-17

NOA : 2007-09-25

Biometrics : 2007-12-13

EAD card prod : 2007-12-13

Job Offer : 2007-12-18

EAD card prod : 2007-12-18

EAD approved mailed : 2007-12-21

EAD in Hand : 2007-12-24 (Awesome Christmas Present)

Applied for SSN : 2007-12-26

SSN arrives in mail : 2008-01-05 (Happy New Year)

Start work :2008-01-15

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

the nasty lady with the thick accent is awful. if we didn't have to wait on hold for half an hour to begin with, we'd just hang up and call right back. you'd think as a foreigner (whatever her accent is) she's have some sympathy for us, but noooooo

Edited by mrsserendipity
menandbran.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

back in 2005 when I went for my interview I had basically the same issue but I didn't get a new passport, I just add my married name added to my passport... but I had already filled out all the paperwork with my maiden name.... I emailed Montreal and they said that all I needed to do was tell them when I got there and to bring along my marriage certificate and they would change it at the interview, which is what I did with no problems...

i didn't have any problems with security but then again I still had the passport with my maiden name and just my married name added as an amendment....

mvSuprise-hug.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to reach montreal by phone.. getting tired of this packet 3 not being here for 2 weeks

I called 1-514-398-9695

Then 1

then 4

but didn't really get anywhere

THe recording was telling me to call some 900 number or other..

I wanna talk to a person!

Any suggestions?

vj_sig-2-2_2.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

posting in 4 topics isnt the way to go,lol

edited because I originally stated 3 posts,lol

Edited by flames9

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Well, I'm getting frustrated cuz I called the number again and tried to work the phone system but got nowhere and they (recorded message) screamed "goodbye" very loudly in my ear! And I'm assuming the embassy is going to close in 3 hours and I'm already expecting to be on hold for like an hour..

And I HATE MONTREAL EMBASSY

vj_sig-2-2_2.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Well, I'm getting frustrated cuz I called the number again and tried to work the phone system but got nowhere and they (recorded message) screamed "goodbye" very loudly in my ear! And I'm assuming the embassy is going to close in 3 hours and I'm already expecting to be on hold for like an hour..

And I HATE MONTREAL EMBASSY

Dial the number don't listen to the menu, don't press 1 hit 4 right away after they say you have reached the US Consulate That's how I use to get through sometimes without listening to Classical music for 1/2 hr

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

See, this is where I, as a US citizen, get pissed. Why should we have to put up with some snot nosed service person that obviously has an attitude. We should remind her that WE pay her salary. She should get over whomever pissed in her Corn Flakes and get with the program. Maybe if they got off their asses and worked through the back log there wouldn't be people calling her all day long trying to find out their status. maybe if they could get thir S**t together and schedule the interviews when they come in she wouldn't have people bugging them. I for one am going to write my congress persons again. This won't ever change unless we make a big enough stink about it.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.