Lone Wolf

Treated TB and prep for St. Lukes

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My fiancee got sick around June of 2017. When she went to the doctors they suspected TB. The sputum test came back negative. But her symptoms and the x rays led to her being referred to the TB clinic for treatment. She started treatment, first the one time hit of the 2 antibiotics (forget their name) and then almost 7 months treatment with the 4 med combo. They also did another sputum test, longer duration, I think it was about 4 weeks, but then it was a positive hit.

She did take her meds religiously, I was there, there is no doubt of that.

I know the x rays are going to show the past TB. She has since gotten medical clearance required for her job. But just now, after 8 months, they want her to get another x ray.

I came back to the states to get a divorce due to waiting over 3 years for an annulment and no end in site, I had to do it where I didn’t have to deal with… well you know.

So we are close to filing the application, but haven’t yet. We have a lot of time ahead of us to prepare, if we can.

What can we do, if anything, to get cleared through St. Lukes without a nightmare?

I have read different things about dealing with TB/Latent TB/Past TB at St. Lukes. But depending on when, procedures change. So I am looking for what they do now.

One thing I have seen in posts leads me to believe that anything in the x ray is automatically going to cause a 2 month sputum test, is that still true?

I know they are now doing the IGRA test, but not sure if past TB sets that test off anyways. Or even if it matters if they already suspect or know of past infection.

Really looking for guidance of any preparations we can make now and leading up to exam time. And also any info on the current procedures at St. Lukes when dealing with past treated TB.

Bring records to the medical exam. That said, they will still do an x-ray. If the x-ray shows something (it probably will IMO), they will do sputum.

This process is set by the CDC, and SLEC just follows their guidelines. While she knows she took the medications religiously, they don't know anything other than what the scans and records show. Many people stop taking the meds before they are fully clear, unfortunately.

If sputum is required, that'll be another ~2 months.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
3 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Bring records to the medical exam. That said, they will still do an x-ray. If the x-ray shows something (it probably will IMO), they will do sputum.

This process is set by the CDC, and SLEC just follows their guidelines. While she knows she took the medications religiously, they don't know anything other than what the scans and records show. Many people stop taking the meds before they are fully clear, unfortunately.

If sputum is required, that'll be another ~2 months.

Looks like that IGRA test is just a wasted extra cost for us. I know the x ray will definitely show something. We have her x rays during and past treatment and she is getting one today for her job and we will be getting more. I read that St. Lukes won't look at x rays unless they are like 30 days prior to exam. But I've seen others say they will not look at them at all.

What bothers me is after treatment they only did a sputum test that was only a few days. And this was a TB clinic. The first time tested was just a few days and it was negative. After they did get a positive hit after 4 weeks. Yet after treatment they again only did a test with results after a few days.

It sounds like a 2 month delay and a return trip to manila (and she couldn't be much further from Manila and still in the Phils) is definitely in the cards.

Having her check today on getting Sputum tests at the hospital to see if we can get them to do long term tests (60 days). I can understand the 60 day test and was disgusted with the short test she did after treatment.

I need to get tested for latent TB, but I wouldn't bother there.  :(

Timeline

Yeah, I know people don't take them. I have an Ex who sailed through St. Lukes. No TB hit. Then in the U.S. got a job at a nursing home. They did a TST I think it was and got a positive but x rays showed nothing.

They gave her a big bottle of pills and told her to take them every day, I think it was a 90 day supply. She took them 3 days and stopped.

Their was no follow up.

My ex is exactly why they're strict, my fiancee is an example of those who pay the price.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
13 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

My fiancee got sick around June of 2017. When she went to the doctors they suspected TB. The sputum test came back negative. But her symptoms and the x rays led to her being referred to the TB clinic for treatment. She started treatment, first the one time hit of the 2 antibiotics (forget their name) and then almost 7 months treatment with the 4 med combo. They also did another sputum test, longer duration, I think it was about 4 weeks, but then it was a positive hit.

She did take her meds religiously, I was there, there is no doubt of that.

I know the x rays are going to show the past TB. She has since gotten medical clearance required for her job. But just now, after 8 months, they want her to get another x ray.

I came back to the states to get a divorce due to waiting over 3 years for an annulment and no end in site, I had to do it where I didn’t have to deal with… well you know.

So we are close to filing the application, but haven’t yet. We have a lot of time ahead of us to prepare, if we can.

What can we do, if anything, to get cleared through St. Lukes without a nightmare?

I have read different things about dealing with TB/Latent TB/Past TB at St. Lukes. But depending on when, procedures change. So I am looking for what they do now.

One thing I have seen in posts leads me to believe that anything in the x ray is automatically going to cause a 2 month sputum test, is that still true?

I know they are now doing the IGRA test, but not sure if past TB sets that test off anyways. Or even if it matters if they already suspect or know of past infection.

Really looking for guidance of any preparations we can make now and leading up to exam time. And also any info on the current procedures at St. Lukes when dealing with past treated TB.

This looks like a repeat question, which I already answered.

There is no prep or workaround for the TB test or the process.     

The IGRA is not used for adults at SLEC.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.