corvusheart

Moving question: overlapping leases

7 posts in this topic

My husbands N400 was recently approved and we are waiting on oath ceremony letter. We are going to be moving in a few weeks; staying in the same state. Our leases for our old place and new place are going to overlap. Lease up at our current place at the end of June. Lease at new place starts June 5th. We will be using the full month to move all belongings and cleaning up old apartment. Being as we will be having two leases for an entire month. Do we put in our change of address with USCIS after we sign the new lease even though the old lease will still be active?

Edited by corvusheart

- I am the US Sponsor-

Removal of Conditions (pending)

NOA1 - 2/27/2017

Biometrics - 3/22/2017

Citizenship

NOA1 - 3/19/2018

pokemon-signature-278b875.jpg

I'd go ahead and change address. This shouldn't cause any questions and even if it did, there's a pretty logical simple answer to it.

Overlapping leases shouldn't be a big deal, most people give themselves time to move. We plan on signing a new lease on Feb 1st, while our old one goes out Feb 20th. I would do the change of address on Feb 1st personally.

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
12 hours ago, corvusheart said:

My husbands N400 was recently approved and we are waiting on oath ceremony letter. We are going to be moving in a few weeks; staying in the same state. Our leases for our old place and new place are going to overlap. Lease up at our current place at the end of June. Lease at new place starts June 5th. We will be using the full month to move all belongings and cleaning up old apartment. Being as we will be having two leases for an entire month. Do we put in our change of address with USCIS after we sign the new lease even though the old lease will still be active?

You have 10 days after moving. Do it by July 10. Until then, you still have claim to the current apartment as your address. I wouldn't go messing with address changes until I had my letter about the oath ceremony. If you get lucky and have the ceremony in June, then you don't need to change the address at all. On oath day, you are done with USCIS. There is nothing more you have to do for them and nothing more they will send you.

You have 10 shots at a June ceremony date. Hope you get one of them. 

http://www.mnd.uscourts.gov/Naturalization-Schedule.pdf

13 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

You have 10 days after moving. Do it by July 10. Until then, you still have claim to the current apartment as your address. I wouldn't go messing with address changes until I had my letter about the oath ceremony. If you get lucky and have the ceremony in June, then you don't need to change the address at all. On oath day, you are done with USCIS. There is nothing more you have to do for them and nothing more they will send you.

You have 10 shots at a June ceremony date. Hope you get one of them. 

http://www.mnd.uscourts.gov/Naturalization-Schedule.pdf

We don't have the oath letter yet but the digital notice has appeared online saying his ceremony is on June 24th.

- I am the US Sponsor-

NOA1 - 2/27/2017

Biometrics - 3/22/2017

Citizenship

NOA1 - 3/19/2018

Timeline

Ok. On June 24 he will get his naturalization certificate. He owes nothing more to USCIS including a change of address because on June 24 he is no longer a LPR needing to be tracked. 

You legally have that apartment address until June 30. I would totally skip the change of address.

• 1 month later...
On 5/30/2019 at 10:56 AM, Wuozopo said:

Ok. On June 24 he will get his naturalization certificate. He owes nothing more to USCIS including a change of address because on June 24 he is no longer a LPR needing to be tracked. 

You legally have that apartment address until June 30. I would totally skip the change of address.

As you know he naturalized on June 24th and has his certificate. USCIS status updated on July 3 saying certificate has been issued if you move please change your address with us. I thought he didn't have to update his address with USCIS anymore?

- I am the US Sponsor-

NOA1 - 2/27/2017

Biometrics - 3/22/2017

Citizenship

NOA1 - 3/19/2018

Timeline
2 hours ago, corvusheart said:

As you know he naturalized on June 24th and has his certificate. USCIS status updated on July 3 saying certificate has been issued if you move please change your address with us. I thought he didn't have to update his address with USCIS anymore?

Nolo.com says 

Therefore, updating your address with immigration is always a good idea. And if you haven't done it when you've moved in the past, do it now and do it every time you move in the future. Or, if you meet all of the eligibility requirements, consider applying for U.S. citizenship. Once you are a U.S. citizen, you'll never have to give USCIS your address again.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.