Jump to content
sgk1234

Can I attend a certification program? Just finished my OPT, I am waiting for my adjustment of status (F-1 to spouse green card)

7 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

I applied for a marriage-based green card. My official OPT period just ended and before that I already received the notice for the extension of my employment authorization while processing my adjustment of status. I know that I am not allowed to take a certification program under OPT, but I am not sure if my employment authorization is related/under my OPT now. So, I am not sure if I can take a certification program under this new employment authorization.

 

Thank you so much!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, sgk1234 said:

extension of my employment authorization

What exactly is that? Is that the STEM-OPT (26 months or 29 months or whatever it is now) or the EAD based on the marriage-based filing?

 

When you said "I applied for marriage-based green card", what forms did you apply exactly? The most common would be I-130/I-485/I-131/I-765. The reason I ask is there is a difference between employment authorization and authorized stay. So in your case, when your original OPT ended, that ended your authorized stay and your employment authorization. By filing the I-485, you're then back in a period of authorized stay while the I-485 is pending and yes, you are able to attend classes. That has nothing to do with employment authorization. Your I-765 has to be approved before you are able to participate in employment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, USS_Voyager said:

What exactly is that? Is that the STEM-OPT (26 months or 29 months or whatever it is now) or the EAD based on the marriage-based filing?

 

When you said "I applied for marriage-based green card", what forms did you apply exactly? The most common would be I-130/I-485/I-131/I-765. The reason I ask is there is a difference between employment authorization and authorized stay. So in your case, when your original OPT ended, that ended your authorized stay and your employment authorization. By filing the I-485, you're then back in a period of authorized stay while the I-485 is pending and yes, you are able to attend classes. That has nothing to do with employment authorization. Your I-765 has to be approved before you are able to participate in employment. 

Hi USS_Voyager, thank you so much for your respond!

 

The extension of the EAD is for the marriage-based filing.

I applied with all the forms  I-130, I-485, I-131, and I-765.

Once again, thank you :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, sgk1234 said:

Hi USS_Voyager, thank you so much for your respond!

 

The extension of the EAD is for the marriage-based filing.

I applied with all the forms  I-130, I-485, I-131, and I-765.

Once again, thank you :)

 

And you received the approval of the I-765? Then you're good, you can do anything. Next step is to prepare for the interview. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

And you received the approval of the I-765? Then you're good, you can do anything. Next step is to prepare for the interview. 

Oh, I have not received the approval for the new I-765. I just got the I-797C notice and it says that I have the 180 days of the automatic extensions. I just had my biometrics appointment last week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

If your OPT is ended and have not filed for STEM extension, you are no longer in valid  F1 status. You are in pending AOS status that means you can do anything without worrying about already expired F1 status. Your AOS EAD is not related to OPT.

Edited by arken

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

.

.

.

.

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...