Diabloz1019

Ex spouse birth or naturalization Certificate

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Aruba
Timeline

Hi all visa J’s. I got a question here. I am scheduled for an interview for my naturalization. I got the letter today and it says to bring spouse birth or naturalization certificate. The problem is we are divorced a long time ago and I dont have a copy of her certificate. My question is  where can i get a copy of her birth and naturalization certificate? I dont have any contact with her since we were divorced and I dont plan to do that now either. Thanks all.

Did you file under the 3 or 5 year rules?

If you're divorced, then you can't complete under the three year rule and have to wait for five years.

If you filed under five year then you don't need anything from her.

Timeline
6 minutes ago, jskibo said:

Did you file under the 3 or 5 year rules?

If you're divorced, then you can't complete under the three year rule and have to wait for five years.

If you filed under five year then you don't need anything from her.

I filed for the 5 year rule. Do i need to bring her naturalization certificate? Thanks for answering

1 minute ago, Diabloz1019 said:

I filed for the 5 year rule. Do i need to bring her naturalization certificate? Thanks for answering

Might be an oversight on their part, but as a five year filer your application is not dependent upon the marriage, so no reason to show ties, birth certificate of her's, etc.... 

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Diabloz1019 said:

3 minutes ago, jskibo said:

Might be an oversight on their part, but as a five year filer your application is not dependent upon the marriage, so no reason to show ties, birth certificate of her's, etc.... 

The letter states to bring marriage certificate, divorce decree, and spouse naturalization certificate. Not sure if I need to bring all of these or maybe just the divorce decree.

Just now, Diabloz1019 said:

The letter states to bring marriage certificate, divorce decree, and spouse naturalization certificate. Not sure if I need to bring all of these or maybe just the divorce decree.

Can't bring what you don't have access to.

Feds won't give you a copy of her Naturalization Certificate and County won't give you someone else's birth certificate (exceptions of course for a child) for privacy reason.  

You should have a copy or your divorce decree or at least be able to get one, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.