bf__

DS-160 Tiny Typo

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi all.

I have my interview on Friday, and I've just checked through my submitted DS-160 and noticed one tiny typo. I typed the Travel Information section zip code of our address wrong. I typed xxx09 instead of xxx08.

It's correct when it asks about my partners address (which is the same) in Family Information.

I understand I can't change a completed DS-160, and I can complete another one, but is this really necessary for such a small typo? Can the CO fix it at the embassy for my interview?

I've read on here that having 2 DS-160's can complicate stuff and I really don't need that stress

Timeline

I have just filled out a new DS-160 as not to risk it.

Do I just bring both to my interview? It seems I can't update my number on the interview booking site

15 hours ago, brandonflude1 said:

Do I just bring both to my interview? It seems I can't update my number on the interview booking site

15 hours ago, brandonflude1 said:

So I can't be 100% sure as I don't know the inner workings of the appointment website, but I would imagine that the appointment you have made is tied to the DS160 number you originally put in when you made the appointment and paid, that's why they ask for the DS160 reference, so they can properly connect the applicant/appointment with a valid, complete DS160.  They embassy won't "know" about your other DS160 (the new one) as they have no way of knowing it exists and is tied to your application so just turning up with a new one is probably not going to help.  It doesn't look like the reference tied to your application can be changed by you, I have an appointment in the next week or so and logged in to check if I could change the D160 reference, I agree, you can't.

I'd like to say that a small typo like that wouldn't matter but I don't know for sure, perhaps someone who has been on the forums longer might be able to advise.  Maybe the best option would be to contact the embassy and ask for their guidance on it, maybe provide both DS160 number and ask if they can update it at their end or if it is something they are even bothered about.

Outside of that the only other things that come to mind are

• Cancel the current appointment and reschedule.  I don't know if you get a refund when you cancel but by making a new appointment you could then enter the new DS160 reference.  Seems a bit extreme.
  • Do nothing and hope it's alright.  

Tsu

1 minute ago, tsusoup said:

So I can't be 100% sure as I don't know the inner workings of the appointment website, but I would imagine that the appointment you have made is tied to the DS160 number you originally put in when you made the appointment and paid, that's why they ask for the DS160 reference, so they can properly connect the applicant/appointment with a valid, complete DS160.  They embassy won't "know" about your other DS160 (the new one) as they have no way of knowing it exists and is tied to your application so just turning up with a new one is probably not going to help.  It doesn't look like the reference tied to your application can be changed by you, I have an appointment in the next week or so and logged in to check if I could change the D160 reference, I agree, you can't.

I'd like to say that a small typo like that wouldn't matter but I don't know for sure, perhaps someone who has been on the forums longer might be able to advise.  Maybe the best option would be to contact the embassy and ask for their guidance on it, maybe provide both DS160 number and ask if they can update it at their end or if it is something they are even bothered about.

• Cancel the current appointment and reschedule.  I don't know if you get a refund when you cancel but by making a new appointment you could then enter the new DS160 reference.  Seems a bit extreme.

Tsu

Ah, 

Just saw on another thread you asked the same question and someone said just to correct it at interview!  Probably the easiest solution then!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
4 hours ago, tsusoup said:

Or how about bring the new confirmation page to the interview, with the number that references your new DS-160. Then they can pull up the correct version to view at the interview.

A tip---

If everybody would read the London website thoroughly including the FAQs, and apply a little logic, you would understand more. Same for the Department of State website concerning visas. 

(Ds-160 and DS-260 are both visa applications so it follows whatever they describe for on can be applied to the other,)

If you have made an error when completing the DS-260 you are required to correct the error and re-transmit it if the error concerns the Background and Security questions or passport number.  Please contact us through our website as we will be required to unlock your case before you can amend the information.  If the error is in the biographic details, you may notify the consular officer on the day of your interview and take no further action.

DS-160 Confirmation Page

Should I bring my entire application or just the confirmation page with me to the interview? 

You are not required to bring your entire application. For your interview, you are required to bring your confirmation page with your application ID number on it so we can retrieve your DS-160. You must bring the confirmation page with you during all phases of the application process. Without the confirmation page, we may not be able to process your visa case.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Wuozopo said:

I did see this after my post(s).

I emailed the embassy too who said I can just correct it at the interview like you said. Stress gone!

Thank you for your email. 

Please attend your appointment as scheduled. You will have the opportunity to discuss this with the consular officer.

Sincerely, 
Consular Information Unit

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.