365 posts in this topic

I’m now a US citizen! I had my oath this morning in Vegas. 
The ceremony wasn’t that good because of Covid. We couldn’t have anyone with us and had a judge recite the oath through a live feed. It was 15 minutes long and then we were handed our certs and left the building. 
No speeches, no saying what countries were represented, no cheering, no photos etc. 

It’s over with and I’m happy about that but it doesn’t feel like a big day. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 6/16/2020 at 11:43 AM, Cali23 said:

I’m now a US citizen! I had my oath this morning in Vegas. 
The ceremony wasn’t that good because of Covid. We couldn’t have anyone with us and had a judge recite the oath through a live feed. It was 15 minutes long and then we were handed our certs and left the building. 
No speeches, no saying what countries were represented, no cheering, no photos etc. 

It’s over with and I’m happy about that but it doesn’t feel like a big day. 

Congratulations!!  Glad it went well, even if it was a bit underwhelming!

Mailed in 129F Packet: June 23, 2015

NOA1: July 8, 2014

NOA2: January 4, 2015

Packet 3: February 21, 2015

Packet 4: February 27, 2015

1st Canadian Background Check Performed: March 23, 2015 (Ended up getting lost in the mail!)

Interview (Montreal): April 1, 2015 (Not approved- missing Canadian Background Check)

2nd Canadian Background Check Performed: April 7, 2015 (Location's system went down, never received)

3rd Canadian Background Check Performed: April 10, 2015 (Emailed to us a few hours later)

3rd Canadian Background Check & Passport submitted to U.S. Consulate via Loomis: April 13, 2015

3rd Canadian Background Check Rejected for being a print-out (that's all we had at first!): May 6, 2015

Original 3rd Canadian Background Check w/ Sticker submitted via Loomis: May 6, 2015

Status Changed to "Issued": June 9, 2015

Visa Ready for Pick-Up: June 12, 2015

POE (Canadian-USA Border at Champlain St. Bernard de Lacolle): June 12, 2015

MARRIED! June 23, 2015

Mailed in AOS Packet: June 27, 2015

NOA1: July 6, 2015

Biometrics: July 20, 2015 (Actual appt. date in letter was July 28, 2015, but we did a walk-in)

Timeline
43 minutes ago, Cali23 said:

Thank you. Any update on your oath yet?

Yes, scheduled for this Monday, June 22!  :)

1st Canadian Background Check Performed: March 23, 2015 (Ended up getting lost in the mail!)

Interview (Montreal): April 1, 2015 (Not approved- missing Canadian Background Check)

2nd Canadian Background Check Performed: April 7, 2015 (Location's system went down, never received)

3rd Canadian Background Check Performed: April 10, 2015 (Emailed to us a few hours later)

3rd Canadian Background Check & Passport submitted to U.S. Consulate via Loomis: April 13, 2015

3rd Canadian Background Check Rejected for being a print-out (that's all we had at first!): May 6, 2015

Original 3rd Canadian Background Check w/ Sticker submitted via Loomis: May 6, 2015

MARRIED! June 23, 2015

Biometrics: July 20, 2015 (Actual appt. date in letter was July 28, 2015, but we did a walk-in)

Timeline

My husband became a citizen yesterday!  He had to wait in a line outside in the hot Las Vegas sun (113 degrees!) for a while so I was worried about everyone in line getting heat stroke in their suits and dress clothes.  The CBP officers went through the line and had each person briefly remove their mask to verify their identity then went through the line again to collect and check everyone's paperwork (N-455 forms, etc.).  Everyone then started making their way inside through security.  They were allowed to bring in cell phones, but were told they couldn't record anything inside and needed to turn them off.  He said that they were brought to a large room where chairs were placed 6 feet away from each other.  They were each given 2 envelopes.  One envelope contained a letter from President Trump.  The other envelope contained some information on registering to vote, applying for a passport, and a flyer with the Pledge of Allegiance and the words to the Star Spangled Banner.  They also received a small American flag.  They had to wait for a bit for the Judge to arrive on the TV screen then the CPB officers said something along the lines of "we present these individuals who have been vetted and are approved for citizenship."  The Judge said a few inspiring words about these being trying times and that he knows it is a big decision to leave your home country behind.  He said that we are a nation of immigrants and that it's important to not forget about where you came from, but to bring the good qualities of your countries with you to your new life here to help build a better America.  (Or something along that line!)  Then the Judge read the oath and everyone responded with "I do."  Then they all had to repeat the oath.  They were given their citizenship certificates and were shown out.  The whole time inside the building was about one hour.

It's crazy to think that after six years (exactly six years from the date I mailed our I-129F application!) that this is finally all behind us and he is now a full American citizen.  I truly hope that each of you that are still waiting hear more news soon.  Good luck to you all!  Be sure to keep updating the google doc!

MARRIED! June 23, 2015

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.