MrsDarby

Child Support-Please help

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello,

I have a big concern...my fiance just moved over 2 weeks ago. We are getting married in one week, and our lawyer has told us that he probably won't be able to work (get permission) until the very earliest of July. That's 3 months out of work plus the month he's already been out of work. Naturally finances are very tight. We are having a traditional wedding, and my parents are paying for MOST of it. So what little money my fiance has is saved for day-to-day living and emergencies.

My fiance was married before in England, and they have a child together. Since getting divorced and paying chil support (just over one year) my fiance has been paying 35% more each month than recommended for his income bracket. He also paid for half of her lawyers fees and divorce fees. He also paid half of her moving expenses so she could be closer to her family. All these outgoings have put him in the hole financially.

Anyway, he has told her that he will not be able to pay for a couple months until he is working (by the way he has been out of work for one month and has paid during this time). She wrote him a pretty nasty e-mail about how she is going to go to her lawyer again (this whole thing has been very messy) and will seek legal assistance against him. She says that her lawyer can "get him" over here, and he'll be paying more because they will consider my income too. Does anyone have any experience with this? Can she really go after him in the U.S.?

PLEASE UNDERSTAND THIS...he has paid more than he is required to pay. This is a VERY temporary situation until he is working again. He just plain old does not have the money to pay right now. His child's mother is very well off, so she is not struggling in the least (although she claims she is). She got a huge settlement when her father passed away. Not to mention that she has a good job and no house payment. Yes, he should also be responsible to pay for his child, and he would be if he could be working. Of course it's not his decision to not be working.

Timeline

Sounds like it would be best to talk to a lawyer... child support laws verify from state to state, and in this case country to country. Here in NC, and a couple of states that I know of from looking things up, your income would not be considered into it no matter what.

There's too many varibles for a common person that's not up on all the laws to know. Yes, he should pay some kind of child support, but if he's unable to.. the only way that "I" know of for her lawyer to get him over here would be to take it to court, and then have the UK govt try and extradite him.... would they do that over a temporary civil thing? I doubt it.. but again, I don't know.

And figures... he seems to go above and beyond to help out... more CS payments then required.. helping her out and what not... and she wants to pull this #######.

How it Started

2001 to Feb 2002 - Met online, were acquintances

Mar to Apr 2005 - Talked about finally giving in to our feelings and getting married

Aug 1 to Aug 7, 2005 - Fifth US Visit - Engaged

Time for the Visa

Dec 8, 2005 - Finally mailed Packet

Dec 20, 2005 - NOA1 Notice Date

Dec 27, 2005 - NOA1 Rcv'd in Mail

Mar 10, 2006 - NOA2 Approved

Mar 23, 2006 - NVC Received Packet

Mar 24, 2006 - Case Forwarded to London Embassy

Apr 7, 2006 - Recieved Packet 3

May 11, 2006 - Packet 3 Sent Back

May 24, 2006 - Medical Appointment

May 24, 2006 - Packet 4 Received

Jun 14, 2006 - Interview - APPROVED!!!!!!!

Jun 16, 2006 - Visa Recieved

I think she has a hard job on her hands....and an expensive one. If she is going to rely on CSA (Child support Agency) to do this...They can't even get their act together in the UK let alone another country. I suggest a well worded letter explaining that no payment can be made until your husband is able to work....and when he does payments will resume. Hopefully she will see sense and be reasonable about it.

Good Luck.... :thumbs:

Sounds like it would be best to talk to a lawyer... child support laws verify from state to state, and in this case country to country. Here in NC, and a couple of states that I know of from looking things up, your income would not be considered into it no matter what.

There's too many varibles for a common person that's not up on all the laws to know. Yes, he should pay some kind of child support, but if he's unable to.. the only way that "I" know of for her lawyer to get him over here would be to take it to court, and then have the UK govt try and extradite him.... would they do that over a temporary civil thing? I doubt it.. but again, I don't know.

And figures... he seems to go above and beyond to help out... more CS payments then required.. helping her out and what not... and she wants to pull this #######.

:yes:

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

There is most definitely an international child support agreement that means she can "get him" here. If it were the other way around (American moving to the UK), I'd say he should file to have the case transferred to there for collection (in the US, if the payor lives out of state/country, it's collected by his/her state or country) and file there to have the child support reduced. I would also say that being temporarily legally prohibited from working is probably grounds to suspend child support *enforcement* (meaning they couldn't do anything to him if he didn't pay) but not the support itself, so the arrears would accumulate and he'd have to pay it off later.

I don't know the details of Britain's system, though. But yes, there is an international agreement on child support that the US is party to, and I assume Britain is also.

It doesn't mean jack that he's paid more than he was supposed to if he's been paying what the court order/divorce settlement said. Now, if it says he should pay £100/wk and he's been paying £135/wk, obviously he should have a credit outstanding. But it sounds to me like he agreed to pay more than he would have been required to, and that agreement was memorialized. He won't get credit for that.

That said, I once had an a**hole father claim he couldn't pay child support because his green card was pending and he didn't want to work illegally and processing times out of Texas (forget which DO) were 2-3 years. Guess he and his lawyer didn't know there was such a thing as an EAD. I nearly strangled him. (And the hard thing about being an interpreter is that I couldn't interject and say "Why didn't you file for the work permit, which they're legally required to give you within 90 days?" I did tell the Hearing Officer afterwards in case the situation came up again, but ... grr.)

Edited to add: (1) I hope he's paid by check/money order or has receipts. (2) In New Jersey, at least [never worked in family court elsewhere] a temporary inability to work is not grounds for reducing child support, but a new, lower-paying job would be. (3) Your income will not be counted unless you and he have a child together, in which case he would get a smaller credit for your child the larger your income is. (I mean, he gets a credit and a reduction in the child support order for supporting another child besides the one in England. That credit depends on how much money the mother of the other child makes.)

Edited by sparkofcreation

Bethany (NJ, USA) & Gareth (Scotland, UK)

-----------------------------------------------

01 Nov 2007: N-400 FedEx'd to TSC

05 Nov 2007: NOA-1 Date

28 Dec 2007: Check cashed

05 Jan 2008: NOA-1 Received

02 Feb 2008: Biometrics notice received

23 Feb 2008: Biometrics at Albuquerque ASC

12 Jun 2008: Interview letter received

12 Aug 2008: Interview at Albuquerque DO--PASSED!

15 Aug 2008: Oath Ceremony

-----------------------------------------------

Any information, opinions, etc., given by me are based entirely on personal experience, observations, research common sense, and an insanely accurate memory; and are not in any way meant to constitute (1) legal advice nor (2) the official policies/advice of my employer.

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

Many states already have separate agreements with Great Brit to honor and collect each others court ordered child support payments.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
Hello,

I have a big concern...my fiance just moved over 2 weeks ago. We are getting married in one week, and our lawyer has told us that he probably won't be able to work (get permission) until the very earliest of July. That's 3 months out of work plus the month he's already been out of work. Naturally finances are very tight. We are having a traditional wedding, and my parents are paying for MOST of it. So what little money my fiance has is saved for day-to-day living and emergencies.

My fiance was married before in England, and they have a child together. Since getting divorced and paying chil support (just over one year) my fiance has been paying 35% more each month than recommended for his income bracket. He also paid for half of her lawyers fees and divorce fees. He also paid half of her moving expenses so she could be closer to her family. All these outgoings have put him in the hole financially.

Anyway, he has told her that he will not be able to pay for a couple months until he is working (by the way he has been out of work for one month and has paid during this time). She wrote him a pretty nasty e-mail about how she is going to go to her lawyer again (this whole thing has been very messy) and will seek legal assistance against him. She says that her lawyer can "get him" over here, and he'll be paying more because they will consider my income too. Does anyone have any experience with this? Can she really go after him in the U.S.?

PLEASE UNDERSTAND THIS...he has paid more than he is required to pay. This is a VERY temporary situation until he is working again. He just plain old does not have the money to pay right now. His child's mother is very well off, so she is not struggling in the least (although she claims she is). She got a huge settlement when her father passed away. Not to mention that she has a good job and no house payment. Yes, he should also be responsible to pay for his child, and he would be if he could be working. Of course it's not his decision to not be working.

I would imagine that international would follow the same rules as interstate, which is that the child support amount is only based on the income of the parent. This even caries over into tax refunds being garnished for child support. My son's biological father is seriously behind on support. When he was married and filed a joint tax return, I only got his portion of the return, his wife's portion was mailed to her.

I-130

2005-09-23 Sent I-130.

2005-10-05 I-130 NOA1

2006-02-19 *touched*

2006-02-21 RFE

2006-03-09 RFE received by CSC

2006-03-29 I-130 NOA2

2006-03-31 *touched*

2006-04-01 *touched*

2006-04-12 NVC assigned case number

I-129F

2005-11-18 I-129F Sent

2005-11-29 I-129F NOA1

2005-12-27 I-129F RFE :(

2006-01-13 I-129F RFE Reply sent.

2006-01-25 *touched*

2006-01-26 I-129F RFE received

2006-04-04 *touched*

2006-04-04 NOA2 **approved!!!**

2006-04-20 NVC assigned case number

2006-04-21 case forwarded to embassy

2006-04-26 packet 3 received

2006-05-02 packet 3 sent

2006-05-04 packet 4 received

2006-05-15 Interview in Stockholm **APPROVED**

2006-05-23 My sweetie is coming home!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
There is most definitely an international child support agreement that means she can "get him" here. If it were the other way around (American moving to the UK), I'd say he should file to have the case transferred to there for collection (in the US, if the payor lives out of state/country, it's collected by his/her state or country) and file there to have the child support reduced. I would also say that being temporarily legally prohibited from working is probably grounds to suspend child support *enforcement* (meaning they couldn't do anything to him if he didn't pay) but not the support itself, so the arrears would accumulate and he'd have to pay it off later.

I don't know the details of Britain's system, though. But yes, there is an international agreement on child support that the US is party to, and I assume Britain is also.

It doesn't mean jack that he's paid more than he was supposed to if he's been paying what the court order/divorce settlement said. Now, if it says he should pay £100/wk and he's been paying £135/wk, obviously he should have a credit outstanding. But it sounds to me like he agreed to pay more than he would have been required to, and that agreement was memorialized. He won't get credit for that.

That said, I once had an a**hole father claim he couldn't pay child support because his green card was pending and he didn't want to work illegally and processing times out of Texas (forget which DO) were 2-3 years. Guess he and his lawyer didn't know there was such a thing as an EAD. I nearly strangled him. (And the hard thing about being an interpreter is that I couldn't interject and say "Why didn't you file for the work permit, which they're legally required to give you within 90 days?" I did tell the Hearing Officer afterwards in case the situation came up again, but ... grr.)

Edited to add: (1) I hope he's paid by check/money order or has receipts. (2) In New Jersey, at least [never worked in family court elsewhere] a temporary inability to work is not grounds for reducing child support, but a new, lower-paying job would be. (3) Your income will not be counted unless you and he have a child together, in which case he would get a smaller credit for your child the larger your income is. (I mean, he gets a credit and a reduction in the child support order for supporting another child besides the one in England. That credit depends on how much money the mother of the other child makes.)

Not sure about the UK but I know that because my Child custody agreement/child support agreement was initialized in Canada All re-assessments, changes/whatever have to be done in Canadian courts. This supercedes American law.

Sry to say but just because the other parent is well off doesn't dissmiss the fact that the other parent has to pay child support.However, the courts take into account the budgets of both parents and their income.

A Lily & A Rose...Together Forever !

April 28th INTERVIEW DATE !!!!!!!! APPROVED

June 30th Arrived in my Sweeties Arms !!

August 4th.2005 Our Wedding

Sept. 19th Sent AOS

Sept 28th recieved NOA for AOS

Nov.05/05 recieved Biometrics letter

Nov.17th Biometrics Appt.

Nov. 22nd. AP Approved

Nov. 25th/05 recieved EAD card

Nov.30th. recieved AP Papers in mail

Dec. 08th/05 Recieved Snail mail letter for AOS Interview Feb 15th 7:40 AM.

Feb. 15th. /06 AOS Interview SUCCESS !!!! no more to deal with for another 2 yrs!

Feb. 27th./06 Recieved Greencard in the mail

August 4th/06 Our First Wedding Anniversary !!

Feb. 8th 08 Sent in Packet to remove conditions

Feb 23rd 08 Recieve NOA letter stating they are extending my Greencard for another year.

March 11th 08 biometrics appt.

May 29th 08 recieved email stating Card production ordered

June 7th 2008 10 yr card recieved.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

alfie.jpg

My lil Alfie boy

:unsure:

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Here is our experience!!! this is happening to Andy (UK) as we speak.

1.) Andy wnats to pay child support

2.) immigrates to USA, has enough money in savings UK account which child support is direct debited out of for approx 3 months.

3.) Savings about to run out.. Andy calls Child support agency in the UK explains to them the situation that his savings has run out ... he is in USA and wants to set up direct debit from here to pay his support.

4.) Child support agency says "YOU DON"T HAVE TO PAY now that you are in the USA" also there is no means to debit from USA for child support.

5.) Andy insists that he wants to pay and child support agency says again "YOU DON"T HAVE TO PAY>> and the only thing ex-spouse can do is try to take it to court but it is hardly ever up held.... child support agency does NOTHING to seek payment from parent in the USA."

6.) Andy gives up with child support agency tells them that he will continue to pay via other means.

7.) We set up a bank account here in the use... send debit card to his ex... and she withdrawls her weekly support .

So to answer your question ... yes she can try to take him to court for payment of child support... it would be an expensive and drawn out affair that would probably take long than his 3 months to get his EAD. I would say his best bet is to send a certified copy of a letter to his EX as well as the child support agency (keeping the orginial certified copy for himself) detailing his intent to pay support when he starts working. Also notifying the child support agency in England via phone to let them know what is happening. This way he is covered if she indeed takes him to court.. This will at least give him documentation of his intentions.

Andy sent a letter to his ex and the child support agency just to make sure he is in a way protected if his ex tries to say he isn't paying.

I hope this has helped some if you need any more information send me a pm and I will be happy to give more of our experience.

Patricia

Edited by Patricia_and_andy

OK here is our story (short version)

we have been married for 3 years anny was July 3rd.

We filed I-130 march 21, 2005

Receipt date march, 30, 2005

Approval notice July 1, 2005

Case # change NVC July 21, 2005

Lawyer recieved fee bills Aug 9, 2005

Filed I-129f March 23, 2005

receipt date April 7, 2005

Approved july 5, 2005

Recieved packet from london July 15th, 2005

Finally mailed packet 3 Aug 5th, 2005

Medical appointment Aug. 13th, 2005

Interview date Sep. 2, 2005 Approved!!

Visa in hand sep. 3, 2005

6d7cfb2.jpg.png

mmhmm ... just as i said in her other thread!

great firsthand advice, patricia!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbs:

line_bar_12d.gifline_bar_12d.gif

Music___Lennon___Imagine_by_jjjean6.png

Faith: not wanting to know what is true.~Nietzsche~

“The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is.”

~Winston Churchill~

text___just_be_animated_colour_by_j.gif

line_bar_12d.gifline_bar_12d.gif

...They can't even get their act together in the UK let alone another country.
6.) Andy gives up with child support agency tells them that he will continue to pay via other means.

Edited by welshcookie

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
mmhmm ... just as i said in her other thread!

great firsthand advice, patricia!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbs:

Thanks Gimy... I posted this in that thread as well... and your letter advice was spot on!!

Patricia.

OK here is our story (short version)

we have been married for 3 years anny was July 3rd.

We filed I-130 march 21, 2005

Receipt date march, 30, 2005

Approval notice July 1, 2005

Case # change NVC July 21, 2005

Lawyer recieved fee bills Aug 9, 2005

Filed I-129f March 23, 2005

receipt date April 7, 2005

Approved july 5, 2005

Recieved packet from london July 15th, 2005

Finally mailed packet 3 Aug 5th, 2005

Medical appointment Aug. 13th, 2005

Interview date Sep. 2, 2005 Approved!!

Visa in hand sep. 3, 2005

6d7cfb2.jpg.png

Timeline

Patricia-

Thanks for the information. It was nice to hear from someone in a similar situation. I think the idea of setting up an account here and sending a debit card for her to use in the UK is a great way to send money. Much easier than trying to wire the money as that can be quite costly. I will definitely tell my fiance.

Thanks!