NFBP

I-130 received...what to prepare now?!

46 posts in this topic

Sure, hope it helps! 

Package 3, for us at least, was this checklist https://de.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/21/Instructions-for-IV-and-K-Visa-Applicants-1.pdf. We prepared all necessary files which are mentioned in that one, for a IR-1 Visa, send it all to Frankfurt. So I think to recall that with receiving my NOA-2 we received a case number which starts with "FRN" and the link above. 

Make sure to pay some extra attention to the IRS tax transcript as we needed to get that one in mail, which took some weeks. There is the option to get this online, but for unknown reasons that didn't work for my wife.

Marcus & Laura

Edited by MarcusMuc

11 hours ago, MarcusMuc said:

Sure, hope it helps! 

Package 3, for us at least, was this checklist https://de.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/21/Instructions-for-IV-and-K-Visa-Applicants-1.pdf. We prepared all necessary files which are mentioned in that one, for a IR-1 Visa, send it all to Frankfurt. So I think to recall that with receiving my NOA-2 we received a case number which starts with "FRN" and the link above. 

Make sure to pay some extra attention to the IRS tax transcript as we needed to get that one in mail, which took some weeks. There is the option to get this online, but for unknown reasons that didn't work for my wife.

Marcus & Laura

How long did it take to get tax transcripts by mail to Germany? 

12 hours ago, GoodJack said:

How long did it take to get tax transcripts by mail to Germany? 

Hm, I don't really remember this but I think it was 2 weeks. But make sure to try the online methode first! https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript 

• 5 weeks later...

Interview tomorrow. I am bringing (a bit more than stated here https://de.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/21/Instructions-for-IV-and-K-Visa-Applicants-1.pdf

• the DS-260 confirmation page,
  • 2 missing/outstanding documents (IRS transcript original and passport photos),
  • application confirmation,
  • e-mail from FRA to go ahead an schedule my interview
  • passport
  • application fee in cash, mastercard, visa card (https://de.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/fees/)

I'll let you guys know how it went. Marcus & Laura

Edited by MarcusMuc

Update post interview:

I slept in the Best Western which is 5 minutes to the general consulate. My appointment was timed for 7:50 and the confirmation letter says you should not show up earlier than 15 minutes prior to that. I arrived at 07:15 and gave it a shot, was no problem. You first go to a window outside the general consulate and state your business. You receive a ticket with a waiting number and a large sticker on your passport. After that, you go through security and walk through a couple of doors into another building. There, you walk to the cashier and hand in your passport and in my case missing files. I only gave him my new passport pictures as I was told  my other ones were too old and needed an update. The missing IRS document he did not take, but told me to hand to the caseworker in the next step. I paid my fee (310 EUR) in cash (but credit card would've been fine too) and then was told that they'll now keep my passport in the file and I should sit and wait. The waiting area is basically the whole building in one big room with windows and consular officers and case workers all around the walls behind counter windows in that room. I sat down and was called 5 minutes later to a window. A case worker ran me through my file and stated everything looks, I handed in my wife's missing IRS transcript, good BUT my medical exam is missing. I could still do my interview and should wait. I sat down again and waited for an hour and was called to a consular officer, a nice young person which greeted me with a smile. I could see her before I was called to the window; the consular officers take their time to look in all details through your file. She took an oath from me that I swear all information provided to the immigration unit written or verbal are correct and true. After that she asked me which language I prefer. We spoke english, her mother tongue. She asked me how I met my wife. She asked me if I ever lived more than 6 months outside of Germany. She asked me which language my wife and I speak at home. She asked me if I live together and where with my wife. After answering all questions she stated that everything looks good and she has no objections to allowing me the VISA I applied for, but without the medical exam file she is not able to process it.

Break. For most people I the journey should end here, you get your passport with the VISA printed/sticker into it in the mail after ~ 4 work days and then you're good to go. 

In my case she told me to directly call my medical examiner and ask about the files. I left the consular office and was pretty happy that everything was OK, but my medical. I called my panel physician's office and they in return called the general consulate. End of the story (for now) is that the consular office is switching from mail to a digital system for medical files and I am likely an unlucky person who's file got lost/currently cannot be found. The consular office told the panel physicians that my file was received on September 5th but cannot be found. 

I wrote the consular office an email to see what the status is and if they found it. In any case, I asked the panel physician to resend the exam to the consular office. 

So overall I am very happy with the experience, the cashier, case worker, consular officer and basically anyone I talked to were really nice. That they're switching systems and it is how it is and I've to just sit this out. I'll keep you updated but am convinced that this is a one time story and you won't have these issues. Protip: Perhaps do the exam asap and schedule your interview not too close to it. Do not book travel to the U.S. before you have your passport with VISA in your hands..

Laura & Marcus

Edited by MarcusMuc

Thank you for the full explanation and recommendation! Overall, I’m very happy to hear it went well outside of the med exam paperwork.

We are still waiting for package 4 to setup the interview. Again, thank you again for all the info and tips. Let us know how everything plays out and I hope it happens quickly for you!

28 minutes ago, rangers90 said:

Thank you for the full explanation and recommendation! Overall, I’m very happy to hear it went well outside of the med exam paperwork.

We are still waiting for package 4 to setup the interview. Again, thank you again for all the info and tips. Let us know how everything plays out and I hope it happens quickly for you!

Updated: After calling my panel physician they called the general consulate. I wrote an email to the consulate and asked if they could let me know the status. They just wrote back that my medical had been found and my visa is processed as we speak.

So that was quick and I want to give a shout-out to the whole crew in the general consulate for their professionalism and ease of process. Sure it takes a while, even with DCF, but it is certainly not up to the caseworkers, consular officers or basically anyone you’re working with on how the process is designed or fast it can go.

Now I’ll patiently wait for a surprise in the mail and hopefully take my immigration flight as planned next Wednesday to start my new job and life on October 1st with my wife.

Perhaps I find the time to summarize my whole experience and provide in one easy overview necessary links and documents for a DCF IR-1. In the end it was more or less easy, once you dig through and know which process and way to follow.

Marcus & Laura

10 minutes ago, MarcusMuc said:

Updated: After calling my panel physician they called the general consulate. I wrote an email to the consulate and asked if they could let me know the status. They just wrote back that my medical had been found and my visa is processed as we speak.

So that was quick and I want to give a shout-out to the whole crew in the general consulate for their professionalism and ease of process. Sure it takes a while, even with DCF, but it is certainly not up to the caseworkers, consular officers or basically anyone you’re working with on how the process is designed or fast it can go.

Now I’ll patiently wait for a surprise in the mail and hopefully take my immigration flight as planned next Wednesday to start my new job and life on October 1st with my wife.

Perhaps I find the time to summarize my whole experience and provide in one easy overview necessary links and documents for a DCF IR-1. In the end it was more or less easy, once you dig through and know which process and way to follow.

Marcus & Laura

Thank you so much for such a detailed post! That is super helpful for us following behind you. We will be sure to double check the medical exam arrives to avoid this confusion!

Congratulations and safe travels!

Update: I received everything in the mail. Passport with immigration visa in it and my whole file sealed which I need to hand in to the boarder officer once I immigrate - that will be next Monday.

There is one more step which is to pay for your SSN / Green Card. That can be done via a link provided on the form (for me the link didn’t work and I had to google for the right address) in which you have to enter your case and visa number. Then pay.gov gets 220 USD. I paid via credit card.

Already put my flight immigration info to Lufthansa and Monday I’ll immigrate through SFO.

Ill bring for this my sealed immigration package; passport; and the sealed chest x-ray. 

I’ll keep you posted on how that goes.

Edited by MarcusMuc

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

We have been following this thread over the last couple of weeks and also had our interview last Wednesday.
My experience is very similar to @MarcusMuc  and unfortunately they also couldn't find my medical.
I'm still communicating with the consulate and panel physician and hoping to reach a conclusion today. I've been told that the consulate recently switched from paper based medical files to the E-Medical system which seems to be causing a few hiccups. If you have your interview soon, be prepared that this could be a problem for you as well :(

But besides this, the interview went great and I was in and out of the consulate in about 90 minutes. There is really nothing to be worried about

Best,
Aaron

Could i ask you if that depended on your physician or on the general system? I am thinking of going to the doctor in Dortmund, since it would be very close to where i live, but if for any reason the Frankfurt doctor (being probably the once chosen by most people) is a "safer" choice I could consider that too...

23 hours ago, Elisaz.91 said:

Could i ask you if that depended on your physician or on the general system? I am thinking of going to the doctor in Dortmund, since it would be very close to where i live, but if for any reason the Frankfurt doctor (being probably the once chosen by most people) is a "safer" choice I could consider that too...

Update: after going back and forth between the doctor and consulate for several days, the doctor finally contacted the consulate directly and emailed them the results. I'm just waiting to get my visa in the mail now :)

My understanding is that all physicians are going through this change from paper-based files to the E-Medical system. But I have to note that doctors offices in Berlin (where I had my exam done) are notoriously incompetent, which is completly different from my experiences in NRW, so that might explain why I had to almost beg my doctors office to do something. I can't speak to the helpfulness of doctors in Dortmund, so I would say do the medical where it's easiest for you, and just try to get it done early and confirm with the doctor and consulate that the results have been transmitted before your interview.

• 4 weeks later...

I ask here in case someone still checks this - can I ask you how much you paid for the Medical? I am a bit in shock. 

I payed 300€ directly to the doctor; then 36€ for the X-ray. Now i just received a bill saying that i have to pay another 170€ for the lab costs! I thought those were included in what i paid the doctor! I'll call the doctor as soon as he's back (this week he was on vacation), but i wanted to understand if it's normal to pay almost 500€ for the medical!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.