Kept

Scheduling my own appointment?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello! I'm a Canadian citizen who's been married to my American husband for 5 years. We completed the I-130, submitted the DS 260 application, and received an email from the Montreal consulate visa unit saying "This office has completed the review of the below-referenced immigrant visa case. You are now ready for an interview at the U.S. Consulate General in Montreal, where all interviews for immigration to the US from Canada are processed. This letter provides information on the next steps you must take to continue with your immigrant visa case." The letter then prompted me to go online to schedule an appointment. I received this email on November 1st, 2018.

I have checked the website every day since, multiple times a day. So far there was only one available appointment-- On February 12th I saw that there was an availability on Valentine's day (two days later that same month). Of course, I thought this would not be possible considering I need to get time off work, book and attend a medical appointment, and travel all before that date... so I didn't schedule. Now I am wondering if I made a terrible mistake passing that appointment up. There have been no appointments since, and I'm losing sleep over it. I have called multiple times as an alternative to booking on the website and they tell me there are no appointments at this time, and to check every day. I am wondering how often the appointments are posted on that site, or if anyone else has been in a similar situation. I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong. 

Someone in another forum made the suggestion that I have made a mistake somehow if I am scheduling my appointment instead of being issued an appointment date by the USCIS, which adds to my anxiety. Are there any Canadians going through the same thing right now, or has anyone scheduled online before?

Timeline
2 hours ago, Kept said:

Hello! I'm a Canadian citizen who's been married to my American husband for 5 years. We completed the I-130, submitted the DS 260 application, and received an email from the Montreal consulate visa unit saying "This office has completed the review of the below-referenced immigrant visa case. You are now ready for an interview at the U.S. Consulate General in Montreal, where all interviews for immigration to the US from Canada are processed. This letter provides information on the next steps you must take to continue with your immigrant visa case." The letter then prompted me to go online to schedule an appointment. I received this email on November 1st, 2018.

I have checked the website every day since, multiple times a day. So far there was only one available appointment-- On February 12th I saw that there was an availability on Valentine's day (two days later that same month). Of course, I thought this would not be possible considering I need to get time off work, book and attend a medical appointment, and travel all before that date... so I didn't schedule. Now I am wondering if I made a terrible mistake passing that appointment up. There have been no appointments since, and I'm losing sleep over it. I have called multiple times as an alternative to booking on the website and they tell me there are no appointments at this time, and to check every day. I am wondering how often the appointments are posted on that site, or if anyone else has been in a similar situation. I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong. 

Someone in another forum made the suggestion that I have made a mistake somehow if I am scheduling my appointment instead of being issued an appointment date by the USCIS, which adds to my anxiety. Are there any Canadians going through the same thing right now, or has anyone scheduled online before?

Are you CR-1 or K1? I thought it’s NVC that schedules for spousal visa interviews? 

I would contact the NVC.  They should schedule your interview.  

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Did you request an expedite or miss your original interview date?

:time:

https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=327209

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
3 minutes ago, NikLR said:

Did you request an expedite or miss your original interview date?

:time:

https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=327209

We had originally filed while living together where my husband was stationed overseas in Italy, but he sustained a knee injury and was honorably discharged from the Navy. They tried to expedite and I believe we may have even had an appointment in Rome but we couldn't attend because they were returning us to our perspective countries just before then. We explained to the USCIS what happened and they transferred everything over to Montreal which took months. 

That explains more. You're technically rescheduling an interview and were expedited. So yes you schedule with Montreal on the same website that a K1 would.  Your case is not with the NVC and never was due to DCF.  This is important information and explains why your case is atypical.  

USCIS wouldnt schedule the interview, the NVC normally would but you're beyond that stage.  Check daily and book asap. 

Edited by NikLR

Timeline
On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 11:13 AM, NikLR said:

That explains more. You're technically rescheduling an interview and were expedited. So yes you schedule with Montreal on the same website that a K1 would.  Your case is not with the NVC and never was due to DCF.  This is important information and explains why your case is atypical.  

USCIS wouldnt schedule the interview, the NVC normally would but you're beyond that stage.  Check daily and book asap. 

Thank you very much for the informative reply. I was very concerned. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.