johnnyI129F

<<AOS from K1 >> package sent but ... ?

28 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, K1visaHopeful said:

....input "I485" and your LFO from the previous step here:

https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/

You will need to scroll to the bottom and look for processing times for family based applications.

1-Is it this year totally different than 2018 ?? cause I saw some people here ,got their green card through AOS from K1 in 3 months from the date of filing .. is this still a possibility or non exist anymore ?? 

2- Since what date the residency of the green card will start counting ? ( is it the date of entry with the K1 ? .. the date they received the AOS package ? I am confused ? or they date they issue the green card !!!

3- Whenever my wife will get her green card , is that the 2 years green card ? if so ? do you have to file for the ROC after that ? that will take a year as well to be approved I believe so, how is that will work ? do you apply for another green card or do you apply for the US Citizenship right away ?? in my understanding but I might wrong … the spouse will be allowed to apply for the citizenship after 3 years of being married .. so I guess the 3 year clock start from the day of marriage certificate .. but with all these green card delays wonder how is it will work now please ? 

22 minutes ago, johnnyI129F said:

1-Is it this year totally different than 2018 ?? cause I saw some people here ,got their green card through AOS from K1 in 3 months from the date of filing .. is this still a possibility or non exist anymore ?? 

2- Since what date the residency of the green card will start counting ? ( is it the date of entry with the K1 ? .. the date they received the AOS package ? I am confused ? or they date they issue the green card !!!

3- Whenever my wife will get her green card , is that the 2 years green card ? if so ? do you have to file for the ROC after that ? that will take a year as well to be approved I believe so, how is that will work ? do you apply for another green card or do you apply for the US Citizenship right away ?? in my understanding but I might wrong … the spouse will be allowed to apply for the citizenship after 3 years of being married .. so I guess the 3 year clock start from the day of marriage certificate .. but with all these green card delays wonder how is it will work now please ? 

1. These are estimates. K1s are generally faster than other Visa categories. You'd have to research K1 AOS timelines on VJ for your LFO.

2. Your residency starts the day you receive your first GC. 

3. Yes if you are married less than two years on the day of your GC Approval, you will receive a 2 year Conditional Permanent Residency Card. 

Yes, you will have to apply for ROC at the 2 year anniversary minus 90 days from your original GC issue date. 

If your GC interview is delayed beyond your second wedding anniversary, you will instead be issued a 10 year GC at your interview and avoid having to file ROC.

You can apply for Citizenship on the 3rd anniversary minus 90 days from your original GC issue date provided you are still married.

Five years minus 90 days if no longer married.

No, the clock for citizenship starts on the day you get your first GC, not the date of marriage.

The clock that decides if you will get a 2 year GC or a 10 year GC does start on the date of marriage though. If less than two years has passed between your marriage and your GC interview, you will be issued a 2 yr card.

If more than two years has passed between your marriage date and your GC interview, you will be issued a 10 yr GC. 

Sooooo the longer you have to wait for a GC interview, the better IF you are trying to avoid the ROC process and the extra cost of that. It's extremely rare that a K1 would have to wait beyond 2 years for an interview though so not having to file ROC is only a big wish that will most likely never come true.

37 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

1. These are estimates. K1s are generally faster than other Visa categories. You'd have to research K1 AOS timelines on VJ for your LFO.

2. Your residency starts the day you receive your first GC. 

3. Yes if you are married less than two years on the day of your GC Approval, you will receive a 2 year Conditional Permanent Residency Card. 

Yes, you will have to apply for ROC at the 2 year anniversary minus 90 days from your original GC issue date. 

If your GC interview is delayed beyond your second wedding anniversary, you will instead be issued a 10 year GC at your interview and avoid having to file ROC.

You can apply for Citizenship on the 3rd anniversary minus 90 days from your original GC issue date provided you are still married.

Five years minus 90 days if no longer married.

No, the clock for citizenship starts on the day you get your first GC, not the date of marriage.

The clock that decides if you will get a 2 year GC or a 10 year GC does start on the date of marriage though. If less than two years has passed between your marriage and your GC interview, you will be issued a 2 yr card.

If more than two years has passed between your marriage date and your GC interview, you will be issued a 10 yr GC. 

Sooooo the longer you have to wait for a GC interview, the better IF you are trying to avoid the ROC process and the extra cost of that. It's extremely rare that a K1 would have to wait beyond 2 years for an interview though so not having to file ROC is only a big wish that will most likely never come true.

That's great details I really appreciate it , now you made me feel I should done the AOS the day after we got married not to wait till I filed 2018 taxes .. I filed 2.5 months after the day of marriage .. 

1- I have applied for my wife for SSN/SSC on the K1 visa and the I-94 as soon as I got a chance very much 20 days after entry .. we got her SSN/SSC ..is this will be Useful ?if so what for ? on her I485 we did mention the ssn and sent a copy of it in all the 3 applications .. also checked the box on the I-485 ewe don't need the Homeland security to request from the SSA to issue a card ..as she has one and she can update the status on it with the SS office as soon as she get her GC .. is that good ? 

2- By the time waiting on the ROC ( it seems taking long time ) and you have reached the 3rd year anniversary minus 90 days from the original GC … can you apply for the citizenship while waiting on the ROC ? 

3- Base on what I understood ,they give you 2 years conditional GC then they give you 10 years GC after the ROC ..the reason its that way, to prove the marriage is Genuine right ? is their a shortcut where you can prove the marriage is genuine on the I-485 or in immigration court so you get the 10 years GC right away without going in the long wait and file loop just to prove your marriage is genuine ??  I appreciate your input 

lastly

4- How do I search the AOS timeline on VJ for my wife LFO ? Thanks again . 

3 minutes ago, johnnyI129F said:

That's great details I really appreciate it , now you made me feel I should done the AOS the day after we got married not to wait till I filed 2018 taxes .. I filed 2.5 months after the day of marriage .. 

1- I have applied for my wife for SSN/SSC on the K1 visa and the I-94 as soon as I got a chance very much 20 days after entry .. we got her SSN/SSC ..is this will be Useful

Will need that to work once she gets her EAD.

?if so what for ? on her I485 we did mention the ssn and sent a copy of it in all the 3 applications copy of SSN not needed as evidence for AOS... also checked the box on the I-485 ?, pardon? Thats on the I765

ewe don't need the Homeland security to request from the SSA to issue a card ..as she has one and she can update the status on it with the SS office as soon as she get her GC .. is that good ? You could have applied for a replacement card in her new married name on the I765 and would have avoided going to SSA to change her name once the EAD arrives.

2- By the time waiting on the ROC ( it seems taking long time ) and you have reached the 3rd year anniversary minus 90 days from the original GC … can you apply for the citizenship while waiting on the ROC ? You can but they will usually combine the applications meaning you will have to wait for your citizenship to be approved which can take 2 years or more for that to happen ie. You wont get a 10 year card and will have to keep applying for extensions on your 2 year card. 

3- Base on what I understood ,they give you 2 years conditional GC then they give you 10 years GC after the ROC ..the reason its that way, to prove the marriage is Genuine right ? Yes.

is their a shortcut where you can prove the marriage is genuine on the I-485 or in immigration court so you get the 10 years GC right away without going in the long wait and file loop just to prove your marriage is genuine ?? Nope.

I appreciate your input 

lastly

You need to do some research my dear! Try using the VJ search option above as these are all very common questions discussed regularly on VJ.

21 minutes ago, johnnyI129F said:

20190423_041511.jpg

Screenshot_20190423-041605_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20190423-041631_Samsung Internet.jpg

7 hours ago, K1visaHopeful said:

You need to do some research my dear! Try using the VJ search option above as these are all very common questions discussed regularly on VJ.

Thank you so much … 

You could have applied for a replacement card in her new married name on the I765 and would have avoided going to SSA to change her name once the EAD arrives. 

in our culture we don't change the last name , we keep our last names as they are before marriage .. so her EAD card will match the exact name on the SSC she got base on the K1 status .. but do we need to update the social security office with her EAD status when she get it  ( since the SSC base on I-94 which is expired now ? or we have to wait till she get the GC ? 

the other question I have regarding this .. let me explain first : ( its very common in US Culture, Canada , Europe and probably even South America ) to change the wife last to the husband's after marriage .. However in the Middle Eastern culture or I believe Muslims in general .. Don't do that ( The woman keeping her Tree roots ,base on her family tribe  name (( last name )) if she change her last name to the husband's, her tribe won't accept that and that will cause issue with my family and her family eventually will effect our marriage in away or other … Question : I wonder how much the Immigration Officer will have knowledge of this ( I am sure millions of Middle Easterners they have applied before me keeping their last names on their immigrations applications )  Or do they take this as the marriage in doubt due to the last name not changed after marriage ! very confusing ! .. or delay the process just cause the IO won't like the idea of keeping the culture ( Hey you are in America , You should do it the American way , do you understand ?! ) that type of IO ?

Lastly , should I apply for new I-94 since the last one expired or the Receipt letter for the I-485 ,I-765 will suffice instead of that ?

Thank you so much  

39 minutes ago, johnnyI129F said:

Thank you so much … 

You could have applied for a replacement card in her new married name on the I765 and would have avoided going to SSA to change her name once the EAD arrives. 

in our culture we don't change the last name , we keep our last names as they are before marriage .. so her EAD card will match the exact name on the SSC she got base on the K1 status .. but do we need to update the social security office with her EAD status when she get it  ( since the SSC base on I-94 which is expired now ? or we have to wait till she get the GC ? 

The SSN card will state "valid with DHS authorization" until she gets her GC. There is nothing to change but the married name, if applicable until then. You will only need to change it once the GC is received.

the other question I have regarding this .. let me explain first : ( its very common in US Culture, Canada , Europe and probably even South America ) to change the wife last to the husband's after marriage .. However in the Middle Eastern culture or I believe Muslims in general .. Don't do that ( The woman keeping her Tree roots ,base on her family tribe  name (( last name )) if she change her last name to the husband's, her tribe won't accept that and that will cause issue with my family and her family eventually will effect our marriage in away or other … Question : I wonder how much the Immigration Officer will have knowledge of this ( I am sure millions of Middle Easterners they have applied before me keeping their last names on their immigrations applications )  Or do they take this as the marriage in doubt due to the last name not changed after marriage ! very confusing ! .. or delay the process just cause the IO won't like the idea of keeping the culture ( Hey you are in America , You should do it the American way , do you understand ?! ) that type of IO ?

Many wives keep their maiden name. Its non issue.

Lastly , should I apply for new I-94 since the last one expired or the Receipt letter for the I-485 ,I-765 will suffice instead of that ?

Thank you so much  

I dont understand what you are saying. You don't apply for an I94 and it cannot be renewed. It is simply your Admission Record into the US that expires at Day 90 for K1s. 

The I485, I765, I131 will suffice for what? What do you need an unexpired I94 for?

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 12:39 PM, K1visaHopeful said:

Hi Sorry I was really busy .. 

My question is .. Since the SSN is Valid with DHS Authorization which is the  ( I-94 ) … .. I-94 expired .. since its expired ..whats the current valid  DHS authorization then ? is it the receipt of the I765 have been received ? 

What the DHS authorization that validate the SSN , while the I-765 in process and the I-94 expired ?.. I am interested to know .. Thank you . 

35 minutes ago, johnnyI129F said:

Hi Sorry I was really busy .. 

My question is .. Since the SSN is Valid with DHS Authorization which is the  ( I-94 ) … .. I-94 expired .. since its expired ..whats the current valid  DHS authorization then ? is it the receipt of the I765 have been received ? 

What the DHS authorization that validate the SSN , while the I-765 in process and the I-94 expired ?.. I am interested to know .. Thank you . 

The SSN is valid for employment with the actual approved EAD card. That's all that that statement on the card means. It does not refer to the I94 validity.

There WAS (past tense) something called a temporary EAD available for K1 Visa Holders (filed under category A6 that would expire at Day 90) which is the reason why K1s are allowed to apply for SSNs...even though the A6 Temporary EAD is now rarely issued due to long EAD processing times.

Edited by K1visaHopeful

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.