stech786

Where to update i130 after US citizenship

6 posts in this topic

I was green card holder when I filed for my wife petition i130. I want to know, after I become US citizen where do I send that letter to update i130 from F2A category to US priority list. Does it goto where I filed the petition or does it goto where I received the receipt notice of i130?

Do I also need to make a phone to USCIS call center to update there in their system too? How long after I send this update, will my wife get visa?

thanks in advance

Notify whoever currently has the I-130. If it's still being processed, then notify the service center (presumably CSC?).

Normal timelines for a CR-1/IR-1 visa is ~12-16 months. I don't know where you are "in line" waiting for adjudication of the I-130. The I-130 for a USC is normally ~7-10 months of the total timeframe.

Are there any children that will be immigrating at the same time? Once you upgrade the petition, any immigrating children need their own I-130.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

On 4/13/2019 at 8:53 PM, geowrian said:

Notify whoever currently has the I-130. If it's still being processed, then notify the service center (presumably CSC?).

Normal timelines for a CR-1/IR-1 visa is ~12-16 months. I don't know where you are "in line" waiting for adjudication of the I-130. The I-130 for a USC is normally ~7-10 months of the total timeframe.

Are there any children that will be immigrating at the same time? Once you upgrade the petition, any immigrating children need their own I-130.

Yes, it’s at CSC. Not approved yet, that because visa not available yet as I’m a greencard holder

where does it says, they I should update whoever has my case? and not where I originally filed (chicago address)

no kids involve.

I’m not interested in CR-1/IR-1 visa status as it has 1.5 yrs wait & once I become USC it won’t matter.

since, I already filed I-130, after USC, will the process timeline still be 7 months or less? 

Thanks!

Edited by stech786

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline
3 hours ago, stech786 said:

Yes, it’s at CSC. Not approved yet, that because visa not available yet as I’m a greencard holder

where does it says, they I should update whoever has my case? and not where I originally filed (chicago address)

no kids involve.

I’m not interested in CR-1/IR-1 visa status as it has 1.5 yrs wait & once I become USC it won’t matter.

since, I already filed I-130, after USC, will the process timeline still be 7 months or less? 

Thanks!

CR1/IR1 is the only route (i think) you (USC) can use to have your wife (fiances use K1) come over. The form that is used even for CR1/IR1 is I-130, just as for F2A. 

the processing of I-130 is independent of whether it is for F2A or IR1/CR1. The difference is once I-130 is approved the routes for F2A and IR1/Cr1 is different

6 hours ago, stech786 said:

That's incorrect. The I-130 is processed even if the PD is not yet current. If it is approved before the PD is current, it is sent to NVC and sits there waiting for the PD to become current. But USCIS will process I-130 petitions without a current PD...and regularly do so.

Part of the issue may be that USCIS prioritizes I-130 petitions by category. So normally a CR/IR petition is processed faster than F2A, which is processed faster than F1/F3/F4 category petitions. So once you upgrade from F2A to CR-1/IR-1, they should aim for around 7-10 months just like any other citizen.

You would notify whoever has your case - CSC. You can send a letter to the lockbox, but that's hoping they route it correctly when you can just send it where it needs to go.

Call USCIS first. They will direct you where to notify them.

no kids involve.

Cool. No issue with derivatives then.

No idea what you mean re: CR-1/IR-1 visa status. That's the only visa you are eligible to petition for as a US citizen spouse, and what the petition will be upgraded to.

Once upgraded, the petition will await adjudication by USCIS. For a USC, this typically takes around 7-10 months or so. Your existing petition should not lose your place in line, but there may be some overhead as well.

Once the I-130 is approved, expect a few weeks for it to get to NVC.

Then expect a couple months for NVC processing (http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process).

Then expect ~1-3 months - on average - to get an interview appointment at the consulate.

All these steps apply to USCs as well as LPRs. The difference is as a USC, there's no sitting and waiting for the PD to become current.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/16/2019 at 8:00 AM, geowrian said:

That's incorrect. The I-130 is processed even if the PD is not yet current. If it is approved before the PD is current, it is sent to NVC and sits there waiting for the PD to become current. But USCIS will process I-130 petitions without a current PD...and regularly do so.

Part of the issue may be that USCIS prioritizes I-130 petitions by category. So normally a CR/IR petition is processed faster than F2A, which is processed faster than F1/F3/F4 category petitions. So once you upgrade from F2A to CR-1/IR-1, they should aim for around 7-10 months just like any other citizen.

You would notify whoever has your case - CSC. You can send a letter to the lockbox, but that's hoping they route it correctly when you can just send it where it needs to go.

Call USCIS first. They will direct you where to notify them.

Cool. No issue with derivatives then.

No idea what you mean re: CR-1/IR-1 visa status. That's the only visa you are eligible to petition for as a US citizen spouse, and what the petition will be upgraded to.

Once upgraded, the petition will await adjudication by USCIS. For a USC, this typically takes around 7-10 months or so. Your existing petition should not lose your place in line, but there may be some overhead as well.

Once the I-130 is approved, expect a few weeks for it to get to NVC.

Then expect a couple months for NVC processing (http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process).

Then expect ~1-3 months - on average - to get an interview appointment at the consulate.

All these steps apply to USCs as well as LPRs. The difference is as a USC, there's no sitting and waiting for the PD to become current.

ignore my comment on CR-1/IR-1. I misread this somewhere online.

Since I applied while I was greencard holder. (1.5 yrs ago). Do I still wait 7-10 months for adjudication . Does my time count towards this new upgrade process?

Its been 30 days since I sent the letter to CSC to upgrade my application. No response. Should I call USCIS. I never got the i-130 approval letter. Just that first receipt notice 1.5 yrs ago. 

does my i-130 needs to be approved first before it goes US priority list

Thanks everyone

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.