Tagger

Mercedes Benz will not issue compliance letter!!!

6 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I have a 2015 Merc. C300 that I am looking to import into the US. Based on this thread - I reached out to MB to get a compliance letter. They responded to my email stating that the car does not comply with #101 - Instrument Cluster and #138 - TPMS of FMVVS. Following the email, my ask of them was to issue a letter stating that the car does not comply with the above regulations, in the hope that I can get an aftermarket kit installed as outlined in the thread below. 

The response from Merc. Benz was that they do not issue a compliance letter for cars that do not have TPMS installed!! Has anyone faced a similar issue? Do you think a print out of the email I have from Merc. Benz product compliance along with a letter from an authorized dealer will be sufficient? 

Really looking for some help from this forum!! 

I  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I have some experience in this, imported and exported many cars to and from the United States. Mercedes, Subaru, and many other manufacturers are not going to issue a compliance letter. I have imported many models, and unless you have a really good reason to keep the car, sell it before you leave. I can guarantee for what it will cost you will be losing money. Any modifications to the vehicle to get it to pass inspection and qualify for import to the United States has to be done by a registered importer, you cannot just buy the parts you need and install them yourself. The registered importer also has to issue a Bond on the vehicle. Those are just a few of the more expensive things that need to be done to import a vehicle. You are welcome to reaserch it to get more accurate costs, but it is not cheap. Getting cars into the US is not too cut and paste. There are ways to skirt the system to an extent by removing the engine and importing as a parts vehicle, but then you run into inspection problems when you try to put the vehicle back on the road. Usually it will only need to be inspected in the state you are going to register it, and a state inspection is easier than the federal, but still not fun, and some states will let just about anything on the road, some are worse than the federal inspection ( Pennsylvania is one)

Exporting is much easier as most countries other than the US you can grease some palms and get just about anything in, but it is still a money issue.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I had no issue with BMW.  Confirmed by phone with BMW North America that my vehicle is compliant and there are no outstanding recalls.  They “registered” my vehicle so it appears under BMW U.S. for warranty purposes instead of BME Canada (even though it is no longer under warranty) and told me to contact them 2 - 3 weeks before I’m ready to register car in US so they can issue currently dated compliance letter in case there is a recall between when I called and when I’m doing transfer.  

• 4 years later...

Hello

What have people done in the instances where Mercedes won't issue the compliance letter? They tell me the relevant detail through email but won't put on letterhead, and DMV rejected the app due to lack of letter (they didn't accept email printout). My friend was able to receive a letter from Subaru and didn't have issues. Shocked Mercedes is so horribly uncooperative and treats their customers this way. 

• 10 months later...
On 5/10/2023 at 8:01 PM, Natalia8787 said:

Hello

What have people done in the instances where Mercedes won't issue the compliance letter? They tell me the relevant detail through email but won't put on letterhead, and DMV rejected the app due to lack of letter (they didn't accept email printout). My friend was able to receive a letter from Subaru and didn't have issues. Shocked Mercedes is so horribly uncooperative and treats their customers this way. 

Yes I meet the same problem this week for my GLC300, the TPMS problems resulting product_compliance@mercedes-benz.ca rejects to provide compliance letter to me and their online link https://www.mercedes-benz.ca/en/compliance-letter is definitely a fake trap aiming to cheat their customers, you can never submitting your requesiting form online through their portal as the system is always shows error occurs the final submitting step.

Even if you email their product_compliance@mercedes-benz.ca goup, they find thousands of way to refuse provide a compliance letter, they will kick you back and forth with same message until you are dessperated.

I am curious whether your problems gets solved, I have researched for weeks for the same problem and gets most useful information here as you listed, but currently I have no idea how to get this "non-compliant" letter

On 4/9/2019 at 6:34 PM, Tagger said:

Hi everyone,

I have a 2015 Merc. C300 that I am looking to import into the US. Based on this thread - I reached out to MB to get a compliance letter. They responded to my email stating that the car does not comply with #101 - Instrument Cluster and #138 - TPMS of FMVVS. Following the email, my ask of them was to issue a letter stating that the car does not comply with the above regulations, in the hope that I can get an aftermarket kit installed as outlined in the thread below. 

The response from Merc. Benz was that they do not issue a compliance letter for cars that do not have TPMS installed!! Has anyone faced a similar issue? Do you think a print out of the email I have from Merc. Benz product compliance along with a letter from an authorized dealer will be sufficient? 

Really looking for some help from this forum!! 

I  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.