Jump to content

Mercedes Benz will not issue compliance letter!!!

2 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone,


I have a 2015 Merc. C300 that I am looking to import into the US. Based on this thread - I reached out to MB to get a compliance letter. They responded to my email stating that the car does not comply with #101 - Instrument Cluster and #138 - TPMS of FMVVS. Following the email, my ask of them was to issue a letter stating that the car does not comply with the above regulations, in the hope that I can get an aftermarket kit installed as outlined in the thread below. 


The response from Merc. Benz was that they do not issue a compliance letter for cars that do not have TPMS installed!! Has anyone faced a similar issue? Do you think a print out of the email I have from Merc. Benz product compliance along with a letter from an authorized dealer will be sufficient? 


Really looking for some help from this forum!! 


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have some experience in this, imported and exported many cars to and from the United States. Mercedes, Subaru, and many other manufacturers are not going to issue a compliance letter. I have imported many models, and unless you have a really good reason to keep the car, sell it before you leave. I can guarantee for what it will cost you will be losing money. Any modifications to the vehicle to get it to pass inspection and qualify for import to the United States has to be done by a registered importer, you cannot just buy the parts you need and install them yourself. The registered importer also has to issue a Bond on the vehicle. Those are just a few of the more expensive things that need to be done to import a vehicle. You are welcome to reaserch it to get more accurate costs, but it is not cheap. Getting cars into the US is not too cut and paste. There are ways to skirt the system to an extent by removing the engine and importing as a parts vehicle, but then you run into inspection problems when you try to put the vehicle back on the road. Usually it will only need to be inspected in the state you are going to register it, and a state inspection is easier than the federal, but still not fun, and some states will let just about anything on the road, some are worse than the federal inspection ( Pennsylvania is one)


Exporting is much easier as most countries other than the US you can grease some palms and get just about anything in, but it is still a money issue.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.