bnation_86

Minor child path to citizenship

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Hello please, I'm the U.S and My minor son at age 2 was born out the united states, he has joined us with I i551 visa and I'm been told to apply for a green card for my son before I could apply for a U.S citizenship for him... Please, can I use the I-551 stamp to apply for the U.S citizenship application and skip applying for the Green Card? Please help thanks. 

An I-551 is a green card so he already has a green card. Were you a USC before he was born? 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

You do not need to pay the $220 immigrant fee for the plastic I-551 green card.  Your child's endorsed visa is an I-551 green card.  You can use that to file for the N-600 or US passport as proof of US citizenship for your child.

https://www.lawhelpmn.org/self-help-library/fact-sheet/naturalized-us-citizens-proving-your-childs-citizenship

Timeline
4 hours ago, JFH said:

An I-551 is a green card so he already has a green card. Were you a USC before he was born? 

No, he was born before I became a US citizen. He is currently with me I the United States and people are telling me to Apply for a passport for him and it will serve as proof of citizenship and I don't want to pay for green card before I apply for Us citizenship for him... Advice me, please 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Your son has acquired (derived) citizenship through you naturalizing as a US citizen. Apply for US passport for him as proof of his citizenship. Skip any greencard fees and apply directly for a US passport.

Following the instructions here on how to apply for US Passport for Children Under 16.

A. 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/apply-renew-passport/under-16.html

B.

In No 2. of the instructions above follow this link to proof citizenship of your child

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/requirements/citizenship-evidence.html

Specifically this section->

U.S. Citizenship through Naturalization of a Parent

"If you were born outside the United States and acquired U.S. citizenship through the naturalization of your parent(s), please submit the following with your passport application:

• Your foreign birth certificate listing your parent(s)
  • Your parent(s)’ naturalization certificate
  • Evidence of your permanent residence status. Examples include:
    • Permanent Resident Card/Green Card
    • Foreign passport with the original I-551 visa entry stamp
  • Your parents' marriage certificate (if your parents were married when you legally entered the U.S. and before your 18th birthday) 
  • Documentation of legal custody (if your parents were not married when you legally entered the U.S.)
  • Evidence of your legitimation (if your parents were not married at the time of your birth). Examples include:
    • Your parents' marriage certificate dated after your birth
    • Certified court order of legitimation "

C.

Continue from No. 3 of the Instructions in A.above. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/apply-renew-passport/under-16.html

Timeline
7 hours ago, JFH said:

No I was legal resident 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.