Jump to content

Minor child path to citizenship

8 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello please, I'm the U.S and My minor son at age 2 was born out the united states, he has joined us with I i551 visa and I'm been told to apply for a green card for my son before I could apply for a U.S citizenship for him... Please, can I use the I-551 stamp to apply for the U.S citizenship application and skip applying for the Green Card? Please help thanks. 

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

You do not need to pay the $220 immigrant fee for the plastic I-551 green card.  Your child's endorsed visa is an I-551 green card.  You can use that to file for the N-600 or US passport as proof of US citizenship for your child.



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JFH said:

An I-551 is a green card so he already has a green card. Were you a USC before he was born? 

No, he was born before I became a US citizen. He is currently with me I the United States and people are telling me to Apply for a passport for him and it will serve as proof of citizenship and I don't want to pay for green card before I apply for Us citizenship for him... Advice me, please 

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Your son has acquired (derived) citizenship through you naturalizing as a US citizen. Apply for US passport for him as proof of his citizenship. Skip any greencard fees and apply directly for a US passport.


Following the instructions here on how to apply for US Passport for Children Under 16.






In No 2. of the instructions above follow this link to proof citizenship of your child



Specifically this section->

U.S. Citizenship through Naturalization of a Parent

"If you were born outside the United States and acquired U.S. citizenship through the naturalization of your parent(s), please submit the following with your passport application:

  • Your foreign birth certificate listing your parent(s)
  • Your parent(s)’ naturalization certificate
  • Evidence of your permanent residence status. Examples include:
    • Permanent Resident Card/Green Card
    • Foreign passport with the original I-551 visa entry stamp
  • Your parents' marriage certificate (if your parents were married when you legally entered the U.S. and before your 18th birthday) 
  • Documentation of legal custody (if your parents were not married when you legally entered the U.S.)
  • Evidence of your legitimation (if your parents were not married at the time of your birth). Examples include:
    • Your parents' marriage certificate dated after your birth
    • Certified court order of legitimation "


Continue from No. 3 of the Instructions in A.above. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/apply-renew-passport/under-16.html

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.