dfsdf

Adding my (immigrant) income to household

3 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am the immigrant but I was wondering if I could add my own income to the household income in part 5 of the I-864? Now that I have worked for a year in the USA while waiting for my interview I made enough in 2018 to be over the poverty guidelines. So would my husband be allowed to be my only sponsor even though our entire household income is mine? (he is a student)

Just curious, I already have joint sponsors who make enough. I was just getting everyone to fill out a new I-864 with updated info for my interview since it's been over a year and a half and I saw I made enough on this years taxes to be over the poverty level for 2 people.  

40 minutes ago, dfsdf said:

Hello,

I am the immigrant but I was wondering if I could add my own income to the household income in part 5 of the I-864? Now that I have worked for a year in the USA while waiting for my interview I made enough in 2018 to be over the poverty guidelines. So would my husband be allowed to be my only sponsor even though our entire household income is mine? (he is a student)

Just curious, I already have joint sponsors who make enough. I was just getting everyone to fill out a new I-864 with updated info for my interview since it's been over a year and a half and I saw I made enough on this years taxes to be over the poverty level for 2 people.  

Yes but it would not be Part 5 of your sponsor's I864. It will be Part 6.

Your Sponsor's income would go in Question 7, your info in 8 and 9 and your income in Question 10.

You should be able to BUT because your sponsor has no income at all, it might be wise to prepare a new I864 with a joint sponsor as well and bring it just in case.

Edited by K1visaHopeful

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
13 hours ago, dfsdf said:

Hello,

Since you have 2018 taxes (married filing jointly, right?) for the household that cover the 125%, you'll be fine to use your income. You'll have to show that your income was legal (copy of your EAD/status) and that it will continue after you become a permanent resident (letter from your employer stating so). 

Editing, reread your post. So what happened is, you submitted an I-864 with a joint sponsor, and are looking to submit a new I-864 without the sponsors? 

If so, yes, fill out a new I-864 with your combined household income. At the interview, ask if you can withdraw the original I-864 and submit an updated I-864 due to changes in financial circumstances. The IO may refuse or accept. 

Otherwise, if your joint sponsor and your spouse had no change in financials, you don't really need an updated I-864 for them--but it's never a bad idea to be fully prepared, especially since so much time had passed. 

Edited by eckoin

2015-11-23: Last TN received at CBP

2017-06-12: Married

2018-06-25: Mailed I-485, I-864, I-130/I-130A, and I-765 to USCIS

2018-07-24: Biometrics appointment

2018-08-28: Expedite request submitted for EAD via USCIS support line

2018-09-21: EAD and SSN received in the mail

2018-10-31: Interview is scheduled

2018-11-21: Last TN expired

2018-12-11: AOS Interview - Card is being produced

2018-12-18: Green Card received

------------------

2020-09-23: Mailed I-751 to USCIS

2020-10-03: 18-month extension NOA 

2020-10-15: Biometrics from AOS applied to ROC

2020-12-11: Conditional green card expired 

2021-05-17: Card is being produced

2021-05-24: Green Card received

------------------

2021-09-14: Online application for N-400

2022-05-04: Interview is scheduled

2022-06-13: N-400 Interview

2022-06-13: Immediate oath & naturalization certificate!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.