linh.ng2310

N-600 - Documents and Requirements Help

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I was recently naturalized and is in the process of filling out N-600 for my daughter (2.5 years old), who gets derived citizenship from me. There are a few things regarding the documents and requirements on the form that I'm not so sure about. Hopefully some of you that have already done this would be able to help. Here are my questions:

- My daughter birth certificate: She has an International Birth Certificate (English available on this certificate with other languages such as French, Spanish...as well). I requested this version when we were in Germany (all info are extracted from her original German BC). Can I submit this version? Or USCIS would want the German BC with certified and notarized translation?

- My birth certificate: I have a Vietnamese BC certified copy that was translated in Vietnam couple of years ago. Do you know if USCIS could accept this, or it has to be translated from someone in America?

- On N-600 instruction paper where it say What Evidence You Must Submit:

Item 11 - Proof of Required Residence or Physical Presence.  Any document that proves the U.S citizen parent’s residence or physical presence in the United States. This proof may include, but is not limited to the following: 

1. School, employment, or military records;

2. Deeds, mortgages, or leases showing residence;

3. Attestations by churches, unions, or other organizations;

4. U.S. Social Security quarterly reports; and

5. Affidavits of third parties having knowledge of the residence and physical presence.

As far as I understand, this portion applies to me (which is the applicant's US Citizen Parent). Does this mean USCIS just want to know if U.S Citizen Parent is currently residing in the US? Is there a time frame or total amount of time for these documents( I.E evidence for 1,2 years). Is it sufficient if I just submit my most 4 recent paystubs so they know I am living and working in America? However, when I asked one of my acquaintance  attorney, she said this part doesn't applied to me since it is related to  Part 6. Physical Presence in the United States From Birth Until Filing of Form N-600 on the actual form. I kept reading over and over the instruction and I have a feeling the attorney I asked maybe is saying the wrong thing, but also she has done so many cases and she must know what she's doing.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and help. Maybe this will help someone later as well.

Timeline

She's living in America with me and she was admitted as NA-3 baby and became LPR the date she arrived in the US in 03/2017

Timeline
11 minutes ago, H&T said:

where're the baby right now?

She's living in America with me and she was admitted as NA-3 baby and became LPR the date she arrived in the US in 03/2017

Timeline
Just now, H&T said:

Then she dont need N600. You can apply US passport for your daughter. It more cheap and easy than N600.

I am aware of this. I just want to get it over with now for my daughter so we don't have to worry about it later on. Plus the fee already double since 2016, who knows how much it would increase to 2 years from now. 

Timeline
6 hours ago, H&T said:

100% members will advise you to get passport for the baby. However, the choice is your.

I've read through many posts regarding this topic and there are always ppl who oppose/support getting N-600. I personally want to play on the safe side and get it for my child. Thank you for your advice though. Do you have any ideas/answers on those questions from my original post?

Edited by linh.ng2310

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I applied for BOTH passport and n600 concurrently. I understand your desire to get the certificate even though 99% of this forum will tell you to just save the money. My logic was that I wanted something concrete and without an expiry date showing proof of his citizenship in case he ever wanted to sponsor a future fiance to immigrate to the USA or something else that might get complicated if your only proof is a passport.

I applied the same date for both, but I got the passport first, then the certificate a couple months after. My son was 9 at the time (3 years ago) and we did not have to attend an interview.

When I applied, I provided proof of my son's (the child's) physical presence, as well as your physical residence. If in doubt, submit proof for BOTH yourself and your child - it can't hurt to provide both. I submitted school records, daycare records, medical records to prove this. 

From the Immigration and Nationality Act - https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/travel-legal-considerations/us-citizenship/Child-Citizenship-2000-Sections-320-322-INA.html

A child born outside of the United States automatically becomes a citizen of the United States when all of the following conditions have been fulfilled:

• At least one of the child’s parents is a U.S. citizen by birth or naturalization;
  • The child is under 18 years of age;
  • The child is residing in or has resided in the United States in the legal and physical custody of the U.S. citizen parent pursuant to a lawful admission for permanent residence.

Bullet point 3 above shows the requirement that the CHILD resides in the US, so I took that to mean that I needed to provide proof of the child's residence in USA with me. 

CR1 / CR2 Visa:

(Day 1) 12/16/11: I-130 Application sent

(Day 283) 09/24/12: Interview at US Consulate – Approved!

(Day 287) 09/28/12: Visa Received & Immediately entered US using Visa

(Day 290) 10/01/12: Social Security Card sent automatically

Removal of Conditions CR1 / CR2
(Day 1) 07/28/14: Application sent.
(Day 135) 12/10/14: ROC Approved!
(Day 143) 12/18/14: 10 year GC received (IR1 / IR2)

Naturalization:
(Day 1) 06/30/15: Application sent.
(Day 210) 01/26/16: Interview and Oath Ceremony. DONE!

***Son and I became US Citizens 01/26/16***

(Day 1) 01/27/16: Applied for my U.S. Passport
(Day 14) 02/10/16: Passport Book & Cert of Naturalization received

(Day 1) 03/16/16: Applied for U.S. Passport for son

(Day 22) 04/07/16: Passport book and original docs received...(Card rec'd 04/16/16)

N-600 for child age 9
(Day 1) 01/27/16: Application sent

(Day 12) 02/08/16: NOA received

(Day 23) 02/19/16: Case received at local office

(Day 88) 04/23/16: In line for oath scheduling *Called USCIS to inquire about why there is an oath required for a child under 14. They sent a service request to the field office.

(Day 95) 04/30/16: Received letter from field office to say no oath necessary and that they would mail the certificate.
(Day 106) 05/11/16: Cert of Citizenship received by registered mail (they never sent tracking. case status was never updated either)

Timeline
8 hours ago, lilsweetie said:

I applied for BOTH passport and n600 concurrently. I understand your desire to get the certificate even though 99% of this forum will tell you to just save the money. My logic was that I wanted something concrete and without an expiry date showing proof of his citizenship in case he ever wanted to sponsor a future fiance to immigrate to the USA or something else that might get complicated if your only proof is a passport.

I applied the same date for both, but I got the passport first, then the certificate a couple months after. My son was 9 at the time (3 years ago) and we did not have to attend an interview.

When I applied, I provided proof of my son's (the child's) physical presence, as well as your physical residence. If in doubt, submit proof for BOTH yourself and your child - it can't hurt to provide both. I submitted school records, daycare records, medical records to prove this. 

From the Immigration and Nationality Act - https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/travel-legal-considerations/us-citizenship/Child-Citizenship-2000-Sections-320-322-INA.html

A child born outside of the United States automatically becomes a citizen of the United States when all of the following conditions have been fulfilled:

• At least one of the child’s parents is a U.S. citizen by birth or naturalization;
  • The child is under 18 years of age;
  • The child is residing in or has resided in the United States in the legal and physical custody of the U.S. citizen parent pursuant to a lawful admission for permanent residence.

Bullet point 3 above shows the requirement that the CHILD resides in the US, so I took that to mean that I needed to provide proof of the child's residence in USA with me. 

I've contacted the my daughter's daycares and ask them to provide some records, I also get her medical record from the doctor. As you you/ourselves, what did you submit? Would tax, bank statement and lease be sufficient enough. My lease doesn't have my daughter's name on there though so I wasn't sure if it's ok. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.