w¡n9Nµ7 §£@¥€r

31% of American adults believe the Bible is Literal Word of God - Belief strongest among those without college degrees

220 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
It all comes down to faith. If you believe then you don't need a scientific explanation. For those that have faith and believes in the ultimate power of God then it's easy to believe that God can make anything possible. If someone needs to place a human explanation of a miracle then the faith just isn't there and nothing will convince that person. It's all up to each person to decide what they believe.

You do, though. If you believed you could fly and attempted to jump off a building, you would fall to your death. There is no such thing as a 'miracle'.

God fails to save idiot in lion enclosure

A man in Ukraine set out to prove that the Lord would protect him when he clambered

into the lion enclosure at a Kiev zoo Sunday, The St Petersburg Times reports.

An official at the zoo said: "The man shouted 'God will save me, if he exists', lowered

himself by a rope into the enclosure, took his shoes off and went up to the lions."

The man got his answer when an affronted lioness grabbed him by the throat and killed

him in front of horrified visitors. The official helpfully explained: "A lioness went straight

for him, knocked him down and severed his carotid artery."

:whistle:

God helps those that help themselves, eh? :whistle: x2

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I've ever asked of my Marines is for them to obey my orders as they would the word of God.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline
God can make anything possible.

Then why Noah? Why an ark?

I don't understand how those questions relate to what Gary posted. There are a lot of "why" questions in life.

Why oatmeal for breakfast?

How could we answer why Noah and why an ark, since we didn't decide those things ourselves. The only answers I could give are the reasons given in the bible, that Noah was considered righteous by God so he was asked to do this. And an ark to be able to hold everything he was supposed to bring with him.

If you don't believe in that story, then you won't agree with my answers, so then what's the point of asking it?

I suppose I am attempting to look into the mind of God, if you will. If, with Him, everything is possible, then why did He chose this man and this answer to ridding the Earth of sinful people (if I remember correctly)? Were Noah and his family the only 'pure' people left? No babies? Could He have created a flood that would still have saved them and the animals without the need for an ark?

I ask because I'm curious how other people have worked these things out. These things gnaw at me, but it seems that there are other people who have found a way over the obstacles. I'm honestly curious how you did that.

Gotta leave the office for a while, so apologies if I don't respond to your responses.

Sometimes it's hard to tell here whether people are asking questions in a mocking way or in a truly curious way, so I am sorry if I misjudged your questions, but I am glad you are just really curious about why or how I(and others here) could believe such things.

I really don't have all the answers to your questions though.

I have doubted or questioned things in my beliefs before, many times, but every time I find the same answer for myself: that I believe it's true.

______

One more thing I wanted to say which is in reply to Pedroh's post about Revelation and all the crazy beasts that are described...

When it is said that these people take the Bible literal, does that mean that they literally think it's God words written through man, and that it's all true? Or does it mean more specifically that they believe that in Revelations, like what Pedroh mentioned, every thing described is exactly the way it will be? There is a difference there.

Because I do have a conflict. Revelation to me is like a science fiction book, the way things are described. But yes I do believe it is truly telling the events that will happen in the end times. But whether something described as a creature flying around is really a helicopter that John saw and had no other way to describe it, because there was nothing like it in existence yet, is a whole different issue.

I think I can believe the bible is literal and yet also believe that the flying monsters he described could be aircraft or helicopters that he had no other way to describe in those days. Some of the book does seem literal, some seems symbolic. Either way, all I care about is sticking to my beliefs and then however the end days come, they will come.

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Everybody read this. It's awesome!

Me -.us Her -.ma

------------------------

I-129F NOA1: 8 Dec 2003

Interview Date: 13 July 2004 Approved!

US Arrival: 04 Oct 2004 We're here!

Wedding: 15 November 2004, Maui

AOS & EAD Sent: 23 Dec 2004

AOS approved!: 12 July 2005

Residency card received!: 4 Aug 2005

I-751 NOA1 dated 02 May 2007

I-751 biometrics appt. 29 May 2007

10 year green card received! 11 June 2007

Our son Michael is born!: 18 Aug 2007

Apply for US Citizenship: 14 July 2008

N-400 NOA1: 15 July 2008

Check cashed: 17 July 2008

Our son Michael is one year old!: 18 Aug 2008

N-400 biometrics: 19 Aug 2008

N-400 interview: 18 Nov 2008 Passed!

Our daughter Emmy is born!: 23 Dec 2008

Oath ceremony: 29 Jan 2009 Complete! Woo-hoo no more USCIS!

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I don't understand how those questions relate to what Gary posted. There are a lot of "why" questions in life.

How could we answer why Noah and why an ark, since we didn't decide those things ourselves. The only answers I could give are the reasons given in the bible, that Noah was considered righteous by God so he was asked to do this. And an ark to be able to hold everything he was supposed to bring with him.

If you don't believe in that story, then you won't agree with my answers, so then what's the point of asking it?

I suppose I am attempting to look into the mind of God, if you will. If, with Him, everything is possible, then why did He chose this man and this answer to ridding the Earth of sinful people (if I remember correctly)? Were Noah and his family the only 'pure' people left? No babies? Could He have created a flood that would still have saved them and the animals without the need for an ark?

I ask because I'm curious how other people have worked these things out. These things gnaw at me, but it seems that there are other people who have found a way over the obstacles. I'm honestly curious how you did that.

Gotta leave the office for a while, so apologies if I don't respond to your responses.

Sometimes it's hard to tell here whether people are asking questions in a mocking way or in a truly curious way, so I am sorry if I misjudged your questions, but I am glad you are just really curious about why or how I(and others here) could believe such things.

I have doubted or questioned things in my beliefs before, many times, but every time I find the same answer for myself: that I believe it's true.

______

One more thing I wanted to say which is in reply to Pedroh's post about Revelation and all the crazy beasts that are described...

When it is said that these people take the Bible literal, does that mean that they literally think it's God words written through man, and that it's all true? Or does it mean more specifically that they believe that in Revelations, like what Pedroh mentioned, every thing described is exactly the way it will be? There is a difference there.

Well it depends on what we're talking about - but yes I think the issue here is people taking the content of the text to be literally true.

To go back to the Noah's Ark story - do you believe that the story is literally true - about 1 man and his family who built a big boat that could carry the majority of the world's animal life?

Edited by erekose

Timeline

______

Well it depends on what we're talking about - but yes I think the issue here is people taking the content of the text to be literally true.

To go back to the Noah's Ark story - do you believe that the story is literally true - about 1 man and his family who built a big boat that could carry the majority of the world's animal life?

Yes

Filed: Timeline

Yes

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No offense.

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Timeline

Yes

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No offense.

No it's not at all offensive when someone laughs at you. (where's the rolling eye smiley when you need it?)

Maybe you should read the article rclouse posted.

Filed: Country: Thailand
Timeline
God fails to save idiot in lion enclosure

A man in Ukraine set out to prove that the Lord would protect him when he clambered

into the lion enclosure at a Kiev zoo Sunday, The St Petersburg Times reports.

An official at the zoo said: "The man shouted 'God will save me, if he exists', lowered

himself by a rope into the enclosure, took his shoes off and went up to the lions."

The man got his answer when an affronted lioness grabbed him by the throat and killed

him in front of horrified visitors. The official helpfully explained: "A lioness went straight

for him, knocked him down and severed his carotid artery."

:whistle:

I've heard that peoepl commiting suicide often take their shoes off first....

Your absence runs through me like a needle

Everything I do

Is stitched with your color

Married in 2005

I-130

2/6 NOA1

5/11 touch

5-10 Approval for both 129F and I-130

129F

2/14 applied

3/01 NOA1

5/1-11 a few touches

5-21 sent to NVC

5-22 129F recieved @ NVC

5-29 forwarded to Embassy

6-12 interview date set (discovered, rather) ... (still no NOA2)

6-22 email notification of NAO2 for I-130

6-27 email notification of NOA2 for 129F

7-15 Medical appointment - Docs say she has pneumonia and want to run 2 months + $2K USD of tests.

7-19 interview

7-20 informed that she has cleared medical. Documents not yet forwarded to Embassy, they will not release them to her, saying they must deliver the documents themselves. (Not true. many people had their medical papers @ the interview)

7-21 Missed flight

7-25 Docs recieved by embassy, visa all ready to go

7-27 Visa revieved

7-28 ARRIVED IN USA!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

waiting for AOS NOA

9-28 5 page RFE sent :(

10-7 RFE recieved

Timeline

______

Yes

Given the way that early history is recorded in the bible I'm less inclined to believe that. There is some archaelogical evidence for large-scale flooding, and flood stories crop up in the mythology of numerous ancient cultures (including the Sumerians - one of, if not the earliest known civilisations in that part of the world). Personally I think that the biblical Noah never existed and that he (like the story) is more likely the amalgamation of several different people and events. At the very least - I don't think its unreasonable to suggest that a degree of exaggeration is at work. Ancient sources were notoriously unreliable for specifics and exaggerated for effect..

Moreover, given the impossibility of building a very large ship out of ancient world materials (wood etc would limit its size) no ancient civilization from that period had any ships that were capable of anything but coastal sailing in relatively shallow waters. Triremes and Galleys etc. were not exactly known for their resistance to adverse weather conditions.

Edited by erekose

Filed: Country: Thailand
Timeline
Well, as far as I'm concerned, if the Bible wasn't written with God's authority and guidance, then there is no God to be pissed about it anyway. As I said above:

If Jesus didn't rise from the dead, then the Bible isn't true.

If the Bible isn't true, then there is no God.

If there is no God, don't pi$$ me off!

So believing in God is the only thing keeping you from a life of crime? :P

To an extent, yes. If there is no God, then there is no source of absolute right and wrong, it's simply whatever you feel is right.

There ARE other ways, you know. Acting good is its own reward. Silly to say, but living life without regrets it a great way to be, God or not. I generally believe that you know in your hear whether something is right or wrong, and your psyche reflects that. Thus, by acting with good intentions and with kindness you live a better, more fulfilling life than if you are a scoundrel.

I also believe that people who refrain from crime simply because of the threat of punishment are going to hell, if there is one, anyway. Course, I strongly believe that there is no hell. My belief in God is a little more, ehhh ephemeral. But Hell certainly has its place right next to Middle Earth in the land of fantasy for me!

Your absence runs through me like a needle

Everything I do

Is stitched with your color

Married in 2005

I-130

2/6 NOA1

5/11 touch

129F

2/14 applied

3/01 NOA1

5/1-11 a few touches

5-21 sent to NVC

5-22 129F recieved @ NVC

5-29 forwarded to Embassy

6-12 interview date set (discovered, rather) ... (still no NOA2)

6-22 email notification of NAO2 for I-130

6-27 email notification of NOA2 for 129F

7-15 Medical appointment - Docs say she has pneumonia and want to run 2 months + $2K USD of tests.

7-19 interview

7-20 informed that she has cleared medical. Documents not yet forwarded to Embassy, they will not release them to her, saying they must deliver the documents themselves. (Not true. many people had their medical papers @ the interview)

7-21 Missed flight

7-25 Docs recieved by embassy, visa all ready to go

7-27 Visa revieved

7-28 ARRIVED IN USA!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

waiting for AOS NOA

9-28 5 page RFE sent :(

10-7 RFE recieved

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
I also believe that people who refrain from crime simply because of the threat of punishment are going to hell, if there is one, anyway.

Interesting idea. It does make sense to me that the rewards should be greater for one who does something of their own accord rather than in hopes of securing a place in heaven or avoiding a place in hell.

someone wrote a book in God's name? He's gonna be pissed.

Well, as far as I'm concerned, if the Bible wasn't written with God's authority and guidance, then there is no God to be pissed about it anyway. As I said above:

God gave us free will. That includes the ability to write an incorrect book in his name. Without free will we would be his puppets.

Ok, so from what I understand, god gave us free will. God, the omnipotent and omniscient being gave us free will. So every decision I make is entirely my own and up to random chance if that's what I let drive it. I could flip a coin and make all my decisions, using heads or tails as my moral compass.

And god, knowing everything as he/she/it does, would have already known the outcome in advance. So my decision was determined long before I used my "free will" to make it so? Or is it that god can't see the decision in advance, making him/her/it not quite as all powerful/all knowing as he/she/it is made out to be.

I know the free will part but you'll have to ask god yourself for the rest.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Timeline

So believing in God is the only thing keeping you from a life of crime? :P

To an extent, yes. If there is no God, then there is no source of absolute right and wrong, it's simply whatever you feel is right.

There ARE other ways, you know. Acting good is its own reward. Silly to say, but living life without regrets it a great way to be, God or not. I generally believe that you know in your hear whether something is right or wrong, and your psyche reflects that. Thus, by acting with good intentions and with kindness you live a better, more fulfilling life than if you are a scoundrel.

I also believe that people who refrain from crime simply because of the threat of punishment are going to hell, if there is one, anyway. Course, I strongly believe that there is no hell. My belief in God is a little more, ehhh ephemeral. But Hell certainly has its place right next to Middle Earth in the land of fantasy for me!

Not that anyone has directly suggested this - but the idea that devoutly religious people would suddenly turn criminal if Christianity were proven a lie seems rather pitiable to me. I mean if someone needs emotional crutches that badly who are we to kick them away? Then again its easy to feel sympathy for disillusioned fundamentalists; only for the fact that many of them have, and would do violence (if they could) to people who question their belief systems.