Klam

Other nationality/passport for DS-260

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
16 hours ago, Zaczon said:

Thats not lying.

Its about avoiding complications with your processing.

If his passport was valid,thats a different story.

This is the kind of mentality that gets people to lie about family, marital status, job, income to try to get visas to the US. It's not "lying" if it's getting you what you want.

tsk tsk...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Finland
Timeline
18 hours ago, Daniela M_______ said:

So, I'm Venezuelan.

You don't stop being a venezuelan jsut because passport is expired.

You have to quit you right to citizenship by birth. And even if so, you will ALWAYS have to declare your place of birth -Venezuela-.

So yes, it's a really bad advice, and FYI being Venezuelan doesn't add any "complications" with the processing.

You have to declare your place of birth - yes, and that in and of itself is an issue in the way that USCIS documents are created...

I am originally from Finland, and have never had any other citizenship prior to getting US citizenship at this time.  Finnish citizenship was by birth to Finnish parents.  However, I was born in Iraq while my parents were in the country decades ago working on a project.  Thus, my place of birth is in Iraq, which should not be an issue per se.  However, since the USCIS documents always listed it simply as "Country of Birth" it did cause some issues occasionally:

• I've had border agents question my citizenship and rather rudely comment that I moved to Finland solely to get a citizenship that was not "tainted" so that I could come here.  Yeah - that was a fun little exchange and one that really showed the ignorance of some agents and their own personal bias.
  • I had the pleasure of having to speak to FBI agents following 9/11, though it was almost a year and a half later.  They came to my place of employment to interview me for about an hour, even though I was in Iraq for a grand total of about 2 months after birth.
  • I've been pulled to secondary screenings at borders solely for having Iraq listed on any documents.  I entered the US at one point over land roughly 2 hours after the initial strikes were announced on the first Gulf war, and was told by the agents that I would need to speak to agents specifically because of where I was born.
  • My N400 was well beyond normal processing times when I went through that, and suspect that the Iraq angle had something to do with that since it was stuck in background checks for the vast majority of the time.

It appears that many people equate "Country of Birth" with "Citizenship at Birth" when it is simply a "Place of Birth" and should be labeled accordingly on documents...  However, what can you do - sometimes it is a matter of sheer luck and/or stupidity...

Interestingly, my mother always pointed out that I should have originally left things be - my first passport and other documents indicated my place of birth as Helsinki, Finland because of the system that is in use in Finland...  Instead of a place of birth, they generally just use the name of the municipality - which can be much larger than a single city.  In almost all cases, the municipality of birth is defined as the municipality of jurisdiction for the child at birth and not the actual location of the birth.  The jurisdiction, on the other hand, is based on the jurisdiction that governs the mother - so the place of birth would be the municipality where the mother is registered as a resident - or where the mother was last registered as a resident in cases of birth outside of the country.

I had to fight hard when I was younger to be able to get my real place of birth on official documents - to the point where the place of birth had to be hand written on to my drivers license originally, since the computer systems could not handle the foreign location...

So - yes, this is a complete aside to the discussion in some ways, but can bring in some humor and enlightenment as to how things can be seen at times...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.