TimsDaisy

Moved threads in the UK forum

133 posts in this topic

the regional forum does make it very difficult to determine if the thread is appropriately assigned. Likewise each regional is used for the most part, differently. reallly, most n00bies do tend to stick up to the "upper" forums until they are used to the format, and thus imho can easily miss much of this very specific information. we have hashed it out how to handle the regionals, and the end result, they are supposed to be for "general discussion" but have become a quite integral part of imformation gathering vs. recipe discussions. its still very subjective.

I suppose the best solution would be to PM a "local" organizer (one that frequents the forum) and see what can be done. It may serve better than having disputes publically about it, drawing attention away from information giving and onto the "fray". :star:

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I see where Daisy is coming from, one posts a UK specific question and it gets moved. I think that is OTT. Comon this is just a forum and am sure we all got better things to do. I put a Medical post here SPECIFIC to UK and it was moved. I really cnt be bothered but I just think it is really annoying because I think some organisers just move stuff cos they got the priviledge to do so. Correct me if am wrong.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I see where Daisy is coming from, one posts a UK specific question and it gets moved. I think that is OTT. Comon this is just a forum and am sure we all got better things to do. I put a Medical post here SPECIFIC to UK and it was moved. I really cnt be bothered but I just think it is really annoying because I think some organisers just move stuff cos they got the priviledge to do so. Correct me if am wrong.

Sometimes a post can be applicable to both forums, maybe more applicable to one than another. Perhaps a topic contains information that could be valuable to people in another forum. This might not be the case with the threads you mention, I can't recall from memory their contents at present, but it is most certainly applicable to others. Regional forums are a little trickier than others, simply because they have no clear definition. Most of the time we have to make a "judgement call" and this will sometimes be wrong in hindsight, I admit it.

My earlier post regarding PMing a UK related Organizer is by far the best answer that I've seen so far. We are not the enemy, it isn't a "them and us" mentality. PM one of us, ask us to look at the thread in question, it can't hurt and is a far better option that the repeated AND unfounded accusations that occur when threads like this are started.

I assure you that we don't just "move threads for the sake of it", that is a comment that holds no merit. Since the "moving guide" was brought into being I don't think anyone can deny that there has been a general improvement with the movement of topics overall.

As I mentioned before, I'm happy to help anyone on here. :star:

Filed: Other Country: England
Timeline

You know, I haven't moved any of the posts from here, and yet I'm wondering why now. Yeah, I love the UK forum too...but the regional forums (as far as I've understood, please correct me if I'm wrong, Ewok) were not meant to be "useful" per say. If they are, then great, but that's not my understanding of why they were created. To my limited knowledge, they were meant to be a sort of Off Topic for specific regions to come and ..."have fun!" just like it says.

It is best, IMO, to keep most of the general knowledge things in those forums. Again, I haven't been moving these threads, but maybe we should get further clarification from Captain. I can see certain things that are ONLY related to London being left here, sure...fine. But anything that could apply to pretty much any embassy should be put in the appropriate place. M.

ETA: and further, I think it's a bit ridiculous to expect whoever *did* move them to stand up and say "OK, I did it, now go ahead and jump all over me, specifically. If they want to do it, then fine...but I don't think you should expect anyone to answer just because you decided to demand one.M.

Edited by MichelleandCraig

ManU2.jpg

10 year green card received

mid March, 2008. Done 'til Naturalization! WOOT! :)

Filed: Timeline
You know, I haven't moved any of the posts from here, and yet I'm wondering why now. Yeah, I love the UK forum too...but the regional forums (as far as I've understood, please correct me if I'm wrong, Ewok) were not meant to be "useful" per say. If they are, then great, but that's not my understanding of why they were created. To my limited knowledge, they were meant to be a sort of Off Topic for specific regions to come and ..."have fun!" just like it says.

It is best, IMO, to keep most of the general knowledge things in those forums. Again, I haven't been moving these threads, but maybe we should get further clarification from Captain. I can see certain things that are ONLY related to London being left here, sure...fine. But anything that could apply to pretty much any embassy should be put in the appropriate place. M.

:thumbs:

Which is why I quoted this:

Regional Discussion

This Forum is dedicated to discussion on the major regions around the world. Topics of discussion may include travel, moving, what to eat and any other experience you may wish to share or inquire about. Have fun!

Edited by devilette

I really cnt be bothered but I just think it is really annoying because I think some organisers just move stuff cos they got the priviledge to do so. Correct me if am wrong.

You can't be bothered to care yet you are bothered enough to complain that organizers get some thrill out of moving posts? :blink:

I can assure you we don't, we do it to keep VJ a more organized place, where info is more easily found.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

There never needed to be any jumping over anything. And I don't think it needs to be us-v-them. Except that all times moving is questioned, there either no response or a REALLY defensive one. perhaps that is because of the poo-storm awhile back over the topic. I really don't care who the organizers are. But once someone is an organizer, make sure it's an open process. I wouldn't have pushed the issue with devilette, except that all the answers were non-responsive and seemed to imply that devilette moved stuff but wouldn't say. Don't make it seem like there is anything to hide! Good grief. So you move posts, big deal. But you could explain it, or refrain from doing so when a forum seems to be chugging happily along, answering member questions, etc.

And for god's sake, don't go changing the whole damn set up. It's been more than biccies and footie threads for awhile here. Cramming it back into a form that it didn't organically remain would be silly. You can quote the description for the forum all day, but it's pretty hard to argue that it is an ACCURATE description for what this forum looks like. Maybe other regional forums do. I don't know. Because I don't go there since I'm more concerned about UK issues.

And as for things that might be better in general knowledge areas - the problem remains when people with NO experience with the London Embassy start answering questions incorrectly. How is that helpful? They aren't doing it maliciously, sure, but people who are here are usually confused, stressed, and seeking answers. Why muddy the waters?

No organizers are mind readers. But a guideline for moving was made so that members have an idea of where to post things and organizers have an idea of when to move them. It seemed that lately, those guidelines were being ignored by whomever.

Edited by TimsDaisy

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-22-07 DHS cashes the I-129F check

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

1-26-07 NOA1 arrives in the post

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-3-07 NOA2!!! Two approval emails received at 11:36am

5-10-07 Arrived at NVC/5-14-07 Left NVC - London-bound!

5-17-07??? London receives?

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

5-26-07 Packet 3 received

5-29-07 Packet 3 returned, few days later than planned due to bank holiday weekend

6-06-07 Medical in London (called to schedule on May 29)

6-11-07 "Medical in file" at Embassy

6-14-07 Resent packet 3 to Embassy after hearing nothing about first try

6-22-07 DOS says "applicant now eligible for interview," ie: they enter p3 into their system

6-25-07 DOS says interview date is August 21

6-28-07 Help from our congressional representative gives us new interview date: July 6

7-06-07 Interview at 9:00 am at the London Embassy - Approved.

7-16-07 Visa delivered after 'security checks' completed

I-129F approved in 111 days; Interview 174 days from filing

Handy numbers:

NVC: (603) 334-0700 - press 1, 5; US State Department: (202) 663-1225 - press 1, 0

*Be afraid or be informed - the choice is yours.*

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

Hey all. I think someone posted the moving guide above. If a topic was moved and you think it may have been an accident just PM me. I am happy to check. Sometimes it was for a good reason and there is always a chance it might have been a mistake. I make many myself as I am human. In any case if you are curious or want to confirm just PM me and I can always check it out. No need for a public debate :-p.

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

No need for a public debate :-p.

Why not??

As a side note now I know why HA gets along with mags. Took me a long time to figure that one out. No wonder people are leaving VJ in droves. I used to find information in this forum useful but now it's a lot of Brit bashing by HA and what have you done about it a big fat NOTHING. You wonder why other people are setting up there own web sites when you treat your own members so shabbily.

Have a nice day

3dflagsdotcom_us_wa_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_ukeng_2fawm.gif

Why not??

As a side note now I know why HA gets along with mags. Took me a long time to figure that one out. No wonder people are leaving VJ in droves. I used to find information in this forum useful but now it's a lot of Brit bashing by HA and what have you done about it a big fat NOTHING. You wonder why other people are setting up there own web sites when you treat your own members so shabbily.

Have a nice day

Oh you do, do you? Would you mind sharing that nugget with the rest of us, since it all took place in private messages?

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Filed: Other Country: England
Timeline

I have no idea what all THAT is about, but it doesn't follow that 1/ supposedly Mags and HA get on very well together and 2/there is a lot of Brit bashing by HA going on (????) and 3/Mags IS a Brit! Hmmmmm. ??? M.

ManU2.jpg

10 year green card received

mid March, 2008. Done 'til Naturalization! WOOT! :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

Why not??

Have a nice day

Thanks for your opinion. Who is HA? I would like to resolve any conflicts on a side note. We are geteting some new mods to watch for things earlier and if you report threads (which I have never seen from you) I will take a look.

Hey guys please no arguing on this. I will look into moving issues and send out the moving guide as a reminder this weekend :).

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

I have no idea what all THAT is about, but it doesn't follow that 1/ supposedly Mags and HA get on very well together and 2/there is a lot of Brit bashing by HA going on (????) and 3/Mags IS a Brit! Hmmmmm. ??? M.

I don't feel that I'm really bashing Brits at all. I'm just sharing my experiences here and being honest about my reasons for wanting to leave the UK. It's not my intention to cause offense, but it does happen sometimes. Obviously I don't have a psychotic hatred of British people, since I'm married to one and all. :rolleyes:

If there's a reason for Mags and I getting along other than the reasons she and I discussed in private, it is news to me.

Thanks for your opinion. Who is HA? I would like to resolve any conflicts on a side note. We are geteting some new mods to watch for things earlier and if you report threads (which I have never seen from you) I will take a look.

Hey guys please no arguing on this. I will look into moving issues and send out the moving guide as a reminder this weekend :).

HA is me.

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

First of all, I have no idea what this has to do with moving threads. Secondly, Homesick and I were mature enough to take our issues to PMs, we didn't continue to air our problems in public and side line topics.

We came to an understanding. I stuck up for her in a thread yesterday because it needed to be said, not through some misguided idea of friendship. I would do the same for anyone here if I thought it needed to be said.