2 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I wanted to share my experience with the AOS interview because I had a pretty positive experience. People tend to post here if they have problems and for that reason, reading through can be scary so I just wanted to drop a positive one too.

My wife and I went to the interview around 10:15, 15 minutes before the scheduled time. Got processed by a nice and welcoming gentleman who asked us to wait in the lobby. We had to wait an hour and a half for the interviewer to call out my name. We responded to her and both of us were excited to finally have our turn.

She walked us to the interview room and we started having a friendly conversation while we were walking to the interview room, just general conversation about our day which my wife initiated (she's a very friendly and talkative person). We got the interview room and she asked us if we wanted to submit any more documentation, which we did. She looked at each of the documents and we continuously explained what each document was (joint bank account, pictures, shared auto insurance etc). We kept talking and joking as well. She asked us the date we got married. I told her the date and also told her (laughingly) that we had  to memorize the date before coming to the interview (which was true) because the wedding itself wasn't a special date for us since we didn't have any family in the US. My wife commented that we celebrate the date I proposed to her as our anniversary instead.

She then walked through a list of questions like have I ever committed a crime, etc. (standard questions). My wife and I did keep interacting and joking throughout.

She then told us that she has to wait for my I-129F file to come through before making a decision - she said that she knows exactly what's in there and doesn't really need the file, but it's a process requirement so we might have to wait a couple weeks before seeing a decision.

That's it. No trick questions, no detailed probing or anything. I think it makes a difference if you look excited and interact naturally with each other. She was so nice and polite and it was a pleasure having a conversation with her. A few times my wife and I would just bring up some random story about a fun thing we did or our dog and it was so nice talking to her that I felt like staying in a little longer and chat with her.

She came with us to show us out to the door and asked us how we feel working at the same place (we'd mentioned somewhere while chatting that we work at the same place). She asked the question with genuine curiosity. I told her that we were a little afraid at first that you know, how would it be being together ALL of the time, but we're on different projects and sit in different parts of the floor but it's great being able to interact during the day and grab lunch together and I wouldn't have it any other way.

We thanked her and left. Still not approved but I'm positive we will be unless there's some documentary requirement that we need to complete.

Just thought I'd share specifically for anyone who's worried about the interview - if your case is genuine you likely won't have many problems :) .. I was worried too because we don't have a joint lease, car's only on her name, I didn't have originals of many documents they had asked to bring, but none of that was a concern.

5 hours ago, S Mehdi said:

She then told us that she has to wait for my I-129F file to come through before making a decision - she said that she knows exactly what's in there and doesn't really need the file, but it's a process requirement so we might have to wait a couple weeks before seeing a decision.

Same thing happened to us.  The interviewer told us that my wife's i-129f was causing a delay which meant we would have to wait for that to be in her hands before approving her status.  She told us it would take 2-3 weeks.  It's been 2 weeks now and we haven't seen or heard of any updates.  Hopefully we do soon.  I hope you do as well :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.