Amber and Shawn

Surname First or Last

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Hello, i'm in need of opinions. Im a Malaysian Chinese and Surname/Last Name/Father's name is typically written first here when filing forms, on my Birth Certificate and Passports its (Surname)(My Name) Example: Lee Chai Hoon ---  Lee=Father'sName, Chai Hoon=Given Name and in the US it's typically given name is writen first followed by surname in the end. So on the Letter of Intent and Declaration of Meeting documents do I write Lee Chai Hoon or go by Chai Hoon Lee? I don't want to cause any confusion so i'm worried of it.

So question:

1. Surname written first or last or it doesn't really matter?

2. If "Chai Hoon" is the given name do I need to sort that as Chai=First Name and Hoon as middle name or can i fit both in first name and leave middle name blank?

3. On social media name is a self given name, Amber do i write that in the "first name" in other names used?

Thanks in advance!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

1.  For your Letter of Intent to Marry, whatever way you want to sign your name is fine.  Just make sure your name is correct on the petition form (ie, surname field has L, given name field has CH).

2.  If CH is the given name, leave middle name blank.

3.  It wouldn't hurt to put your nickname in other names used.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Might be somewhat late to comment but Malaysian here in US. Your first name should be Chai Hoon, last name being Lee. Do not put Hoon as your middle name.

Usually middle name shows as initials in most paperwork. If you had Hoon as a middle name, you would be known as Chai H. Lee, which isn't something you would want to do. 

If in doubt, remember first name should be your given name, last name should be your family name.

If you have a religious name, eg: Julie Wang Xiu Yin, it gets slightly complicated. It can be Xiu Yin J. Lee or Julie X. Lee

Hope that helps. 

Edited by Vega007

My timeline

Concurrent filing of I-130, I-485, and I-765 (USC spouse)

Previous status: F1 (expired 07/05/2019)

Local USCIS office: Des Moines IA

Service center: NBC

03/01/2019: FedEx delivery

03/01/2019: Priority/Received date

03/04/2019: Notice of action (receipts)

03/08/2019: Notice of action (Biometrics appointment)

03/08/2019: I-693 Courtesy letter

03/27/2019: Biometrics

04/02/2019: Ready to be scheduled for an interview

05/14/2018: EAD card produced

09/16/2019: Notice of action (Interview scheduled)

10/22/2019: Interview at Des Moines field office (Approved)

10/22/2019: Card is being produced

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.