Jump to content
nsull527

Questions about AOS Documents

5 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

This forum has been incredibly helpful so I'm back with a few questions.

 

My boyfriend is Irish and here on a J1 visa. We are getting married at the courthouse on Friday, so I am getting started filling out the paperwork now. Some info:

 

- He came to the US on a Irish Graduate Visa (J1) In November and we immediately started living together.

- His Visa does not have a 2 year requirment. 

- His Visa will expire on April 3, followed by a 30 day grace period.

 

My questions are basically wondering if there's any way our AOS could be interpreted as fraud. We 100% did not plan to get married when he first came over here, but now we are. He said in his Visa interview for the J1 when asked if he knew anyone in the US he said no (I don't know why he did this, I think he was nervous). Would that be a red flag?

 

I am beginning to fill out the paperwork from this link: https://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2. The following line is giving me pause:

 

J1 Visa holders will almost always require a waiver and should consult with an immigration lawyer or the USCIS for more information. If you have any doubt, consult an immigration attorney.

 

Is this something I should be worried about, or is this in reference to the 2 year requirement?

 

Thanks so much in advance for any advice. General advice for going through the process is also extremely helpful. Thank you!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nsull527 said:

This forum has been incredibly helpful so I'm back with a few questions.

 

My boyfriend is Irish and here on a J1 visa. We are getting married at the courthouse on Friday, so I am getting started filling out the paperwork now. Some info:

 

- He came to the US on a Irish Graduate Visa (J1) In November and we immediately started living together.

- His Visa does not have a 2 year requirment. 

- His Visa will expire on April 3, followed by a 30 day grace period.

 

My questions are basically wondering if there's any way our AOS could be interpreted as fraud. We 100% did not plan to get married when he first came over here, but now we are.

Assuming that you have ample evidence of the bona fide nature of your marriage, you're totally fine. I moved in with my now-husband the day I got my last TN, even though we weren't dating and I intended to crash at his place while looking for my own. Never left. My TN was also expring when we applied--had about 4.5 months left on it, and it expired before our interview. Never was brought up, though I was also worried that they'll think I was committing fraud by entering on a temporary status and immediately moving in with a US citizen. Total non-issue in the end. 

 

2 hours ago, nsull527 said:

He said in his Visa interview for the J1 when asked if he knew anyone in the US he said no (I don't know why he did this, I think he was nervous). Would that be a red flag?

They don't keep those kinds of records. It's silly, but frankly, it could have potentially cost him his entry if he said yes, my girlfriend. Not great to lie, don't get me wrong, but it will not come up. 

 

2 hours ago, nsull527 said:

I am beginning to fill out the paperwork from this link: https://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2. The following line is giving me pause:

 

J1 Visa holders will almost always require a waiver and should consult with an immigration lawyer or the USCIS for more information. If you have any doubt, consult an immigration attorney.

 

Is this something I should be worried about, or is this in reference to the 2 year requirement?

I believe that's in reference to the 2 year requirement. I think you're able to get a form that says, "there is no 2 year requirement" to make it easier. Do you have that? 

 

2 hours ago, nsull527 said:

Thanks so much in advance for any advice. General advice for going through the process is also extremely helpful. Thank you!

 

 


Adjusting from TN to GC as spouse of USC

2015-11-23: Last TN received at CBP

2017-06-12: Married

2018-06-25: Mailed I-485, I-864, I-130/I-130A, and I-765 to USCIS

2018-07-24: Biometrics appointment

2018-08-28: Expedite request submitted for EAD via USCIS support line

2018-09-21: EAD and SSN received in the mail

2018-10-11: Case is ready to be scheduled for interview

2018-10-31: Interview is scheduled

2018-11-21: TN expired

2018-12-11: AOS Interview - approved 

2018-12-18: Green Card received

------------------

2020-12-11: Conditional green card expires 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They do keep records of what people answer in their visa interviews. 

It has happened to people going through consular processing to be asked why the omission, as it can be seen as a misrepresentation. Not sure or haven’t read anything about that happening in aos interview though. 

 


07/09/2018: ROC packet sent with USPS 2-day priority shipping

07/11/2018: ROC packet delivered to the Vermont Service Center

07/16/2018: NOA1 received by mail with 18 months extension (notice date 7/12 and check cashed)

08/07/2018: Biometrics appointment letter received by mail (notice date 7/27)

08/13/2018: Biometrics appointment at east Hartford, ct

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, p-ana said:

They do keep records of what people answer in their visa interviews. 

It has happened to people going through consular processing to be asked why the omission, as it can be seen as a misrepresentation. Not sure or haven’t read anything about that happening in aos interview though. 

 

OP, sorry, I misread as an entry interview with CBP. They definitely don't write this sort of thing down. 

 

Visa interview I'm not very familiar with. Of course they keep records of your answers, not sure if this is something they'd write down or not. Makes sense if they did, makes sense if they didn't. 

 

Doesn't hurt to have an answer prepared in advance, but I'm 90% positive that's something that will not come up in the AOS interview. The focus is your application forms and your marriage, not really reviewing your previous visa notes. But be prepared anyway.


Adjusting from TN to GC as spouse of USC

2015-11-23: Last TN received at CBP

2017-06-12: Married

2018-06-25: Mailed I-485, I-864, I-130/I-130A, and I-765 to USCIS

2018-07-24: Biometrics appointment

2018-08-28: Expedite request submitted for EAD via USCIS support line

2018-09-21: EAD and SSN received in the mail

2018-10-11: Case is ready to be scheduled for interview

2018-10-31: Interview is scheduled

2018-11-21: TN expired

2018-12-11: AOS Interview - approved 

2018-12-18: Green Card received

------------------

2020-12-11: Conditional green card expires 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@eckoin @p-ana thank you both for your responses. We do have the visa form that explicitly says there is no two year requirement, so that is comforting. As for asking the "do you know anyone in the US" question, it was asked during his j1 visa interview in Belfast. I'll be prepared if they do eventually ask us, but it's good to know that it most likely won't be a problem. A big thank you to you both. I'm sure this wont be my last time on this forum with questions :) You're all so helpful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×