Visitor User

N-400: Last 5 years employment history?

16 posts in this topic

Hello. I just became a PR last week so I would be eligible for USC in 4 years and 9 months. 

I expect to be with my current employer in 4 years and 9 months. With that said, on my I-485 my lawyer and I agreed to list this same employer for the past 5 years of employment history. 

I did AOS and used 245i grandfathered benefit which means I would still be eligible  to get the PR if I ever worked unauthorized in which I did and my lawyer recommended to put YES on that question. I agreed. IO did ask me some random YES/NO questions from my I-485 and I got all answers correct to match my application including if I ever worked unauthorized.

So my question is if I would be still covered under 245i if I decide to file for USC since I have to include my hire date which was before I approved for EAD/PR. Would the IO who looks over my application as well as the IO interview have any concern over my past unauthorized employment?

1 hour ago, Visitor User said:

Hello. I just became a PR last week so I would be eligible for USC in 4 years and 9 months. 

I expect to be with my current employer in 4 years and 9 months. With that said, on my I-485 my lawyer and I agreed to list this same employer for the past 5 years of employment history. 

I did AOS and used 245i grandfathered benefit which means I would still be eligible  to get the PR if I ever worked unauthorized in which I did and my lawyer recommended to put YES on that question. I agreed. IO did ask me some random YES/NO questions from my I-485 and I got all answers correct to match my application including if I ever worked unauthorized.

So my question is if I would be still covered under 245i if I decide to file for USC since I have to include my hire date which was before I approved for EAD/PR. Would the IO who looks over my application as well as the IO interview have any concern over my past unauthorized employment?

Hey are you a permanent resident yes or no.I dont really understand your question. Am grandfather under 245i too and I applied for Adjustment of status because I have a us citizen wife. Am waiting for my green card now. 

An employer can sponsor you and you can adjust your status if you have the 245i. (You must be latino or came here like me illegally because only when you dont have a legal entrance to the us you use the 245i) make sure the principal beneficiary of the 245i meets all the requirements. Did your father file an i130 or labor certification before april 30 of 2001? Was he present in the us before December 21 of 2000. He has to meet both of this for you to be grandfather under 245i

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Mgarcia88 said:

Hey are you a permanent resident yes or no.I dont really understand your question. Am grandfather under 245i too and I applied for Adjustment of status because I have a us citizen wife. Am waiting for my green card now. 

An employer can sponsor you and you can adjust your status if you have the 245i. (You must be latino or came here like me illegally because only when you dont have a legal entrance to the us you use the 245i) make sure the principal beneficiary of the 245i meets all the requirements. Did your father file an i130 or labor certification before april 30 of 2001? Was he present in the us before December 21 of 2000. He has to meet both of this for you to be grandfather under 245i

I became a PR on 2/26/19. I see why you used 245i benefit because you were EWI. I do know that many DACA holders used AP when it was available to cure EWI and gain legal entry.

I am not Latino and I was brought here as a child on B2 Visa which expired so I had legal entry. I did have an employer file ETA-750 on or before 4/30/01 and I had lots of proof of legal presence on the 12/20/00 requirement. 

My USC mother filed I-130 for me. 

Edited by Visitor User

Ok now I understand your case. I dont think you are going to have any problems becoming a usc. Hey us wife applied for me with 245i to adjust status here in the us, we went to the interview on oct 16 2018 and we havent hear any decision yet. How long did it take you to get your greencard? Thnx

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Mgarcia88 said:

Ok now I understand your case. I dont think you are going to have any problems becoming a usc. Hey us wife applied for me with 245i to adjust status here in the us, we went to the interview on oct 16 2018 and we havent hear any decision yet. How long did it take you to get your greencard? Thnx

I am still waiting for someone to answer my specific question.

What FO was your interview? Any RFIE/RFE? My interview was last Monday and I was approved the next morning. I got my approval letter in the mail but not the actual card. It might come in tomorrow. 

Edited by Visitor User

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Mgarcia88 said:

Dude 245i will waive your unauthorize work. I dont think they be looking into that. 

I went to Baltimore MD field office for interview

I am aware of the unauthorized waiver but that was for I-485. 

What about N-400? I did use a lawyer for my Green Card process.

Edited by Visitor User

Unauthorized work prior to having a green card is not an issue at all. It won't be held against you, especially since it was already (and properly! :thumbs: ) disclosed.

On 3/5/2019 at 9:55 PM, Visitor User said:

I just became a PR last week so I would be eligible for USC in 4 years and 9 months. 

1) Congrats!

2) You would be eligible to apply in 4 years & 9 months, assuming all requirements are met. You are still eligible in 5 years. There's a 90 day early filing period, but they cannot approve before the date of eligibility (not that they adjudicate within 90 days anyway...).

Timelines:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago

9/27/17: received by USCIS

10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received

10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received

10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update)

1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed

1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received

1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice

10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice

10/25/18: Formal approval

10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/17: sent

12/14/17: NOA1 hard copy received

3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification)

3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved!

3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received

4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy

4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy

4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, geowrian said:

Unauthorized work prior to having a green card is not an issue at all. It won't be held against you, especially since it was already (and properly! :thumbs: ) disclosed.

1) Congrats!

2) You would be eligible to apply in 4 years & 9 months, assuming all requirements are met. You are still eligible in 5 years. There's a 90 day early filing period, but they cannot approve before the date of eligibility (not that they adjudicate within 90 days anyway...).

Awesome and yeah that’s what my lawyer told me as well but we still have  to put the date I was hired on like my lawyer in my I-485 right? 

Edited by Visitor User

1 minute ago, Visitor User said:

Awesome and yeah that’s what my lawyer told me as well but we still have  to put the date I was hired on like my lawyer in my I-485 right? 

Correct.

Timelines:

Spoiler

10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, geowrian said:

Correct.

My taxes that I filed since I started to work in USA will also count towards my credits and social security income/disability and all the full benefits that normal USC get too right?

Edited by Visitor User

20 minutes ago, Visitor User said:

My taxes that I filed since I started to work in USA will also count towards my credits and social security income/disability and all the full benefits that normal USC get too right?

I'm not 100% certain on this, sorry. But my understanding from both others who went through it and the documents I have read is that all credits should count, even those earned while not authorized. Just note that those credits must be properly recorded (i.e. people paid under the table won't get credit, and those who used a false SSN may not have them credited to their account).

Timelines:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, geowrian said:

I'm not 100% certain on this, sorry. But my understanding from both others who went through it and the documents I have read is that all credits should count, even those earned while not authorized. Just note that those credits must be properly recorded (i.e. people paid under the table won't get credit, and those who used a false SSN may not have them credited to their account).

Yeah my lawyer said it will since it’s my own SSN and IRS doesn’t care about anyone’s immigration status.

Edited by Visitor User

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.