4 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Singapore
Timeline

Hi everyone! My husband and I will FINALLY be having our green card interview tomorrow and I just had a few clarifying questions!

In the checklist sent by USCIS, they said to bring affidavit of support forms unless already submitted. We've already submitted those when we initially filed for AOS. Will we need to show that again?

Secondly, I haven't had the chance to be added onto my husband's lease yet (he moved in when I was waiting in my home country for the K-1 visa) and when we called his landlord, he said he'd be developing the property and hence we are currently just on a month-by-month basis and won't be able to have a document showing a lease per se. Would that affect our chances of proving bonafide marriage? We have joint checking account, joint tax return, letters addressed to me at the same address, and document showing that I'm sole beneficiary of his life insurance plan. Would that be enough? Do they ask for A LOT of evidence at the interview? We have lots of pictures and tax forms etc but the one thing that worries me is the thing about the lease, that's all.

So yeah basically 1) do we need to bring affidavit of support again and 2) would our documents be sufficient to prove bonafide marriage?

Thank y'all! 

10 minutes ago, consy1992 said:

Hi everyone! My husband and I will FINALLY be having our green card interview tomorrow and I just had a few clarifying questions!

In the checklist sent by USCIS, they said to bring affidavit of support forms unless already submitted. We've already submitted those when we initially filed for AOS. Will we need to show that again?

Secondly, I haven't had the chance to be added onto my husband's lease yet (he moved in when I was waiting in my home country for the K-1 visa) and when we called his landlord, he said he'd be developing the property and hence we are currently just on a month-by-month basis and won't be able to have a document showing a lease per se. Would that affect our chances of proving bonafide marriage? We have joint checking account, joint tax return, letters addressed to me at the same address, and document showing that I'm sole beneficiary of his life insurance plan. Would that be enough? Do they ask for A LOT of evidence at the interview? We have lots of pictures and tax forms etc but the one thing that worries me is the thing about the lease, that's all.

So yeah basically 1) do we need to bring affidavit of support again and 2) would our documents be sufficient to prove bonafide marriage?

Thank y'all! 

We didn't bring a new I-864. All was fine.

I am also not on our lease. Our interviewing officer asked for it but we explained why. Our landlady actually said she thinks it's better for us to wait because I still had not found steady work. We're also month to month. The officer just shrugged and said, "Okay". We had basically all the same paperwork as you do (minus insurance policies because we had no health insurance - but we do now! - and I wasn't driving at the time). Interview went very smoothly and I got the GC shortly afterwards. You guys are fine!!

14 minutes ago, consy1992 said:

Potentially, yes. Usually, no.

The I-864 should be current as of when you present it (i.e. if you have a new job). Only present it if they request it.

14 minutes ago, consy1992 said:

A joint lease is not required. It is just one form of evidence. Other evidence is fine.

As to whether you have enough or not, there's no way to know what the IO wants to see specifically, and a lot of it is dependent on your circumstances. The best you can do is present a good, solid case. Adjusting from a K-1 usually doesn't raise much scrutiny either since you've already fairly-recently had the relationship scrutinized.

Good luck!!

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Singapore
Timeline

Thank  you both so much for your replies! I feel more at ease now :) I've just been paranoid about under-preparing so thank y'all :) 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.