Nc1021

221g After appointment in Guatemala.

21 posts in this topic

My husband had his appointment in Guatemala on Wednesday February 27th. Apparently due to new regulations you now need to bring tax transcripts to your appointment which we did not bring so he was given a 221(g) denial. The man at the consulate was really nice and assured him that when documents were submitted he’d be all good. Anyways on the 28th the transcripts were submitted along with his passport. Anyone have any idea how long this could take for him to get his visa if approved or similar experience? I know each case is different and account processing times always vary- just hoping for some luck here...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Welcome to the forum.  Your thread is now moved from the "Moving to the US" forum to the Mexico/Latin/South America regional forum so that you might get country-specific answers. :) 

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Eliza

We are out of account processing and my husband is home! It took a month but things move quickly down there. Our appointment was on the 27th. He was denied 221g for not having the tax transcript but that was all. We sent it in on Thursday the 28th and I believe the embassy received it and began reviewing it on Monday the 4th that Friday (the 8th) we received an email saying passport was being returned- we got super excited only to find out that we had submitted the wrong transcript(there are 4 to chose from). We went to cargo express to pick up the passport and submitted the correct transcript on Monday the 11th on Friday our status changed to “issued”. If you go prepared- everything will be great! Our errors made the process longer then it had to be! Good luck to you and your husband. If you have any other questions I’m here! 

Edited by Nc1021

Thanks so much for getting back to me! And I am glad to hear everything went well and you are done with everything. Can you explain what you mean by the "correct" transcript? Which was the one that you needed out of the four. 

My husband's interview is April 5, I am hoping everything goes smoothly. Incredibly nervous. What other questions did they ask?

Thanks so much for your time.  

We received an email in January saying they were now requiring tax transcripts for the affidavit of support- I included the email we got. There are four types of transcripts on the irs website (wage & income, account transcript, tax return transcript, and one other I can’t remeber) the sponsor can just go online and sign into the IRS website and print the correct one or the one the embassy wants which is the tax return transcript

They asked: how long we’ve been married. Where we live. What he does for work/ if your spouse works. When did he enter the United States and how many times. Has he lived in another country. Any problems with police/ immigration.

If your husband speaks English my husband said he received lots of kudos for doing the interview in English. He also said that if he has tattoos and they are visible that they may ask what they mean. Bring pictures/ letters of you two together or family because sometimes they want proof of relationship however they didn’t ask us as we’ve been married for over 5 years I’m assuming it’s more common for the cr1 visa rather then ir1. My husband also said that they will want a recent police clearance and birth certificate- he went to go get it once he got down there. 

Im sure you are so anxious! I was too. I was pleased to see how quickly the embassy moves down there though. You’ll be fine! I hope to hear that things go smoothly for you guys! It’s not an easy situation.

C114415D-BC85-4323-AFD2-116045E254C2.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 3/4/2019 at 3:39 PM, Nc1021 said:

My husband had his appointment in Guatemala on Wednesday February 27th. Apparently due to new regulations you now need to bring tax transcripts to your appointment which we did not bring so he was given a 221(g) denial. The man at the consulate was really nice and assured him that when documents were submitted he’d be all good. Anyways on the 28th the transcripts were submitted along with his passport. Anyone have any idea how long this could take for him to get his visa if approved or similar experience? I know each case is different and account processing times always vary- just hoping for some luck here...

Hey, so I have something very similar happen to me and I have a question if you don’t mind. My husband was missing an updated birth certificate, a tax transcript, and the correct police report. We got all of them that afternoon and submitted it the same day. 

1) what color was your 221g form? (Mine was yellow and I’m curious as to what the significance is)

2) Did you check CEAC periodically or wait for the email? Mine was updated today and it still says refused. 

My husband said that the interview went really well so I don’t really have reason to believe otherwise. I just really miss him.

Hi there,

I know the feeling well! 

I missed my husband too- in total from when he left to when he returned- it took exactly a month. 

It took him a week longer because the tax transcript was the wrong one (they wanted the tax return transcript) and it took them a week to process the incorrect one and let us know we made a mistake. My husbands paper I believe was yellow too- I checked the CEAC hourly (I don’t recommend that it does nothing but drive you crazy). My husbands was updated frequently but stayed at “administrative processing” the whole time until we were approved - the last updated information changed frequently though.

my husband said the same thing- he had a great interview but was lacking the right documentation- only the tax transcript and so I believe it should just be a matter of getting everything turned in.

hope this helps. 

Hope you get some good news soon! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2019 at 8:48 AM, Nc1021 said:

Hi there,

I know the feeling well! 

I missed my husband too- in total from when he left to when he returned- it took exactly a month. 

It took him a week longer because the tax transcript was the wrong one (they wanted the tax return transcript) and it took them a week to process the incorrect one and let us know we made a mistake. My husbands paper I believe was yellow too- I checked the CEAC hourly (I don’t recommend that it does nothing but drive you crazy). My husbands was updated frequently but stayed at “administrative processing” the whole time until we were approved - the last updated information changed frequently though.

my husband said the same thing- he had a great interview but was lacking the right documentation- only the tax transcript and so I believe it should just be a matter of getting everything turned in.

hope this helps. 

Hope you get some good news soon! 

Hey, it’s me again. Sorry to keep bugging you but I had another question. My husband got approved on Aug 3rd (hallelujah). Well, that was a Friday. Today (Aug 12th) would be business day #6. I read somewhere it can take up to 10 business days but I’d like to know how long from being “issued” to picking it up did it take for you? Also, did cargo expreso send you the email? I’m kinda skeptical about them sending the email. I just don’t want to miss it. 

Also, we’ve called and they say they haven’t received it. 

You’re not bugging me at all! Im

happy to answer any questions for you. My husband also got approved on a Friday and was able to pick up the package at cargo expreso that Monday. I would suspect it should be any day now! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2019 at 3:39 PM, Nc1021 said:

Thanks for the information! Could you be able to provide experience with the medical exam? I had some weird questions in the questionnaire the doctor sent me which I feel is not related to a “medical exam”. Thanks!

• 7 months later...
Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Guatemala
Timeline
On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 4:39 PM, Nc1021 said:

I know this post is old but what documents did they rejected at the interview? did you not bring your form 1040/W2s? that's all I have and Transcripts are not being processed right now due to the pandemic and I'm a little concerned. your help will be much appreciated.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

The OP hasn't logged on to VJ since August.

It's possible that the consulate might accept your available tax documents, or issue a 221g for the transcripts.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

They rejected the tax transcripts we provided. At the appointment my husband didn’t have the tax transcript from his sponsor and he needed to have it. Finally when we got the transcript we got the wrong one. I believe we gave them the wage and income transcript which was wrong. They want the tax return transcript. At the time, it was necessary to have it. We got it online - but perhaps things are different now with the pandemic. 

Edited by Nc1021

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.