drfino

Chances of getting a B1 visa while K1 is processing?

5 posts in this topic

My K1 petition was approved and my fiancee is waiting to schedule her K1 interview in GUZ.

She has a business trip to the US scheduled in May, and her company is helping her apply for a business visa complete with formal invitation letters/the works.

We have a funny situation in that we work for the same international team within our company, and I will also be attending the business trip as an employee.

We plan on being honest at every step of the way, and explaining that the purpose of the tourist visa is business, but I will also visit her while she is here.

Our long term plan is to get married in July on the K1, not in May on the tourist visa (aka fraud, no thank you). 

On the DS-160, she will note that she has a fiance in the US, but she was told by the her office visa workers that if she did so, the visa would be denied outright.

I'm wondering if it is even worth it to try to apply for the B1 visa, or just skip the hassle altogether and focus on the K1 processing.

She's been looking forward to this US business trip for a while, and I can't think of a worse time for this K1 visa stuff to start up for her.

Thanks in advance for any insight you guys have.

Edited by drfino

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
33 minutes ago, drfino said:

My K1 petition was approved and my fiancee is waiting to schedule her K1 interview in GUZ.

She has a business trip to the US scheduled in May, and her company is helping her apply for a business visa complete with formal invitation letters/the works.

We have a funny situation in that we work for the same international team within our company, and I will also be attending the business trip as an employee.

We plan on being honest at every step of the way, and explaining that the purpose of the tourist visa is business, but I will also visit her while she is here.

Our long term plan is to get married in July on the K1, not in May on the tourist visa (aka fraud, no thank you). 

On the DS-160, she will note that she has a fiance in the US, but she was told by the her office visa workers that if she did so, the visa would be denied outright.

I'm wondering if it is even worth it to try to apply for the B1 visa, or just skip the hassle altogether and focus on the K1 processing.

She's been looking forward to this US business trip for a while, and I can't think of a worse time for this K1 visa stuff to start up for her.

Thanks in advance for any insight you guys have.

Immigration already knows she applied for a K1. They might not say it, but they now everything that's going regarding US visas.

If anything on the DS-160 asks about any other visa (in your case K1) she has to be honest. Lying is going to get both visas denied and might even give her a ban from the US.

Idk what embassy GUZ is, but I know it can be really hard to obtain a tourist visa when there's a visa pending that has immigration intent. She needs to provide really strong proof that she's gonna go back to her home country to wait for the K1 after her business trip is done.

Some people do get a tourist visa with pending K1, some don't. Only way to find out is by going to the interview and find out. A denied B1 visa won't have any effect on her K1 visa

Edited by C90

2 minutes ago, C90 said:

Only way to find out is by going to the interview and find out. 

Thank you for your advice. Our plan is to go ahead with the B1 application and bring everything from the K1 approval letters to her rent/paychecks/work letters/etc.

I'll also write up a letter explaining the current K1 processing status and our future plans.

Also,

GUZ = Guangzhou consulate, they do all the K1 processing apparently

The B1 would be applied for in Beijing, most likely.

Thanks again.

1 minute ago, Ate said:

Note that the DS-160 form explicitly includes fiance/fiancee in the definition of immediate relatives.  For your fiancee's B1 visa application, she should say Yes to that question and provide your information.

Right, thank you. Even though it'll likely be grounds for denial, it's not worth a likely permanent ban from the US for trying to hide me.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.