Dave2019

Advice Needed. K1 Visa with child. Ukraine

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

My girlfriend and I have been dating for a few years now. She' has attempted numerous times for a B1 Visitors visa with no avail. We both knew it was a long shot but made 5 attempts. She has a child from a previous relationship whom will be 6 years old soon.  I want to apply for both her and her son. But the situation is this. His father is from UAE, he has not been a part of his son's life since his son was only a few months old.  She has talked with him about attaining letter so that she can apply for the K1. I've read this can be asked for my immigration.  Is this something i need to be concerned about? And if so, what can we do to ensure a smooth journey.

Edited by Dave2019

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I think this is something she should resolve internally in Ukraine, as in confirm she has sole custody of the child legally. If she does, I would imagine it won't be an issue. But this is a type of topic she actually might benefit from an attorney. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
12 hours ago, Dave2019 said:

My girlfriend and I have been dating for a few years now. She' has attempted numerous times for a B1 Visitors visa with no avail. We both knew it was a long shot but made 5 attempts. She has a child from a previous relationship whom will be 6 years old soon.  I want to apply for both her and her son. But the situation is this. His father is from UAE, he has not been a part of his son's life since his son was only a few months old.  She has talked with him about attaining letter so that she can apply for the K1. I've read this can be asked for my immigration.  Is this something i need to be concerned about? And if so, what can we do to ensure a smooth journey.

The embassy will want a notarized document from the father providing his permission for the child to emigrate.  

YMMV

Timeline

What to do if the father won't give permission? He's never been a part of the child's life but whenever she tracked him down to ask for this permission he refused. Is there a particular process that I need to suggest that she go through to get full custody without his permission due to abandonment? Preferably without an attorney because some of the prices that I've gotten from Ukrainian attorneys is outrageous.

Edited by Dave2019

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Dave2019 said:

What to do if the father won't give permission? He's never been a part of the child's life but whenever she tracked him down to ask for this permission he refused. Is there a particular process that I need to suggest that she go through to get full custody without his permission due to abandonment? Preferably without an attorney because some of the prices that I've gotten from Ukrainian attorneys is outrageous.

If permission cannot be acquired, then an action by the courts would be the next step.

YMMV

Timeline
Just now, payxibka said:

If permission cannot be acquired, then an action by the courts would be the next step.

What would this process be called? I'm familiar with custody court in the United States but I know nothing about Ukraine and all the information I try to find leads me nowhere.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Dave2019 said:

What would this process be called? I'm familiar with custody court in the United States but I know nothing about Ukraine and all the information I try to find leads me nowhere.

This is why we have regional forums.  Your best bet is to ask there

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/98-russia-ukraine-and-belarus/

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.