Jump to content
linuxma

About getting state Id using ead card

9 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi guys today I went to Secretary of State to apply for state Id they ask for 2 prof of address I gave them my bank statement and my approval notice or ead plus ead card and my passport, Ssn , the lady she was talking about my visa is expired and she made copy of all documents and she says she will call me soon seems she don’t know what she is doing or this the normal process in Michigan 

Edited by linuxma

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, linuxma said:

Hi guys today I went to Secretary of State to apply for state Id they ask for 2 prof of address I gave them my bank statement and my approval notice or ead plus ead card and my passport, Ssn , the lady she was talking about my visa is expired and she made copy of all documents and she says she will call me soon seems she don’t know what she is doing or this the normal process in Michigan 

In most states you cannot get state ID or DL until your EAD or GC is approved (whichever comes first) as you have no legal status until then.

Edited by K1visaHopeful

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just looked up Michigan's policy and yes you are the same. You cannot get MI state ID until you are either a US resident (proven with the GC) or have legal presence (proven with the EAD as an approved EAD proves you are pending AOS). Receipts from your AOS application do not prove that.

 

https://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,7-127-1627_8668_53359_53361-213197--,00.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, K1visaHopeful said:

I just looked up Michigan's policy and yes you are the same. You cannot get MI state ID until you are either a US resident (proven with the GC) or have legal presence (proven with the EAD as an approved EAD proves you are pending AOS). Receipts from your AOS application do not prove that.

 

https://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,7-127-1627_8668_53359_53361-213197--,00.html

I went there with ead card I just got it few days ago in the mail 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, linuxma said:

and my approval notice or ead plus ead card

Sorry I didnt understand what this meant.^^^^^

You should be able to get a standard ID then but not the enhanced. 

Print out the link i provided and show her?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

Sorry I didnt understand what this meant.^^^^^

You should be able to get a standard ID then but not the enhanced. 

 Print out the link i provided and show her?

same i called their support they said they will do exception i don't understand what they mean lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, linuxma said:

same i called their support they said they will do exception i don't understand what they mean lol

The thinking in the US is this: illegal Immigrants are not allowed to drive or have US identification. Everyone is presumed illegal until proven otherwise. Your EAD card proves you have applied for AOS but your EAD does not make you a legal permanent resident. Therefore, to them you're still an illegal immigrant. And illegal immigrants aren't entitled to anything. 

Edited by K1visaHopeful

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, K1visaHopeful said:

The thinking in the US is this: Immigrants are not allowed to drive or have US identification. Everyone is presumed illegal until proven otherwise. Your EAD card proves you have applied for AOS but your EAD does not make you a legal permanent resident. Therefore, to them you're still an illegal immigrant. And illegal immigrants aren't entitled to anything. 

ok seems crazy 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...